“Second time- horrible”

Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Morgan Hill, California
“Second time- horrible”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Well, I'm actually currently at this hotel and I have to say- I won't be coming back! As you can see I have rated this hotel before in April 2010, and my rating was great. They upgraded us to the tower free of charge when we checked in and we were extremely pleased with everything (minus the $10/ day parking). However as a repeat customer, I've been treated better by market vendors who I've been to again than this hotel. We arrived Tuesday at noon, check in time is 3pm so we had to wait(with our toddler), which was understandable. We went back in the lobby three times to check on the room and by 3pm it still wasn't ready, when we were escorted to our room, the maids were still cleaning it and informed us the tv wasn't working Bd they'd send someone. Still no one has been here to fix it. We had a mouse run into our room while on the balcony yesterday; I walked down to the lobby and told them and asked to be moved. Never sent anyone, never contacted us to move us. We also had an issue with our reservation, the front desk informed us it was reserved for 2014, not 2013 but my reservation was correct. They had me forward my Expedia confirmation email twice and wanted me to call them-ridiculous. They're problem, not mine! I also asked when we checked in if we could be upgraded to the tower again, as we were last time. Stephanie told me she couldn't find my 2010 reservation even after I pulled up my email confirmation and blew me off about it, that was probably most irritating thing. Thanks royal LAHAINA and ocean inn- I'm glad my loyalty means you can treat me horribly.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank caroline p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I were visiting family in Maui and wanted a few nights together alone and found this little gem. We booked through their website and called to make sure the reservation went through. They were very nice and patient with us on the phone.

We arrived to a wonderful greeting upon entering the grounds. A nice gentleman would always say "Welcome home" when we came in.

Check in was a breeze. We originally booked a standard room and they kindly gave us an ocean front room on the 3rd floor! Our room was clean, smelled fresh and the view was awesome! We opened our lanai door and could hear the waves of the lovely Kaanapali beach! It was paradise. Now the room is a little older, so if you are expecting the Ritz, you will be disappointed. We were allowed to use all of the amenities of the Royal Lahaina, so that was a major plus! I took advantage of the free yoga morning lesson and we even got a beautiful rainbow during our practice!

Our room was right next to the luau, which we were able to watch every night. The first night the female emcee was wonderful and really highlighted the Hawaiian culture. The other emcee for the last 2 nights, was more cheesy. Vegas style and just wanted to see the dancers shake.

For breakfast, we would go to the little coffee shop and would have a pastry and coffee. My husband did have a bit of trouble ordering a ham egg and cheese bagel. It took quite a while for him to receive it.

They also had a nice gift shop and a very helpful concierge.

The entire staff treated us like ohana and had so much aloha spirit! We would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: Round Table Pizza is in walking distance and has the most "ono" pizza I have ever had.. Tr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was my third stay at the Royal Lahania Resort property and this particular stay was my second at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn. The hotel itself is older - it's three floors, with no elevator. The decor is the same as when I stayed here 7 years ago! The room is a generous size with a good sized bathroom (shower stall only) and there was a fridge, bar sink and counter space which was good to keep refreshments in. The balcony was a good size and our room had a perfect view of the Luau. The view was good - but if you don't want to hear the luau festivities daily from dinner time to about 9pm, then ask for a room facing the opposite side. The walk out to the beach was merely 2 minutes long and the beach directly outfront of the hotel is definitely the best spot on the resort - low traffic and pristine sand & water. THIS is why you come to this hotel! The value is great because we saved about $600 on the week by staying in this hotel, but got to use all the amenities of the Royal Lahania Resort tower. Our friends stayed in the tower and yes, there room was nicer, but for the cost, we definitely were the winners. Only complaint would be the housekeeping service. It was very inconsistent day to day and of the 7 nights we were there, I have to say only one day was the room made up the way it should be. (ie, beds were not properly made, all the trash wasn't removed) That's not enough to never return, so if I'm (hopefully!) back in Maui, I will definitely stay here. Bottom line - the Royal Lahania property is the best in the area, but if you're willing to save $ on the room, stay at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the luau if you want to get a preview of the show, otherwise opt for a beach fa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank lucky_charm2300
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed for only one night, but are very sad that we didn't stay longer. Firstly, we got in really late and they upgraded us to an ocean front. What a view!!! Literally your lanai is right on the beach. We saw dolphins in the morning and it was really peaceful. It is worth the upgrade, for only a few dollars more for the ocean view. The room wasn't amazing, but who cares, it was clean and cheaper than any other hotel we were staying at. The staff was GREAT. So friendly and kind. Don't waste your money elsewhere!!!!! It is the best value with the BEST beach!!!!!! Also, great room service!

