“Reliable food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roy's - Kaanapali

Roy's - Kaanapali
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's - Kaanapali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 262 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Polynesian, Hawaiian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Welcome to Roy's Kaanapali! Since opening the original "Roy's" in Hawaii Kai in 1988, I have set out to explore "new directions," blending classic European cooking techniques with unique influences of Asia and the Pacific, guided only be the freshest local ingredients and my own sense of freedom. Every night our menu features a selection of "Roy's Classics," which are menu items that have been favorites since the beginning. These are noted with the "Y" symbol. In addition to these Classic dishes, Executive Chef Ryan Ferguson along with Sous Chefs John Balisco, Marc Urquidi, & Jessie Anacleto offer a unique selection of seasonal items & nightly specials. Cooking has been my life... Thank you for making it part of yours. Roy Yamaguchi, Chef/Founder
Toronto, Canada
“Reliable food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We love Roy's in Florida so we really wanted to try the Maui location since it is still owned by Roy himself. As we expected, the standard of food was excellent - everything was fresh and prepared beautifully as well as presented with care. The waitstaff were great - we went on the evening the hurricane islelle was expected and everyone was in good spirits and making due while understaffed. The only downsides at this Roy's are the location and vegetarian menu. The restaurant is located at the golf course and feels less fancy and more like a golf club restaurant (which it is). It also doesn't have an ocean view, which most restaurants in the area do. Also, the vegetarian menu at other Roy's we have been to is more fulsome and offers more variety than this location. Having said that, i did enjoy a delicious vegetarian meal. All in all this was a standard Roy's experience, which means good food and good service!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank CodyNDansTrips

• Korean first
Dallas, Texas
“Say hi to Sean!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

If you don't try the ribs, you're missing out. The appetizer ribs are phenomenal, and if you're feeling especially carnivorous, get the short ribs too. Everything we had for dinner on the two occasions we went there was delicious, and Sean, the bartender, was a wonderful, welcoming host. And the pineapple upside down cake is worth the wait, as well as the chocolate soufflé. We'll definitely be back.

Visited July 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Honestly we still rave about the service we experienced here. And Americans know how to cook! The food was a taste sensation, really creative, Master Chef quality cuisine. We have told all our friends to visit this restaurant and you can walk from all the Hotels to get to it, it's on the golf course in Kaanapali. It has a welcoming club feel to it. The staff were simply wonderful and typically American friendly, could not do enough to ensure you went home happy! Gee I'm gushing, but really was 'The Best Service Ever'
Be sure to try it if you are near by, must book!

• Visited July 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Not worth my money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The good: Service was good, the atmosphere is pretty cool and it is close to the hotels. They had some good things, decent drinks and we ate some good fish.

The bad: Felt like they are coasting on reputation. My wife encouraged us to go to Roy's as she has been to several of his restaurants on the mainland and has always enjoyed her dinner and experience.

Not sure if we caught them on a bad night so almost hesitant to be too critical but my experience actually made me angry. I do not mind paying top dollar and often do so especially when on vacation however this place left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Mostly they fell down on the simple stuff. Salads were drenched in dressing and I am guessing they use standard mesclun mix from sysco or whatever. Either way just not very good. I was expecting some nice greens from the island. Probably not feasible in a high volume place? Caesar salad was very mediocre as well.

The appetizers were poor to average as well. Potstickers seemed like a frozen product, lumpia was very average and served sorta burnt.

I would give them another chance however if I am going to spend that money would rather go to a place like Mala Ocean Tavern, Hono or Japengo at the Hyatt to name a few.

One last thing: they serve a "chocolate soufflé". It was OK but appeared to be a chocolate molten cake instead of an actual soufflé. Not a big deal but added to the overall impression that I was getting "worked".

My dinner was on June 18th 2014.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank PDXTravelers6
LINY
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

Fresh fish and great apps. A tough menu to make a selection from as it is all good. Views of golf course. Service was outstanding.

• Visited July 2014