WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Kaanapali Ocean Inn

Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Vancouver, Canada
“Great place if you're on a budget”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I've read the other reviews and agree with everything that everyone else says. Yes, it's old and yes, it's rundown and yes, it needs updating BUT, for the price, the location and the fact that you get to use everything that the Royal Lahaina has right next door, it's a bargain. The A/C works, the shower works, the toilet works, and the bed - although hard - still provided a good nights' sleep. We paid a bit more for an ocean view room, but the only time we could see it was if we stood on the balcony and peered far to our left. I would pay extra next time for an oceanFRONT room. And ask for the top floor (there are only 3 levels) as the building isn't very sound-proof.

You can use the computers in Guest Services for free. The ice cream parlour next door makes delicious milkshakes and smoothies. The "Castaway Cafe" in the complex to the north - just steps away - is a great little restaurant for lunches, with an ocean view and it's reasonably priced. There's a fantastic seawalk/boardwalk that goes for miles up the coast, past all the other properties - you'll see many people jogging/walking along it in the mornings.

Whaler's Village is a 15-20 minute walk away. There's great snorkelling at the black rock at the Sheraton, about 10-15 minutes' walk away. This Inn is set on a beautiful, uncrowded beach. We watched the whales blowing, slapping their tails and breaching, right from the beach. Join in on Happy Hour, and remember that you're on vacation - don't sweat the small stuff!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are quieter (but if you're on the south side you can watch the luau from...
5 Thank Linda L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
SF Bay Area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

My biggest issue with this property is the regular metal key you use to get in your room. I inadvertently went to the wrong room and my key opened that room door!!!! I was shocked. I went and reported this to the front desk as a Safety and Security issue and they told me they would alert maintenance. You would then think that Maintenance would come to my door or to the door I opened. Nope, they did not - not when I was in the room. A couple hours later the front desk called and told me they were going to move me and make my room out of order. I moved, but I believe that the metal room keys at this hotel will open many of the room doors. Be careful if you stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if still have metal keys - safety and security should be a concern.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Arlene W

Travelers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

Salem, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 night. Nothing fancy but very near a great beach. We ended up with an ocean view. I would say it was worth what we paid. We spent most of the time taking in the Maui sites as we were spending 5 more nights at the Westin.

Room Tip: Ask for side that faces the condos and ocean.
1 Thank Joni M
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our second stay at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn. We were just as happy as the first time we stayed there. It is a dated and tired old hotel, but the maid service is excellent and the front desk will do a lot to make sure you are happy there. The beds are hard but the rooms are clean and have plenty of space. But having said that - who goes to Hawaii to spend time in their room except to sleep and shower and change from beach wear into your shorts and t-shirts. The hotel is located right off the beach and takes 3 minutes from your room to sun and sand and ocean. What could be better? And the beach in front of the hotel is rarely crowded, unlike the other big hotels along the beach. The Royal Lahaina provides beach towel service for the pool and beach. The food at the hotel is very good and the prices are reasonable. The pool is great to swim in if the ocean is too rough on any given day and you can usually get a deck chair without any difficulty. The staff is friendly and will help you out anyway they can. I would definitely recommend staying at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn. Value for your money is the best in that part of Maui.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank firsttrip_12
Hayward, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

The location of our room was just steps from the beach. We had somewhat of an ocean view from our balcony. Love the size of the room but the bed was as hard as if I was sleeping on the floor. The staff is very friendly and attentive especially Rosario and Dominic. I was disappointed though when I found the emergency water container in case of a hurricane empty!! Thank goodness there wasn't a storm when we were there. This place has potential if they were just take the time to clean it up. Attention to detail would go a long way.

Room Tip: Try to get the third floor if you want a chance at an ocean view.
1 Thank sidewallcindy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is my 3rd visit to Maui but it's the first time I've stayed at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn. The first 2 visits I was with family and we stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort. I found out after booking this hotel that we (my boyfriend and me) would have all the amenities of the Royal Lahaina Resort for about half the cost of staying in one of their rooms. The Ocean Inn is kind of their old version of the hotel. The thing that you have to think about when you're going on vacation that really determines your hotel needs is "How much time are you ACTUALLY going to spend in the hotel." Honestly, your answer should be "Not much." So if you want to spend $300/night to have the most modern contemporary room with a flat screen TV and free wifi then this hotel isn't for you (and you should probably review your definition of the word "vacation") The things we were looking for in a hotel were: great location, low price, convenience, pool access, beach access, no roaches, a bed, a shower, and a toilet; this hotel satisfied all of those basic requirements plus a little more. I will admit we've had some minor issues but because the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful they aren't worth mentioning. If you have a problem just talk NICELY to the people who are there to HELP you because you'll never be happy if you approach a problem with a bad attitude. Yes the rooms are a little outdated and could use some remodeling but you know what? They are pretty darn clean even if they look kinda dingy. I haven't seen a single roach since we've been here (compared to the 3 I saw in my Royal Lahaina Cottage) Also the showers are very small but big enough for one adult that is a healthy weight. So if you're the typical inactive American you should stay somewhere else unless you're planning on not bathing, which I don't recommend. Don't get me wrong, we were born and raised in the USA but seriously we're heading towards Wall-e/Idiocracy. About the luau; it does get old after a few days but we've found that it's kind of nice sitting on the balcony reading and having those sounds surround us while the sun sets. The only reason to let it be an issue is if you have small children, elderly, or yourself that need to be asleep before 9pm. If this is the case you should stay somewhere else or stop living by a schedule while you're on VACATION. I'm writing this review because I read all of the others and frankly I find the majority of them to be extremely shallow. We have been using our room to sleep, shower, and store our stuff and that's really all you need when you're planning on being out and about. If we visit Maui again I'd love to stay here. Give it a chance, save some money, and quit being snobs. Aloha!

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank MissMel0n
Stockton, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is terrible! You have to pay for parking ($15) a day, to use the safe ($3.75) a day, there is no ice machine on site - you have to go to the 3rd floor at an adjoining hotel, it is so outdated and dirty - you would not believe it. There is mold in the bathroom - painted over & the paint is peeling, a wire with a cap on it hung down in the bathroom next to the wall, the bedspreads & skirts were like from the 50's. Pay a little bit more & get something nice - you'll be glad you did. Gary Holden needs glasses! He's the president of the facility.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Katnumber1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Lahaina Inn
Maui Seaside Hotel
Maui Seaside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!