“Best meal we had in Maui”
Review of Roy's - Kaanapali

Roy's - Kaanapali
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's - Kaanapali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Roy's Kaanapali! Since opening the original "Roy's" in Hawaii Kai in 1988, I have set out to explore "new directions," blending classic European cooking techniques with unique influences of Asia and the Pacific, guided only be the freshest local ingredients and my own sense of freedom. Every night our menu features a selection of "Roy's Classics," which are menu items that have been favorites since the beginning. These are noted with the "Y" symbol. In addition to these Classic dishes, Executive Chef Ryan Ferguson along with Sous Chefs John Balisco, Marc Urquidi, & Jessie Anacleto offer a unique selection of seasonal items & nightly specials. Cooking has been my life... Thank you for making it part of yours. Roy Yamaguchi, Chef/Founder
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We enjoyed an excellent dining experience at Roy's. I had the Mahi Mahi which did lack a bit in flavor but my husband loved the Ahi Tuna. The service was exceptional. Trust me, just order the chocolate soufflé. Never have I ordered dessert before finishing my meal as I don't know if I will have room for it after. This one takes about 20 minutes to prepare so they recommend you order it at the same time as your entrée. It was to die for! Piping hot and yummy with vanilla ice cream to cool your lips. I was told the next day that if you ask you can get it with peanut butter inside instead of chocolate. Wish I would have known that. I would have ordered both!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,334)

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Excellent food! The service was just as good. Dennis, our server, was friendly, helpful and very attentive. We really enjoyed the view of the 18th fairway and green. We went at lunch to keep the cost more reasonable. My favorite was the meatloaf loco moco.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Love to eat a Roy's and now that it is on the Kannapali property near golf course, it is so convenient. Presentation of food is beautiful, and the fresh fish and she'll food is out of this world!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

It seems that anyone I know who’s ever been to Maui insists that I must eat at Roy’s. I’d eaten at the Roy’s in Dallas once and was not impressed enough to return but was told by friends in both Los Angeles and Dallas that the food at the mainland locations were not as good as the restaurant in Maui.

So, I decided to play it safe and try Roy’s for lunch. It’s in a relatively new location with large picture windows overlooking the Kaanapali golf course, not what I’d call a particularly interesting view.

We went fairly early on a weekday - Wednesday- and tables were mostly vacant. I'm thinking if you want to avoid the crowds and save a little money, an early lunch might be a good bet. And, if you're still operating on a 5 hour time difference, 11:30am isn't all that early.

We ordered a Caesar salad (large enough for 2 to share), an appetizer of their hoisin glazed ribs (which my dining companion asked to be delivered as his main course), an appetizer of truffle fries (large enough portion for 2+ people to share). The fries were actually very good- lightly coated potato wedges with a delicate rosemary flavor. A side of ketchup was in the basket but I think it would be sacrilegious to use it.

Although, upon request, one could order off the dinner menu, I stayed with the lunch menu where no entrée was over $24.00. None of the lunch offerings seemed too terribly interesting so I opted for their shrimp pad thai. The server warned me it was spicy but the kitchen honored my request to make it mild.

I will say the portions were surprisingly more than sufficient. My dining companion, who lives part time in Maui and frequently dines at Roy's, raves about these ribs. There were 4-5 good sized tender, fall off the bone beef short ribs bathed in a sweet hoisin glaze. A very generous portion of pad thai was piled on my plate and topped with 5 very large and tender shrimp. The sauce was a little sweeter than I prefer but the portion was larger than I could finish and I was able to take leftovers.

At the time I placed my entrée order my companion asked if the kitchen could make us their signature chocolate soufflés for dessert as they were not listed on the lunch menu. (Souffles need to be ordered in advance.) Our request was granted. Small ramekins arrived oozing very rich, very dark chocolate served with a side scoop of slightly sour vanilla ice cream. The coffee I ordered was served in a full cup along with a tea pot containing additional coffee. This was nice since it meant I didn’t have to hunt down our mostly absent server to get a refill.

Lunch was reasonably priced – for Roy’s. $89.00. No alcohol and a 15% tip due to mediocre service. On the latter note, due to the relative inattention paid to our table, I’m guessing our waitress was only there to collect her hourly paycheck. Somehow I expected the staff at this caliber restaurant would have been taught the meaning of service.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Instead of writing a review of our experience, I will borrow a lot of what another review wrote about Roy's.

We have always enjoyed visiting Roy's when we visit Hawaii, (Kauai, Maui and even Austin, TX) because it brings back so many fond memories of excellent food in an enjoyable atmosphere. Unfortunately, we will not be visiting Roy's in Kaanapali for the same reason another reviewer wrote below. Our experience is identical. I had to sit next to my wife for dinner and at one point had to practically yell to hear one another. Roy seems to have large parties and they seem to want to share their stories to the rest of the restaurant - usually after a few too many drinks.

What a shame that fine quality food, albeit arguably over-priced, cannot be enjoyed in an ambiance of good conversation and service. Instead Roy's now offers the same excellent food, in a room with noise levels approaching a school cafeteria. Servers are exuberant and almost over-attentive and the levels of noise from diners and servers approaches non-conversational levels. The new setting is convenient but obviously no effort has been made to improve sound control. Roy's cannot control loud patrons who seem to want their opinions heard beyond their tables but servers are forced to shout to engage ordering and the roving managers solicit and add long and necessarily loud conversations in an attempt to be friendly and attentive. Instead of a murmur of good conversation the noise accelerates to a jet engine unpleasantness. When you are paying top prices, you want well-served gourmet quality food in an atmosphere of good conversation. The food is original, delicious and beautifully presented - what an insult to the cooks!

2  Thank tqdesign