“Clean but needs some updates”

Kahana Villa Resort
Ranked #19 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Folsom California
“Clean but needs some updates”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed in this resort from June 23-20, 2012 after doing a timeshare exchange through Interval International. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical when we pulled into the parking lot after passing all the expensive resorts on the Kaanapali. This resort is in a little older part of town but we felt perfectly safe there. We were able to use the nice beach across the street at the sister resort which was easy to get to. The grounds were immaculate and the room was very clean. We stayed in a one bedroom unit in a partial ocean view room. We all know what that means. The unit was adequate size for two people with a very complete kitchen. The washer/dryer with detergent was a nice surprise. The villa kind of grew on us as we stayed there and it served as a quiet place to go at the end of a day of sightseeing. The unit defintely needs some updating as the carpeting is worn (but clean) and the ceiling is a cottage cheese ceiling. The bed was awful (springy and too-soft) and my husband's back ached for days. The sheets kept pulling off the bed at night. The pool area was clean although small and we did not swim there. The barbecues were handy for cooking dinner. There is a grocery store, the Times, a mile or two from the resort on the same road and you can find what you need there. Although the address is Lahaina, it really is north of Lahaina proper. The restaurant across the street, Kahana Sands, has a nice ocean view and when we were there dinners were half price from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Next to the restaurant is a place to rent snorkel equipment although we recommend Boss Frogs which is on the same street at the resort. With some updating, this could be a much better resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tomcarla
drenzi, Manager at Kahana Villa Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for visiting Kahana Villa, Tom and Carla. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our resort staffs take pride in maintaining our grounds and guest rooms. Thank you for noticing. Our one bedroom suite is 788 square feet and offers both a lanai and balcony and a full kitchen. We hope we can get you a full ocean view next time. It is breathtaking. Please extend our apologies to your husband. We replace mattresses on an as-needed basis and are happy to address any difficulties during your stay. Many visitors to our resort remark that we have a retro-chic appearance that is very appealing. Thank you for sharing your comments. We hope you will consider us again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Like the previous poster, we also booked this condo thru Groupon. I had a feeling due to the low, low price we paid, there would be no ocean view. I was correct, and that was a bummer, but really not that big of a deal. My main complaint was the horrible highway noise outside the bedroom window. Again, being a Groupon, we were probably placed in the least desirable location. The air conditioner was situated in the living room, which was not a big problem except due to the highway noise, it really wasn't fun to leave the bedroom windows open at night and it got a bit warm. The the condo was clean, (except I did catch an icky, unnamed bug running across the kitchen counter one morning). Other than that, no problems. The carpet was quite worn, and could probably stand to be cleaned. The decor was a bit dated, but that didn't really bother me as I've stayed in horribly tacky places before, I'm more about the experience of the overall trip than having a posh place to crash in for a few nights. And beings as Maui is so cool, who really cares where you're sleeping and eating a few hours every day?? The location was good, and although we didn't use the pool, we checked it out and there's BBQ's and the pool itself looked very clean and maintained. Huge plus, the kitchen and washer/dryer. You never know how handy those are until you stay in a place that has those amenities. Overall, not the most super nice place you'll ever stay, but for the price we paid, I can't even complain a tiny bit. My advice to anyone who may be put off by the age of this property or lack of ocean views, take a look around, you're in paradise! How bad could it be?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NVSteelergirl
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in these time shares for 1 week last month. We were traveling on a budget. We actually found this place through Groupons. I have never been to Maui before. It was amazing. The time share was very clean. I loved that it had full kitchen, washer and dryer, and basically everything a young couple would need. the hotel is right across the street from the ocean. But seriously who cares you're in Maui. A lot of people say the furniture was out dated. (It's probably true) We didn't go for the hotel room though! If you plan on staying in and laying the couches this wouldn't be the place for you. Across the street there was a restaurant and bar connected to the sister hotel. Which was nice. But pretty expensive, unless you go to happy hour. We did find a little corner store right around the corner which was nice for all the little things for the room. Also if you looking to have some regular priced drinks and bar food, there was a place super close. (it's more local people) I am writing this because I appreciate all the previous reviews everyone else's input.. We are a young couple that were looking for an adventure and we found it on Maui. The hotel was very quite, very friendly and I would stay there many times over.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view.. I did and we got it..
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Matthew R
drenzi, Manager at Kahana Villa Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for visiting Kahana Villa, Matthew. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. A trip to Maui is that much better when your accommodations exceed your expectations. Our spacious one- and two-bedroom suites do just that, with numerous amenities and wonderful views. It was our pleasure to extend to you and your girlfriend our famous Aloha spirit. We hope you will consider us again on your next to visit to Maui. We would be happy to welcome you back many times over.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We were very apprehensive about staying here after reading the previous reviews! We arrived on Dec 24th (till the 4th), a bit before check-in, the front desk staff was friendly, gave us an ocean view condo which was very clean. They even had just cleaned the carpets throughout the whole condo! The place was very spacious, and bright! We were very close to the beach, so it was easy to come back and forth if we needed to throughout the day. We had no issues at all really and would imagine most of the negative reviews come from people who have nothing better than to pick little things apart. The a/c was fine and we actually didn't use it much as the breeze went right through the place when we opened the windows. The only thing that would have been better would be if they had wifi, we walked to a nearby coffee shop to use theirs, otherwise it is very expensive to use the resorts internet. I would imagine the units further from the side we stayed (closer to the lower honoapiilani hwy, which is not a busy road at all), would have a lot of traffic noise from the main hwy, so I would choose not to have one of those units, but we lucked out and it was very quiet. We actually felt like we were the only people staying there as people were very quiet! Another great thing, the resort across the street which is affiliated with this one has skim boards and boogie boards that you can use instead of buying or renting. We would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank Kelsey U
Winnipeg,MB
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Maui is absolutely the "chill island," you go here to get away from it all and relax. It's very Aloha. My wife and I chose to Honeymoon on the west coast of Maui, and we don't regret it at all! We spent 3 weeks in the Kahana Villas.
The 1 bedroom villa is a fully stocked condo and larger than my apartment back home. There are stainless steel outdoor Barbecues and access to a pool and hot tub on the premises plus access to the 2 partnering hotels across the street (Kahana Beach Resort and Kahana Sands). Both of these are directly on the beach. The premises is maintained and manicured and the rooms are up-kept twice a week.
The on site orientation and daily activities are a fun little events. Bill was funny and very personable in providing a comfortable and positive atmosphere for the patrons, especially when he treats us to playing some ukulele music :)
The only problem I had, was that my card-keys kept ceasing to function. Every time I would go down to the Kahana Villa lobby, the reception desk was closed and I had to wander over to Kahana Sands to get my cards re-programmed. The problem was, the clerks never realized that I was staying for 3 weeks, so they kept entering short term expiry dates. This was frustrating.
The location is great though, close to Lahaina and close to great snorkelling and surfing (which I both recommend one must do while in Maui).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank culturecurious
Wells, Nevada
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We arrived very late at night and since the front desk/office was closed - they had a number listed by the phone by the door. We called the number and they directed us to the locked boxes next to the phone. We were given a code and the box opened and our key was inside. We went to the room and were so pleased at the size of the room...a decent sized bedroom with queen bed, dresser and 2 night stands; a nice, clean, large bathroom; a kitchen with dishwasher, washer/dryer, oven, microwave; and diningroom/living room. Large flatscreen TV and wi fi hook-ups. The sliding glass doors led out onto a patio with a very private grassy "yard" that we could see the ocean from (the ocean was across the street and behind the sister resort - Kahana Sands). We never once heard our neighbors through the walls or upstairs, though our bedroom was an end room where we could hear the highway traffic. Any other room away from the end wouldn't be able to hear the cars I don't think. The condo was immaculate...new dishes (service for 8); wine glasses/water glasses/juice glasses -everything you could want in the kitchen. There was a wonderful orientation the first morning with a continental breakfast. The concierge (located at the Kahana resort across the street) was very helpful throughout our stay. Very well done...memorable.

