“Overpriced Dinner Cruise”

Fairborn, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Overpriced Dinner Cruise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked this for our second day on the island. We were sat at a table for 4 but it was only my wife and I so it was quite romantic in that sense(I would not have been sat at a table with another couple). They served drinks first(there is a limit of 3) and the selection was acceptable. There was an extra charge for some drinks and premium liquors.
We saw quite a bit of whale activity on the trip, it was defiantly the best part of the experience. When the food came it was very average. I had steak that was prepared medium. It was medium but tough and not very tender. My wife had fish that was pretty good, but over cooked. The entertainment was a solo lady that sang some Hawaiian folk music and some oldies.
Overall the trip was overpriced(we payed $100 each) but was nice to see whales and enjoy a great sunset on Maui.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank jebneets

Huntington Beach, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very peaceful :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

It's a very quaint boat with full bar and good people from all around the world , Ive seen a few whales thus far and I'm relaxing to some great music and beautiful scenery ... Life is Good !

1 Thank Graybarnett
Salt Lake City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

I wholeheartedly recommend the Pacific Whale Foundation for any type of ocean wildlife watching. We took the midday whale watch cruise ( reasonably priced at about $30.00 ) and loved it so much that we went back for the Sunset Cruise ( $60.00 Included cocktails and appetizers.) Consider becoming a member and you receive a free whale watch ticket to use right then or later as a gift. Both trips had multiple sightings, many just yards from the boat. Very exciting! Spinner dolphin chased along side during the mid day cruise. I personally preferred the laid-back atmosphere of the evening trip. Hats off to the entertainment. A gorgeous sunset, mellow ukulele tunes and a little bit of humor (and two mai tais) made this the most memorable two hours of my visit to Maui.
Whale sightings are gauranteed or they will send you out again for free.

Visited April 2011
3 Thank KOTTON
Courtenay, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Dinner Cruise w/Pacific Whale Foundation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

My Partner and I went on this sunset dinner cruise last night and unfortunately, we were very disappointed!! It was our first dinner/sunset cruise and I feel as though if we had known a few details going into the $90/each trip, we wouldn't have been quite so shocked/disappointed. So here's some info for the couples/lovers out there:
1) We were shown to our seats, which were at a tiny little table of 4. This means you are sitting across the table from strangers the whole time! And I'm not talking about a wide table here..if you've got long legs, you are not going to be happy! Not very romantic;
2) I don't think they should call it a 'cruise'. We pulled out about a short 5 minute ride from the dock and sat there, idling, for the entire trip. The Captain will spin the boat so you all get to see the sunset side which was a small consolation;
3) The dinner was terrible - I'm not sure why or how we ended up getting excited for the meal, I should have known better! But they sold us on the fresh/local fish cooked right up on the boat, and the pictures in the brochures looked just as delicious. By far, our worst meal in months! The fish was so overdone it was almost in-edible, or it just might have been tuna straight from a can...boring veggies and minute rice on the side.

OK - it wasn't all bad! We really tried our best to make the most of it and have fun. So we ended up getting up from our table and standing the whole time we weren't trying to stomach the dinner - we had more room and it felt a little more romantic. Here's a few other positives:
1) The sunset was beautiful - just like anywhere in Maui, if you get to watch the sun set, its breathtaking;
2) The music was awesome. Just a single, local dude with a guitar and an amazing voice. We really enjoyed having live music.
3) The staff were all super nice, friendly and professional. They did a great job.

Next time, we'll be looking for a cocktail cruise - skip the nasty/overpriced meal - and we'll be searching out a boat that actually 'cruises' around and shows you some sights instead of sitting in idle for 2 hours.

Visited December 2011
5 Thank JimmyMax99
Laval, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“worst food i had in Maui "bar none"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2011

i am a chef , but i own a catering company and i have 30 years of experience in fast or fine cuisine , this was the worst food i ate in Maui , the pasta was over over over cooked , i am Italian and i don't expect pasta to be al dente all the time but this was not only over cooked it just tasted real bad to much garlic not cooked and to much spices i could not even tell what they were ,

definite no , i do not recommend this tour , way way over priced , and food no good

Visited September 2011
3 Thank GusttoGiusto

Been to Sunset Cocktail Cruise? Share your experiences!