“Nice stay to nice price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Makai Inn

Makai Inn
Ranked #12 of 12 Lahaina B&B and Inns
Uppsala, Sweden
“Nice stay to nice price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 10 days, had two rooms one for me and my wife and another one for our daugthers. Positive things is the price, the location and that parking and wifi is complementary, negative thing is that the cleaning could have been better. Makai inn is running by a friendly and very helpfull couple and I don't understand the review from the previous guest. If I ever return to Lahaina I will most likely try to get a room here agin.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy_of_Sweden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sedona, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have travelled extensively for business and I have stayed in hundreds of motels, hotels and inns. This is the absolute I have ever seen. I have never seen such filth in one room. I arrived at 9:30 pm on a Saturday night. My first choice was booked up so I asked for suggestions and ended up at The Maikai Inn. The moment I arrived, the innkeeper (whom I have nicknamed "Suzie Saurus") came down the stairs and already had a bad attitude about me and was downright surly as she took my cash payment. Once in the room, I couldn't believe it. The floors looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. The bathroom had two dead cockroaches on the floor in plain view. The tub had lots of dirt and particles of who knows what in it. And ants everywhere crawling all over the place. I had to agree to read a 10 page book of rules that were beyond strict, they were downright severe. They want you to be quiet as a mouse all day. No phone and no TV in room. Refrigerator with big rust spots and leftover food inside. Smells funny and dust is piled up everywhere. Then to top it off, I was up late out by their seawall (away from all the other units) and I made the fatal mistake of smoking a cigarette and talking on a cell phone. The owner, Suzie, came out in her bathrobe with a flashlight and read me the riot act. I felt like a third grader getting their knuckles rapped by a nun in parochial school. Don't complain about the bugs or dirt, either. Suzie will tell you to take your business elsewhere as she has no need for pesky complainers. Hot water? Available only during certain times of the day so you better plan ahead or it's cold shower for you. Wow- the whole experience at this place was negative in every way from the moment I set foot on the property. The place is cheap for a reason. If you're looking for cheap lodging in Lahaina it's hard to do but after my experience there it reminded me that you always get what you pay for. You can do better than this. STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Michael K
Duro123, Guest Relations Manager at Makai Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, it really did help put everything into perspective. We do pride ourselves in being the most quiet place on the Island, no doubt, some people find it exactly what they're looking for and others find it to be a little harsh with regards to noise limitations. Because of the age as well as the design of the accommodations sounds from voices, TVs, music players laughs and such do easily permeate throughout the property and we try to limit that. The "point" as we call it is near the sea wall is only about 15 feet from two of our highest priced offerings and most desired oceanfront units, and you would be surprised how the sound travels especially at night after somebody has a few cigarettes and some cocktails. Phone calls turn into long discussions, potential giggling, always but not really knowing that they are yelling over the surf literally a few feet in-front of the seawall. The 10 page rulebook is actually a combination of rules (two pages only) and details that are printed larger (so it takes up more room) for easy reading of all ages, as well as a number of other bits of information people find important such as the codes and passwords to the free wireless Internet as well as the information regarding use of the free iMac computer on property, also included in this "rule book" are offerings of local musicians CD's available for purchase. Some people love the rule book so much they want to take a copy home with them, now thats funny. The hot water aspect is unique to some, most of our guests are not there 24/7 and actually do hit the road, enjoy all of the scenery, sights, sounds, foods and all kinds of beauty that our island of Maui offers. Because of this, we do limit the hot water during the slowest portions of the day and again in the early wee morning hours. If someone is for example going to view Haleakala for sunrise, they simply request the water be heated and we will turn it on the night before. It is an amazing amount of energy that is gobbled up on keeping water hot 24 hours a day 365 days a year we at The Makai Inn try to keep as best of a balance as possible with creature comforts and our excessive human energy use. In addition to (at one time the largest commercial) photovoltaic system on the island, we also reuse and mulch almost 90+ percent of our green waste property wide, that goes back into the soil to rejuvenate and produce a beautiful and special garden that almost everyone loves and adores. We are very sorry that your first choice was taken, and that you had to endure the unpleasantries of our offering. In the past, we have been a very good option for many local residents in addition to visitors that on short notice have had no roof over their head, because of being in between a long term place to live, evacuate their home because of repairs, termites, domestic disagreements, we even had a gentleman that was ordered to have a few "forced" days away from his wife because she threatened to kick him down the second-story stairs at their home down the street. Seems he was driving her mad! Crazy world indeed. "Suzie Saurus" is a bit rough to some, others love her direct to the point ways. Now, cleanliness of the room, I know she feels confident in a basic level of cleanliness. Some people definitely do want it sterile, others are a bit more relaxed. We feel that she meets in the middle. Again, please accept our apologies and be well, safe and spread some Aloha around the world!

