“Very Fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maui Surfer Girls

Maui Surfer Girls
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Maui Surfer Girls offers the best surf lessons and surf camps on Maui. Our surf school caters to small groups, families and newlyweds, with small class sizes and professional instructors (most of whom are female!) We started in 2001 with our summer surf camps for teenage girls, with a mission to build self-confidence through the sport of surfing. We quickly branched out to offer year-round surf lesson to men and women, and kids starting at age 5! Our teen camps have grown to be extremely popular, and in 2017 we are excited to be offering our women's camps year-round. Please check out website for upcoming camp dates. We look forward to sharing the spirit of aloha with you on Maui’s warm waves.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Los Angeles, California
“Very Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you are looking for a great group of people to learn how to surf from in Maui, this is the group. They know what they are doing and have great knowledge and experience. I went alone and took a private lesson from Kelly and she made me feel comfortable and eager to learn more. Kelly was personable and very encouraging. All the instructors that were there had a good time with each other and those that they were teaching. Definitely a fun group.

Chicago, IL
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“There the best for a reason!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Dustin and Sharky made our surf lessons in Lahaina a wonderful experience. As my second time surfing in the Hawaiian islands I had some experience but definitely still on the beginner level. Both instructors gave excellent tips, were very accommodating when we got tired pulling our boards with their toes! Yes, you have other options of surf lessons on Maui but you SHOULDN'T choose any other company if you want a personalized, fun experience. Loved the bumper stickers and playing around with Dustin's dog Luna too.

Sun Valley, Idaho
“Beautiful rides!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My daughters, husband and I had a wonderful time "hanging" with Kelly and Sharky. It was a beautiful sunny day and the water was calm and warm. I love this surf school. My older daughter attended surf camp here 2 summers ago and now my younger one wants to go!! They not only seem to love their jobs and the people they teach, but also have a love and respect for the environment and teach about how to best preserve it while enjoying surfing.

Vienna, Austria
“Great Fun!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had our surfing lesson with Sharky on February 14, 2013. It was absolutly great and the instructions were very good and helped! Thanks to Maui Surfer Girls and to Sharky for an inspiring morning and it will not be the last time surfing! We can fully recommend the surf lessons and hope to come to Maui once again and doing it once more there!

Visited February 2013
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“6 stars - Absolute best option for avoiding a crowded surfing experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Quick synopsis: Go with Maui Surfer Girls if you want a personalized surfing experience away from the crowds with extremely knowledgeable, patient, and accommodating instructors.

Do you like cattle calls? I don't. My sister and I decided we wanted to take a first-time surf lesson while in Maui, but I found it hard to choose one because every program seemed to have rave reviews overall on TripAdvisor. What finally helped me decide was reading a couple of less than stellar reviews of other surf schools that mentioned how crowded the stretch of ocean in Lahaina was where most of them operate and how there are "lanes" designated for each surf school and that private lesson people get preferential treatment and on a busy day, you might be stuck waiting (i.e. "chilling") in the water for your next turn instead of catching waves for most of your lesson.

I am so happy I chose Maui Surfer girls. They operate primarily out of a location near Puamana Beach Park, but have a second location as a back-up and will contact you the morning of your lesson if the conditions are more favorable at the second location. We ended up at the Puamana Beach Park location and it was wonderful. There was perhaps one other surf school in the water and they were quite far away from us so there was no chance of running into them. I have never surfed, but I am a very experienced downhill skier who once was hit by another skier skiing a moguls run he had no business being on who lost control higher up the mountain than I and tumbled down the run, colliding with me. I wanted to learn how to surf and concentrate on getting up on a board, instead of worrying about running over others on my board or being hit after my run was over. Even though the surfer has the "right of wave" I don't want to be out in the water with hoards of beginners like myself who are all not in control of what they are doing.

Our instructor was Sharky and he was fabulous. My sister and I had signed up for a group lesson, but we were the only people in the group and so we had our own private lesson. Sharky was very good at explaining safety and techniques and through his instruction both my sister and I got up on our first try and we had several great runs during our lesson. Dustin, the owner of MSG, was even out on the morning of our lesson and we got to see her surfing with her dog Luna. As a dog person, I thought it was so neat. I had read reviews about other surf schools making their students haul (heavy!) beginner surf boards across the street to the beach. Not here! Sharky had our boards waiting for us on the beach and even helped us haul baby gear down to the beach from the parking lot (my husband had our toddler with him to watch our lesson and take pictures). I wanted to take a second lesson in Maui and will definitely go back next time.