“Ahhhhhhhh let me beam back there”

Kaanapali Sunset Luau at Black Rock
Book In Advance
More Info
$111.00*
and up
Kaanapali Sunset Luau in Maui
Ranked #11 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The whole experience of seeing the sun set behind the island of Lanai takes my breath away. It is romantic, yearning and fun. Seeing the sunset made me yearn to move on the island and live the rest of my days there.

1  Thank PoconoTravelor4

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have attended other luaus and felt that the food was mediocre and very expensive so we were thrilled to learn that we could attend this luau as "show only". It cost $33 instead of about $100 per per person. This included the show and unlimited drinks. Our concerns that our seats probably wouldn't be very good were unfounded. The seats were great!! You can reserve tickets by calling the phone number on the Sheraton Luau website and may cancel up until 24 hours prior to the luau. We highly recommend this option!

4  Thank MICritic55
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I can not imagine a trip to Hawaii without attending a Luau. The food was "okay" but the show was outstanding. The Host kept the evening interesting and I loved his voice. Be sure to go up for the hula lessons at the beginning. It was a fun way to start the evening. We had a party of 4 and 3 couples joined our table. We had a wonderful, laugh filled evening. Hello to Analise, Ann and Val. The best table on the lawn. The men enjoyed watching the hula dancers and of course the ladies enjoyed the beautiful Hawaiian men.

1  Thank NorthHeroKatie
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If I had paid full price for the dinner option (over $100/person) I would rate this 2 stars. I am by no means a food snob, but there is no way I would pay that much for a buffet dinner eating at round tables on plastic chairs with strangers. My party of 4 (three adults and one toddler) enjoyed our own dinner at our condo and then rolled over to the Sheraton for the 6:45 check-in for the cocktail and show only option. There were no lines at that time and we saw the remnants of the buffet food, which did not look spectacular. We were seated at a table toward the back with another family who had also done the cocktail and show only option, which is worth $32/person for unlimited drinks (they were decent) and the actual show.

The musicians were excellent and the fire dancers were amazing. There was no cliff dive the night we were there, which was a disappointment. It was very windy, and my guess is that due to the large waves the cliff dive did not happen and it was likely announced during the dinner portion before we arrived. Plan ahead if it is windy because it gets cooler as the sun goes down. I had pants and a windbreaker for my toddler, but the other family at our table had two girls who got cold and their mother purchased sweatshirts from the Sheraton gift shop during the show (and that certainly eats into any savings of doing the cocktail and show only option!).

I wish they would raise the height of the stage by at least 6 inches so people toward the back would have a better view of the dancers (and be able to see their feet moving). As others have mentioned, there was a lot of "filler" material during the show with shout outs to every group imaginable (newlyweds, veterans, birthdays, etc) and watching newlywed guys try to hula. This would not have been worth paying $100 for, but I am glad we at least did it once for $32/person. I would not be inclined to attend another luau on my next trip to Hawaii, because although it is fun to watch, overall it's not that spectacular.

2  Thank ChampCamp
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Would you pay roughly $100 per person for a buffet dinner and an hour-long dance revue, a third of which is spent killing time while the dancers change costumes, in ordinary circumstances? I wouldn't either, which is why my first visit to the Sheraton Maui Luau will also surely be my last. The drinks are very watered down, and the buffet is NOT all-you-can-eat, which I would have expected given the ticket price. The food is fine, but not at all memorable. The show itself is only an hour long, and includes at least 15-20 minutes of inviting (usually male) guests on stage to embarrass themselves trying to hula. The fire dancer is fun, but his act lasts only about five minutes. On the plus side, there are good photo opps, but that is mainly a result of the beautiful Sheraton property, which can be visited anytime for free. Also, the Cliff Diving ceremony happens literally every night, again for free; there is no need to pay for the luau to see this! This is the only luau I have been to, so perhaps this is par for the course (or better) -- but either way, I won't be back.

2  Thank NYYankeesFan84