“Great introduction to SUP”

Goofy Foot Surf School, Inc
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer Surfing and Standup Paddle Boarding Lessons for all ages with our pro-instructors in beautiful Lahaina, Maui
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We chose this surf school to learn Stand Up Paddleboarding. We are from the Chicago area, and have not yet had a chance to try this activity. Luke was our guide and he was great! He was thorough at showing us the basic techniques we needed to get going. We started in a calm lagoon area and paddled further out to a channel where we saw several sea turtles. Luke had us sit for a while to take in the awesome views of the shoreline, as well as to keep the water calm to attract more sea turtles. It was amazing! We did this activity as a family including our 9 & 12 year old kids. They were naturals. I only wish we didn't save this for the end of our trip. I'm hooked :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)
All reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 19 reviews
"first timers"

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife's aunt recommended Goof Foot for our surf lessons, and we were very pleased with the entire experience. We had Bully as an instructor (let him explain the name, it will amuse you), and his instruction really embodies the soul of what surfing in Hawaii is all about. Not to mention, my wife, our son, and I all got up on the first try (ok, it took me 2 tries, but I got up).

You can then rent boards from them for a great price, and they include reef shoes and a rash guard int he price.

Lastly, we greatly appreciated how they not only taught us the mechanics of surfing, but also the etiquette of the sport. We quickly learned the ins and outs of being out on the waves with other surfers. We were surfing later on our own, following the lessons we learned with Bully, with some other school at a different beach. 2 of their surfers almost took out my wife. I was so disgusted I left the water and we eventually went to a different beach to surf. Apparently, some other schools and instructors don't teach their students safety and proper etiquette. Thanks Goofy Foot!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My grand daughter had a great time. Good folks. Rafael was her instructor thumbs up to him. My grand couldn't stop talking about the experience.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Lets start this out by me saying the closest I generally come to salt near my mouth is a margarita. Amen. But my son is a different order. He wanted to surf. Goofy Foot was recommended by a guy at a kiosk. Fair enuf. From a distance it looked like they got good instruction. My only concern was when they hit the water there were ALOT of people in the area and the instructor only took one person at a time. In the 2 hours Cory said he made only 5 runs. Didn't seem like much to me. Being a skiing instructor I wanted as much skiing as possible for my students. Cory said he enjoyed himself and really that's all that counts.