“Highlight of our trip!”

Sunset Cocktail Cruise
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I wholeheartedly recommend the Pacific Whale Foundation for any type of ocean wildlife watching. We took the midday whale watch cruise ( reasonably priced at about $30.00 ) and loved it so much that we went back for the Sunset Cruise ( $60.00 Included cocktails and appetizers.) Consider becoming a member and you receive a free whale watch ticket to use right then or later as a gift. Both trips had multiple sightings, many just yards from the boat. Very exciting! Spinner dolphin chased along side during the mid day cruise. I personally preferred the laid-back atmosphere of the evening trip. Hats off to the entertainment. A gorgeous sunset, mellow ukulele tunes and a little bit of humor (and two mai tais) made this the most memorable two hours of my visit to Maui.
Whale sightings are gauranteed or they will send you out again for free.

3  Thank KOTTON

Reviewed December 25, 2011

My Partner and I went on this sunset dinner cruise last night and unfortunately, we were very disappointed!! It was our first dinner/sunset cruise and I feel as though if we had known a few details going into the $90/each trip, we wouldn't have been quite so shocked/disappointed. So here's some info for the couples/lovers out there:
1) We were shown to our seats, which were at a tiny little table of 4. This means you are sitting across the table from strangers the whole time! And I'm not talking about a wide table here..if you've got long legs, you are not going to be happy! Not very romantic;
2) I don't think they should call it a 'cruise'. We pulled out about a short 5 minute ride from the dock and sat there, idling, for the entire trip. The Captain will spin the boat so you all get to see the sunset side which was a small consolation;
3) The dinner was terrible - I'm not sure why or how we ended up getting excited for the meal, I should have known better! But they sold us on the fresh/local fish cooked right up on the boat, and the pictures in the brochures looked just as delicious. By far, our worst meal in months! The fish was so overdone it was almost in-edible, or it just might have been tuna straight from a can...boring veggies and minute rice on the side.

OK - it wasn't all bad! We really tried our best to make the most of it and have fun. So we ended up getting up from our table and standing the whole time we weren't trying to stomach the dinner - we had more room and it felt a little more romantic. Here's a few other positives:
1) The sunset was beautiful - just like anywhere in Maui, if you get to watch the sun set, its breathtaking;
2) The music was awesome. Just a single, local dude with a guitar and an amazing voice. We really enjoyed having live music.
3) The staff were all super nice, friendly and professional. They did a great job.

Next time, we'll be looking for a cocktail cruise - skip the nasty/overpriced meal - and we'll be searching out a boat that actually 'cruises' around and shows you some sights instead of sitting in idle for 2 hours.

5  Thank JimmyMax99
Reviewed September 23, 2011

i am a chef , but i own a catering company and i have 30 years of experience in fast or fine cuisine , this was the worst food i ate in Maui , the pasta was over over over cooked , i am Italian and i don't expect pasta to be al dente all the time but this was not only over cooked it just tasted real bad to much garlic not cooked and to much spices i could not even tell what they were ,

definite no , i do not recommend this tour , way way over priced , and food no good

3  Thank GusttoGiusto
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Two hour plus cruise out of Lahaina Harbor. We took the whole family. The crew were pleasant and friendly. They serve two drinks on the cruise which had good amounts of alcohol in them as opposed to some bars. In addition to the drinks, they is a large, plentiful amount of appetizers such as cheese, salami, crackers, vegetables, etc. Nice lively music also enhanced the overall ambiance of the cruise. Love watching the sunset from sea.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

My wife and I wanted to go on a Sunset Sailing trip while we were in Maui. We looked around, and found most people were using the catamaran trips. After reading more on those trips and watching them while we were on the beach we noticed all they did was motor around. To me that is not sailing. We met with Haley on the docks, who was very pleasant and informative. She sold us on trip, because they actually do sail around during the sunset. Amazing a Sunset Saling trip who actually sails!!!!!!!!! The crew was fantastic. It was a small group and we all had a great time. I'm pretty sure the girls did after a few bottles of champaine, but we won't mention that. Of course they might see something on You Tube, but I swear I have no idea how it got there.

Captain Gene and Leroy were a lot of fun. We even were lucky enough to have Gene's grandson with us. He was fantastic with taking care of all of the pictures for everyone.

If anybody is looking for a true Sunset Sailing Crusie ride aboard the Scotch Mist II. This will be one of the most memorable trips in Maui you won't forget. I know we won't!!!

1  Thank Tahoeone

Been to Sunset Cocktail Cruise? Share your experiences!