Room Tip: End suite was too close to highway - two rooms over would have been quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Denise P
dloera, Manager at Kahana Villa Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Thank you for visiting Kahana Villa. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. As you noted in your review, our rooms are quite spacious and comfortable. The one-bedroom you enjoyed is 788-square feet, comes with a full kitchen and sleeps four. Our deluxe two-bedroom is 1,331-square feet, sleeps six and also has a full kitchen. We’re glad you liked the well-stocked cabinets and the ocean view from your secluded yard. Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of your suite. Our housekeeping staff attends to our rooms as if they were their very own. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will stay with us again soon. Aloha!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I have a bad back but never realized I would have so much trouble at Kahana Villas. The mattress was ancient and miserable. The sofa and chair was so cushy that even my husband (who is healthy) was uncomfortable. We had to bring in patio chairs to the livingroom. The shower must be turned on by grabbing the bottom of the spigot (very strange) and I could not bend over to turn on the shower. Not the place to stay if you have a bad back.

The cleaning personnel were very loud and woke us the ONE morning we didn't have a tour schedule and could sleep in.

When we registered and checked out, the desk person never said welcome, have a nice trip, etc. Very cold and unwelcoming.

The picture in the brochure is very deceiving. This property is made to look like it is on the beach. The beach is across the street and another property.

I would look for a more updated and comfortable property.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Dawn C

Travelers are raving about these Lahaina hotels