“Great value, awesome views in a somewhat hidden gem.”

Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Maui, Hawaii
“Great value, awesome views in a somewhat hidden gem.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed one night, July 4th, 2013. Ocean view room opens right onto a great beach.
Although this resort is not a five star it did offer many amenities. Great restaurant, pools, hot tubs, towels.
Get the ocean view room for the extra 20 bucks or so per night. You'll be glad you did. Your lanai will overlook an incredible sunset every night & you are literally steps to a beautiful beach. Can't be beat for the value & proximity to the beach. Free shuttle to local area. We are local & this is our secret getaway. It has been purchased by the Royal Lahaina, but this is a small 3 story building not a tower. Super cozy. Just don't expect the Four Seasons interior & you'll have a great stay!
The bed was very comfortable & other room noise was nonexistent. That's a big plus in our rating.
We will go back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mauitrash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Katoomba, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

On initial check in was mindful that this facility was inferior (as per trip advisor) in standard but was prepared to have an open mind. My first and last impression was of Keith ,the porter, who was the ruddiest and most belligerent I had encountered ever! Obviously not a happy personality.. the room allocated was NOT an ocean view as requested Very begrudgingly was moved 4 doors along corridor, but still not room type as stated in booking confirmation. It was indeed sadly dilapidated with well worn, stained furniture, fixtures and fittings-- very basic but clean. To add insult to injury, overnight, a leaking tap from the vanity flooded the bathroom area, wardrobe and saturated my luggage. The housekeeper, Esmerelda was a delight who sprung into action immediately. Out of all this scenario, there was some good when the Asst.guest services Manager-- Annette, relocated me to a cottage (#8141) for the remainder of my stay. Sadly I observed that namely the Hawaiian Nationals at the Royal Lahaina Resort presented as unfriendly, abrasive in manner and were lacking in personality or enthusiasm-- contrary to what would be expected at such a major resort. I did find Maui disappointing-- too commercial with robotic unhappy people in Hospitality.

Room Tip: To avoid disappointment pay the extra and stay at the Royal Lahaina. Most certainly room #8141 was r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this great hotel for the price. The best of all: I was able to hear the waves hitting the beach from my room, and going to sleep with that sound was just awesome! The hotel is actually a rather secluded small building like a 100 meters away from the Royal Lahaina Resort, where the main hotel, the front desk and the restaurant are.

It is, indeed, old fashioned, not nice carperts at all and when you get in the room the musty smell may shock you. But, if you open the windows and shut off the AC the smell is gone almost inmediately.

The beds and pillows were really comfortable, and the linen nice and very clean.

The location is just amazing, and for much less than the average charged in that part of Maui, you can have a very peaceful stay. The beach just a few steps away, a really neat swimming pool and a fantastic restaurant (buffett breakfast -although pricey- is just fantastic!) are also included in the price.

The people at the hotel were extremely nice and helpful, so I'm very much happy I stayed at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn rather than in -for instance- the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, which was way more crowded and for almost double the price could have got a smaller and darker room, with no sound of the waves ;)

Mahalo K. Ocean Inn!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach entrance and not the ones facing the LUAU ;)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Carolina G
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was the best deal I found on Maui. The location is awesone...right on the Kaanapali Beach. This hotel is part of the Royal Lahaina resort and you have access to all amenities while paying 3 times less on your room. The rooms do look old and they are not sparkling clean but that's why you are paying less. Try to get an ocean front view room (not just ocean view since you will end up with a side view), on the 3rd floor. It is awesome to wake up with the ocean next to you. You can see the Luau show from the balcony if you are on the North or West side.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank AndreeaAC
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'll admit that the other reviews had us so scared we considered cancelling our reservation, but I'm so glad we didn't ... we loved our week long stay!

This is NOT an upscale hotel and if that's why you're coming to Maui I would suggest staying someplace else, but it has several things going for it: 1) location -- you're walking distance from excellent snorkeling at Black Rock and a short drive from downtown Lahaina, 2) use of all the Royal Lahaina amenities (incl. pool and room service), 3) friendly service regardless of which property you're staying at.

The property is a bit dated, but we found everything to be in working order and clean -- no sinking ceilings, moldy odors or anything. We kept fresh fruit in the room and noted a few small bugs, but that'll happen in Hawaii and they're completely harmless.

We lucked out and got a free upgrade to an amazing top-floor, oceanfront room with nice vaulted ceilings and a balcony looking out over the ocean from which we also had a pretty good view of the luau. We loved sleeping with the sliding glass door open and just the storm shutters in place. Of note: it looks like they are remodeling the entire first floor, although we didn't hear any construction noise.

Perfect for the budget traveler, but if you want luxury this is not for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Guinnie
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I've read the other reviews and agree with everything that everyone else says. Yes, it's old and yes, it's rundown and yes, it needs updating BUT, for the price, the location and the fact that you get to use everything that the Royal Lahaina has right next door, it's a bargain. The A/C works, the shower works, the toilet works, and the bed - although hard - still provided a good nights' sleep. We paid a bit more for an ocean view room, but the only time we could see it was if we stood on the balcony and peered far to our left. I would pay extra next time for an oceanFRONT room. And ask for the top floor (there are only 3 levels) as the building isn't very sound-proof.

You can use the computers in Guest Services for free. The ice cream parlour next door makes delicious milkshakes and smoothies. The "Castaway Cafe" in the complex to the north - just steps away - is a great little restaurant for lunches, with an ocean view and it's reasonably priced. There's a fantastic seawalk/boardwalk that goes for miles up the coast, past all the other properties - you'll see many people jogging/walking along it in the mornings.

Whaler's Village is a 15-20 minute walk away. There's great snorkelling at the black rock at the Sheraton, about 10-15 minutes' walk away. This Inn is set on a beautiful, uncrowded beach. We watched the whales blowing, slapping their tails and breaching, right from the beach. Join in on Happy Hour, and remember that you're on vacation - don't sweat the small stuff!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter (but if you're on the south side you can watch the luau from...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Linda L
SF Bay Area
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My biggest issue with this property is the regular metal key you use to get in your room. I inadvertently went to the wrong room and my key opened that room door!!!! I was shocked. I went and reported this to the front desk as a Safety and Security issue and they told me they would alert maintenance. You would then think that Maintenance would come to my door or to the door I opened. Nope, they did not - not when I was in the room. A couple hours later the front desk called and told me they were going to move me and make my room out of order. I moved, but I believe that the metal room keys at this hotel will open many of the room doors. Be careful if you stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if still have metal keys - safety and security should be a concern.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Arlene W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
Maui Beach Hotel
Maui Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in Kahului
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!