We stayed 2 nights in the Ocean View room (top floor).
First the pros:
the house was well maintained and painted in beautiful, happy colors (orange & white)
a spacious, clean room
spacious, clean bathroom with jacuzzi
large, clean closet/wardrobe
AC and fan worked perfectly
wonderful, large (but not private) deck with great ocean and islands views - fantastic sunsets!
good working (free) high speed internet access
less expensive than a hotel
Unfortunately there were quite some cons too:
situated in an average residential area
not enough parking space for all guests
we didn't see much of the inn keepers; it was kind of difficult to communicate with Bill, because he doesn't seem to hear very well. Jaime wasn't too friendly: she even turned her head when my wife encountered her!
the bed wasn't very comfortable: a bit too hard with a "bump" in the middle
the rooms are noisy/thin-walled; we could very well hear the other guests talking (and such!) in their rooms, the moment they used their jacuzzi was the moment we had to put in our earplugs!
very, very poor "continental" breakfast; only some pastries cut into small pieces and strange flavoured coffee. Come early or you will miss it - NO restocking! On the other hand, come late - it's BETTER to miss breakfast in the Garden Gate! Oh, and no breakfast in the weekend... isn't that kind of weird in a "Bed & Breakfast"?
What bothered us the most though, was the fact that someone snooped around in our room. We knew and accepted we wouldn't get any service, so we left our suitcases and stuff unlocked in our room. We left the first morning and returned later in the afternoon and it was very obvious that someone had been in our room; even our bedlinen was touched; we left the bedlinen in a certain way (I admit: on purpose) and it was very different when we returned: we both immediately noticed it upon entering the room. We don't like people (even the owners) in our room, unless - of course - to make the bed, change the bedlinen, change the towels or remove the trash from the trash can... BUT none of those things were done!! What had they been doing in our room then? We went down and asked Bill about this and he said it must have been the cleaning girl... Nothing was cleaned though. It was really difficult to communicate with Bill, so we decided to let it go - not very satisfying.
All in all, our stay was a mixed experience of good and bad things. I guess that, next time, we will look for another place to stay on Maui.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maui Garden Oasis offers elegant and affordable vacation rental accommodations in west Maui, Hawaii. Our accommodations are centrally located one mile from historic Old Lahaina Town and the Kaanapali Beach coastline. We are also located 30 minutes away from Kahului Airport. Our Maui home features decks with panoramic ocean views of Molokai, Lanai, and Oahu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Gate Hotel Lahaina
- Garden Gate b&b
- Garden Gate Bed And Breakfast Maui/Lahaina