Travelers are raving about these Lahaina hotels

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a really great place ( I can't think of more positive adjectives). We rented what was essentially a small one bedroom flat for a few days' stay on Lahaina. The service was very personal, but not invasive in any way. The proprietors are an older couple who provided us with a large carton of salt when we didn't find any in the apartment ( we would later find a small salt shaker!). There is a computer and printer available for use by guests, and that was where I printed our boarding passes for our return flight home. Overall, I'd rate this place excellent. There is about a half mile or so walk to get to the touristy part of town, but that was all right for us. Good place, great proprietors.

Room Tip: There are no activities sponsored by the inn, so I clicked the Kids' activities rating by mistak...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancyuen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Not too close to lahaina center but we would definately go back the place is so charming and the owners uncomplicated and friendly. Thanks a lot

Free wifi is offered and there is a shopping center 5 min walking distance. The small kitchenette was well equiped

2 Thank Romano_CH
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Well situated in Lahaina, 5 minute driving distance from downtown Lahaina. From outside, this hotel looks nice and welcoming. But once inside, it doesn't smell good, everything is old and dirty. Toilet brush full of hair, mold and mildew stains on ceiling,, bathroom counter with tiny ants, fridge with rust spots on outside, couch that looks 100 years old and never cleaned. It's a chance we brang our own sheets. Everything looked contaminated. The air conditioning isn't so efficient and very noisy and the shower has only cold water (and has yellow stains inside bathtub). The wifi works well and there's free parking. The place could be nice, but needs update, renovation and cleaning. And what's up with the 1 million pools full of red big fishes and hydroponic plants in the interior backyard?...

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank GenC1980
Richardson, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, in September, and stayed in one of the larger apts w/lanais upstairs with our friends in the matching one just below us. We didn't cook but the kitchen was well worn with not much to use to cook with and old drinks/leftovers from previous visitors. It really felt like a place that hasn’t been updated in 25 or 30 years. Normally I love a quirky place with a bit of character, but it just didn’t feel clean and the furniture and beds were not comfortable. EVERYTHING was well worn and just dirty. The bathroom facet looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in months just like the kitchen. I know this is trivial but the toilet paper was like using a fine grade of sand paper (I purchased my own). Like others have said, this is a quiet place, but I personally was offended with the pages and pages of rules and how we were not to take over the place so others couldn’t have their quiet space. I really felt that Suzie wanted the income but not the inconvenience of us at the property. We were there for a little R & R ourselves but this was beyond that. The price is really the only appeal. We went to Kihei and stayed in a 2 bed 2 bath condo for $120 per night and had a perfectly peaceful quiet time. I will never plan a return trip here. It's a just out of walking distance to the town of Lahaina (although we did walk it) so you will need to drive if you're planning to spend time in the town proper. A great place to eat and walking distance is the Aloha Mixed Plates which is a place for good, cheap food. We come here when we are in Lahaina (this was our 4th time).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancee411
Holualoa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

From the onset of trying to book a specific room at the Makai Inn the feeling was uncertain that we would be in the requested room. The woman (whom I believe to be the owner) said she was going to try to "move" someone to accommodate us in the requested room. Before our travel, I called to confirm the room. All was well with the world. Upon arrival on the Island, I called again to confirm the requested room, on route. She said she was just cleaning the room now and to head on over, it would be ready for us. All was well with the world still. All along we were using the specific room name and there was no question about which room we had reserved. When we arrived, the same person I had spoken to each and every conversation greeted us. She nervously, yet in a matter of fact manner, began to explain that she had been confused and that the requested room was never available for our dates and that she could offer us another room. She actually stated that she had told her husband that " it was going to hit the fan when we arrived". She seemed well versed in her excuses and we were left with a "take it or leave it" feeling and were offered the opportunity to think about it. After a very shook up conversation in the parking lot we made the very unnerving decision, in the late afternoon on a Friday night in Lahiana, Maui, to not be bamboozled and to find other lodging or sleep in our rented car. We informed the owner that we wouldn't be staying. We drove to the Best Western in the heart of Lahaina, which is a great place by the way, and although they had no vacancy...the receptionist went above the call of duty to help us find lodging for the night. We stayed the entire stay at the Lahaina Shores on the oceanfront. I would definitely stay there again and would also recommend the Best Western. The room we were offered at the Makai was a 1980's decor special, which we were aware of going in. It had ant powder sprinkled across the door threshold, a used Dixie cup in the bathroom cupboard and was subjectively “clean”, with very tired bedding. The location is "OK" with regard to vicinity. The main attractions are the ocean front location and a courtyard garden. It could be a great little place if it had a renovation, reliable service and new management.

Room Tip: It didn't make a difference that we chose a room. The owner gave us what she wanted, in the end...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CooksMalloy
Duro123, Guest Relations Manager at Makai Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are reviewing as many of our reviews past and present to resolve some questions, areas of concern as well as improvements.

The Winter and Spring season is our busiest time of year by far, sometimes things are a bit hectic and difficult to resolve, the reservation system for the most part works out great for the majority of the guests, it is "old school" for sure.

Please accept our apologies and hope to see you back on our beautiful island of Maui sometime in the near future. We enjoy the Pioneer inn and send all of our spill over guess there. It's a different experience. Much Aloha!

Cheers!