“Probably the best snorkel trip I've done on Maui!”

Ocean Riders Adventure Tours
Ranked #37 of 133 Tours in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: The Original Lanai tour established in 1988. Only Ocean Riders circumnavigates the island of Lanai on a continual, year round basis. Nobody knows the island better. Others have tried imitating our trip but it cannot be duplicated. Our boat is the perfect vessel for handling what Lanai has to offer and the others just can't or won't do what we do. No timers to call you back from the water and cutting your time short (the other tours can't say that).
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Probably the best snorkel trip I've done on Maui!”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Just took Ocean Riders' Lana'i Circle Trip on Saturday, May 23. I have probably done about a dozen similar types of trips throught the islands, but I'd rate this probably the best. First, the boat takes a MAXIMUM of 18 people and we were lucky enough to have only 10 that day. That means individualized and personal attention from Chad, the fearless Captain and Patty his terrific right hand woman. They both went out of their way to provide the best experience possible.

We snorkeled at three separate spots and all were good, though the third was amazing - like swimming in an aquarium! We had the amazing good fortune to see a humpback whale, flying fish, manta rays, and an amazing pod of 50or more spinner dolphins, and Chad was so willing to stop and explore and allow us to get photos. (Other trip operators I've been with basically say, "OK, time to move on!") At one snorkel site, Patty tossed some bread crumbs into the water to attract the fish and give us an amazing up-close experience with dozens of fish. She also dove down to the bottom to retrieve an octupus to show us, and gave very informative talks about things we were seeing. At one point I foolishly didn't hang onto my cap, and it flew off. I was not even going to say anything, but Patty saw me looking behind the boat and as soon as she learned what happened, she said something to Chad and he pulled the fastest 180 degree turn and retrieved my cap for me, graciously making me feel at ease and not embarrassed. On many trips, I have found that boat crews can be impersonal or even condescending, and Chad and Patty's approach was just the opposite. By the end of the day they felt like new friends.

The snorkel equipment they provided was excellent - the first time I've ever had a mask on one of these trips that didn't leak even ONCE! They also served a delicious deli lunch - go for the tuna! My ONLY "complaint" that would make me rate them only a 9.5 instead of a 10 would be that some muffins or coffee cake at the breakfast would have been great, and that they should replace the candy bars at lunch with some chocolate chip cookies... (OK, I am a foodie!)

Thank you Chad and Patty for a day I'll remember for a long time to come. You're the best!

Matt Davis
San Francisco, CA

Cleveland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Must do Tour in Maui”
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We booked the Ocean Riders full day snorkel on Friday May 22, 2009 and it was wonderful. The concierge at our hotel recommended the tour since it was a smaller boat and went all the way around Lanai. We were especially interested in the fact that it's a small boat since we had never snorkeled before and we wanted a small group so that we would have more time with the guides. Patty and Chad were the nicest people and they knew so much about the island of Lanai and the fish that we saw on the snorkel. They both got in the water and pointed things out to us, also they picked excellent snorkel sights!! We swam with turtles, saw beautiful fish and the water was very clear. It also helped that we had beautiful weather, Patty and Chad said that it was one of the best days they had this year. The ocean was very calm and we were able to swim to a beach on Lanai and walk along the beach and swim back to the boat. We also saw a huge pod of dolphins on the way back and they were very active and jumping and spinning out of the water, it was the perfect ending to a perfect day!! I would definitely book this tour again and it was worth every penny that we spent. Also, the lunch was very good and although we were last in line for the food there was more than enough left that we each had a sandwich and the side dishes.

Los Angeles CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worth every penny!”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

If your going to do one thing while on Maui, take Ocean Riders tour around the island of Lanai. The two guides, Chad and Patty, and extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I don't think there is one inch of the coast line they haven't explored. For you snorkelers this is a paradise, visibility must be 75 feet (probably more), I wanted them to leave me on Lanai and pick me up the next day. They serve lunch on the boat while sitting in a peaceful cove, it was just awesome. Next time I go to Maui I will take this trip again!

Maui
“GET ON THIS BOAT!!! The Best Time our Family's Ever Had on Maui!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My Family and I just had the Time Of Our Lives! If you do only one thing on Maui, make sure you Book the Maui Ocean Rider Snorkel Trip that wraps around Lanai! Your Friends and Family will love it! I've never written a review like this before, and you probably haven't either, but I gaurantee you this trip will make you want to "scream out and tell the world to get on that boat!' My adreneline is still pumping!

san clemente
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worst tour ever”
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This tour would have been great provided that the guide only goes out in good weather. we went on Mar. 19,2009. The sky was overcast at 6:30 a.m. when we left. As we bounced our way over to Lanai the weather got worse. One woman was seasick for most of the trip.Our guide tried to pretend that the circumstances did not matter, but the weather continued to worsen. By 10:00 a.m. it was cold and raining. We were all sopping wet and miserable. The tour guide did not seem to care and kept doing her "talk". Finally by noon we were able to vote whether to cut the trip short.Everyone agreed to go back thankgoodness. Be sure you know the weather before you go !

3 Thank JoanSanClemente