“Best Trip to Lanaii”

Ocean Riders Adventure Tours
Ranked #28 of 137 Tours in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: The Original Lanai tour established in 1988. Only Ocean Riders circumnavigates the island of Lanai on a continual, year round basis. Nobody knows the island better. Others have tried imitating our trip but it cannot be duplicated. Our boat is the perfect vessel for handling what Lanai has to offer and the others just can't or won't do what we do. No timers to call you back from the water and cutting your time short (the other tours can't say that).
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Having done a catamaran trip to Lanai I was looking for something more adventurous. Ocean riders provided exactly that. If you have issues with being out on potentially rough ocean on a zodiac that bounces across the waves, extended sun exposure and peeing in the ocean then this isn't the trip for you. If you can deal with the above, you will have a great time exploring the coast of Lanai and snorkeling pristine reefs. The significant advantage that is provided by circumnavigating the island is that they can almost always find protected snorkeling sites.

3  Thank David H
in 6 reviews
"small group"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 28, 2014

had a blast! the guides, arron and ian, made the day! great personality, super patient, and just fun to be stuck on a boat with. we enjoyed great scenery, 3 dive sites, and a great ride. by far the best day we spent in maui. if you are only here once and this may be a one shot deal for you to snorkel, take this trip. so worth the money!

2  Thank oklahoma-girl227
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Me and my husband did the Circumnavigate Lana'i in July and it was spectacular! The snorkel spots were excellent, the lunch was delicious and far better then I expected, and we were lucky enough to see bottle nose dolphins as well as spinner dolphins. The boat ride was also not as bad as I feared either. Reading some reviews I was expecting a terrible boating experience, but it was actually quite fun! I will say it may not be for everyone as it can be a bumby and wet experience at times. They tell you to bring sunscreen and I will echo that. Overall we would definitely do this again if given the opportunity!

2  Thank spotadot
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have been to Hawaii 15 times over the years and thought we had done every adventure the islands had to offer. Boy were we wrong! We were on a family and friends vacation and wanted to do something new. We found Ocean Riders 7.5 hour snorkel adventure, Circumnavigate Lanai and decided to give it a try. Let me first state this excursion may not be for everyone, we are an adventurous group and the ride out to Lanai and back to the harbor can be more than many would like to experience (depending on the seas). We were first greeted by Captain Aaron and first mate Ian with good humor and a small offering of breakfast (not much but breakfast bars and juice). We were a group of 8 and shared the boat with 10 others. The boat is a hard bot tom pontoon boat with twin engines. There is ample room for all to sit, but just a few actual seats, most sit along the edge of the boats pontoons. If the entire trip was just the boat ride that would be a viable excursion, but throw in viewing ship wrecks, spinner dolphins, three amazing snorkel stops ( especially the Sharks Fin rock outcropping, which was some of the best snorkeling we have experienced in the world) and a tasty lunch you have an amazing family memory. Aaron was an extremely accomplished captain and knowledgeable of the islands history. On two occasions Ian dove down deep and brought up an octopus as well as dove down and retrieved a wedding ring for a newly married couple on their honeymoon. As stated above the ride out and back can be a bit overwhelming for some, but we always felt Captain Aaron had full control over the boat. If you are looking for something new and adventurous this is the trip for you.

3  Thank Trip C
See more reviews
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Yesterday I took another trip with Ocean Riders. I think this makes seven trips for me over the last two decades ... I've lost track. I'll be back for another trip as soon as possible. Chad and Aaron have taken over the business from the beloved Rick and Patty, and they do the same wonderful job of keeping passengers safe, wet, happy, well fed, and well informed that I've always enjoyed. They know what they're doing inside and out, and there's never a doubt that safe behavior from everyone is the rule. The boat, boat handling, and weather awareness are superb (I'm a longtime WA state ocean salmon fisherman, very picky about skippers' skills). Even with the usual full boat, there's no feeling of being crowded, and no one goes thirsty or hungry or chilled. I'm 64 yrs. old, not quite as zippy as I used to be, and I felt treated like royalty (as I think all passengers feel). When sea spray during the morning crossing got me a little cold, the boat was stopped and I was wrapped in waterproofs. No snorkeling or athletic skills are required; they'll give you lessons if you want. Kids (eight or nine+ year olds) are a delight to have aboard, and every trip includes newlyweds, it seems. It makes for a happy day, and 100% cheerfulness throughout the trip for everyone just comes along naturally. Take the trip. It's a joy.

1  Thank DaveOsborneBremerton