Room Tip: Ocean view!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed one night, July 4th, 2013. Ocean view room opens right onto a great beach.
Although this resort is not a five star it did offer many amenities. Great restaurant, pools, hot tubs, towels.
Get the ocean view room for the extra 20 bucks or so per night. You'll be glad you did. Your lanai will overlook an incredible sunset every night & you are literally steps to a beautiful beach. Can't be beat for the value & proximity to the beach. Free shuttle to local area. We are local & this is our secret getaway. It has been purchased by the Royal Lahaina, but this is a small 3 story building not a tower. Super cozy. Just don't expect the Four Seasons interior & you'll have a great stay!
The bed was very comfortable & other room noise was nonexistent. That's a big plus in our rating.
We will go back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mauitrash
Katoomba, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

On initial check in was mindful that this facility was inferior (as per trip advisor) in standard but was prepared to have an open mind. My first and last impression was of Keith ,the porter, who was the ruddiest and most belligerent I had encountered ever! Obviously not a happy personality.. the room allocated was NOT an ocean view as requested Very begrudgingly was moved 4 doors along corridor, but still not room type as stated in booking confirmation. It was indeed sadly dilapidated with well worn, stained furniture, fixtures and fittings-- very basic but clean. To add insult to injury, overnight, a leaking tap from the vanity flooded the bathroom area, wardrobe and saturated my luggage. The housekeeper, Esmerelda was a delight who sprung into action immediately. Out of all this scenario, there was some good when the Asst.guest services Manager-- Annette, relocated me to a cottage (#8141) for the remainder of my stay. Sadly I observed that namely the Hawaiian Nationals at the Royal Lahaina Resort presented as unfriendly, abrasive in manner and were lacking in personality or enthusiasm-- contrary to what would be expected at such a major resort. I did find Maui disappointing-- too commercial with robotic unhappy people in Hospitality.

Room Tip: To avoid disappointment pay the extra and stay at the Royal Lahaina. Most certainly room #8141 was r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this great hotel for the price. The best of all: I was able to hear the waves hitting the beach from my room, and going to sleep with that sound was just awesome! The hotel is actually a rather secluded small building like a 100 meters away from the Royal Lahaina Resort, where the main hotel, the front desk and the restaurant are.

It is, indeed, old fashioned, not nice carperts at all and when you get in the room the musty smell may shock you. But, if you open the windows and shut off the AC the smell is gone almost inmediately.

The beds and pillows were really comfortable, and the linen nice and very clean.

The location is just amazing, and for much less than the average charged in that part of Maui, you can have a very peaceful stay. The beach just a few steps away, a really neat swimming pool and a fantastic restaurant (buffett breakfast -although pricey- is just fantastic!) are also included in the price.

The people at the hotel were extremely nice and helpful, so I'm very much happy I stayed at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn rather than in -for instance- the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, which was way more crowded and for almost double the price could have got a smaller and darker room, with no sound of the waves ;)

Mahalo K. Ocean Inn!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach entrance and not the ones facing the LUAU ;)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Carolina G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
Maui Beach Hotel
Maui Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in Kahului
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!