“Ok food with an Ok view”

Pioneer Inn Grill and Bar
Ranked #39 of 265 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy Breakfast, Lunch, Happy Hour and Dinner at the historic Pioneer Inn Grill and Bar. Breakfast favorites include macadamia nut pancakes, loco moco and huevos rancheros in addition to healthy favorites like oatmeal or yogurt with fresh fruit. For lunch and dinner we offer the freshest fish, Maui grown burgers and steaks and a full range of small plates including hearts of Romaine caesar salad, seared ahi and kahlua pig sliders. The historic whalers saloon is the perfect place to watch the fishing boats come in with their catch while enjoying one of our Mai tais or another tropical favorite. We offer local draft beer and know that you will find our resident African gray parrot entertaining.
Olympia
“Ok food with an Ok view”
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Our family of four (kids 6 and 9) ate here for breakfast. We were seated almost immediately as there was no wait. We thought we we were in for a good experience as we were seated where we could see the marina. The view is not the best but you can see some water and boats as they leave the marina.

Our service was not so good. We had three different people helping us but unfortunately not at the same time and the service was slow and sporadic. We had to ask for refills on drinks and no one really checked back on us.

The macadamia nut pancakes were pretty good but nothing to write home to mom about. The kids meals were reasonably priced as far as Maui prices go but again nothing to get excited about.

I cant say I recommend the place but cant say I wouldnt return either. Just ok.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Much overlooked, but a great place to go for breakfast or lunch particularly down by Lahaina Harbor and the banyan...”
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Much overlooked, but a great place to go for breakfast or lunch particularly down by Lahaina Harbor and the banyan tree. Restrooms used to be locked and for patrons only; they've recently relaxed their policy on this, so are seeing more people coming through the bar. Sit outside if you want to people watch.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Hawaii
“Mediocre Harborside Dining”
Reviewed September 6, 2007

The best thing this restaurant has going for it is the location - right in the middle of Lahaina next to the harbor and the big banyan tree. If you can get a table next to one of the windows facing the water then you will have a ringside seat to all the comings and goings at harbor. The decor is a little shopworn but at least it has more authentic flavor than the fake stuff they use at chain restaurants like Chili's and TGI Fridays. The employees, however, seem disinterested, if not downright grumpy. We went for breakfast. I ordered the "macadamia nut pancakes." As I found out, that meant they took a grand total of two, possibly three, macadamia nuts, chopped them up into tiny pieces and sprinkled them on top of the pancakes along with some powdered sugar. And for that they charged me an extra two dollars. At a dollar a nut those are some expensive macadamias they've got there! I guess I was kidding myself by thinking they were going to mix the nuts into the batter. And don't order the larger size pancakes unless you have a sumo sized appetite (like our friend Jayne) - stick to the regular size. We didn't try this place for lunch or dinner - so you might have better results if you go then. It's not a terribly bad place for breakfast, but they could, and should, do better.

1 Thank malandinara
NE Ware
“Nothing to write home about”
Reviewed January 17, 2007

We ate here during a brief jaunt through Lahaina.

I ordered the Ceviche which was wonderful. Lots of chunks of white fish and scallops. DON'T order the guacamole though, its the same stuff you get a local grocery store on the mainland - boring and made by gringos. Apparently, avocados don't grow on the islands.

My husband had the burger, which was pretty good, much cheaper and just as big as the ones they serve at the ubiquitous Cheeseburger in Paradise joints on the islands.
Lunch entrees run from $12-$25, which is a bargain on Maui.

We ate outside and that was very nice. The decor inside is a clash between Long John Silver and TGI Friday's, so come in with a sense of humor.

Servers were OK but remember this is Maui, not NYC so don't expect anyone to be in a rush.

1 Thank Girlparadise
Las Vegas, Nevada
“dang that's a lot of sashimi!!”
Reviewed December 17, 2006

This is actually one of the mainstays of Lahaina for me when I go. It is a sentimental place that is close to my heart. I’ve watched the wharf change over the last decade or so but I am happy to see some things stay the same. The ‘old time’ atmosphere at the Pioneer is as it should be; you can actually feel as though the rest of the island was as it was 100 years ago. Sadly on this visit I could only manage a plate of sashimi (a HUGE plate of beautifully fresh Ahi) and since I was nursing a vicious flu at the time, I had their famous clam chowder. It totally hit the spot. And you have to have at least one of The Harpoon tropical drinks. Zowie.
Really there is not one bad thing on the menu there. No matter what you get, it’s comfort food of the island. Thumbs up.

3 Thank jwneddotcom