“Great experience”
Review of Maui Surfer Girls

Maui Surfer Girls
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Maui Surfer Girls offers the best surf lessons and surf camps on Maui. Our surf school caters to small groups, families and newlyweds, with small class sizes and professional instructors (most of whom are female!) We started in 2001 with our summer surf camps for teenage girls, with a mission to build self-confidence through the sport of surfing. We quickly branched out to offer year-round surf lesson to men and women, and kids starting at age 5! Our teen camps have grown to be extremely popular, and in 2017 we are excited to be offering our women's camps year-round. Please check out website for upcoming camp dates. We look forward to sharing the spirit of aloha with you on Maui’s warm waves.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
West Hollywood, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Just came back from an amazing experience with Maui Surfer Girls. Dustin taught me and my husband to surf! She is super cool and took the time to teach us everything we needed to know to even catch a wave on our own before the lesson was over. We met up at a secluded beach area with perfect waves. There were only 4 people in the group which ensured enough time and attention for all of us.

If you are shopping around for a great surfing lesson go with Maui Surfer Girls :)

Boston, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Great surf lesson”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently took a 2 hour private surf lesson with Maui Surfer Girls. I booked my lesson before my arrival on Maui, over the internet which was an easy process.
I had originally added the photo package to my lesson, but I received a message from Dustin the day before my lesson saying the photographer had something come up and couldn't make it. I was given the opportunity to get a refund of the photo package or reschedule to a date when the photographer could make it. I chose to keep my lesson and simply have her refund the cost of the photos. This was done promptly which I appreciated.

My lesson was with Dustin. She was a great teacher. I met her at the beach parking area as instructed. Her dog Luna comes too.
Soft top surf board, rash guard and reef walker shoes are provided for the lesson. Dustin also carries body glide which she recommends you apply to the back of your legs to avoid rubbing when you sit on the surf board and kick your legs to turn it. This is a good tip and something other surf schools I've used don't provide.

After a short on shore session (paddling technique, your position on the board, popping up, how to position the board in relation to the waves is covered), it is into the water to paddle out and start catching waves. I had surfed a few times before so we paddled right out and she started placing me onto waves. She will tell you which waves you're going to try for and when to start paddling and will assist your paddling efforts with a push onto the wave. Once you've mastered catching waves this way you can try catching waves on your own as well. We also got into trying to turn the board a bit during my lesson.

The surf break they use was great for learning as there were not many people there. A couple other surf schools were there with other private lessons. It was not a surf break that attracts lots of unsupervised beginners, as it's not near a rental shop and not really near town. Great location.

I will plan to use MSG again the next time I'm on Maui. Whenever I travel to Hawaii, surfing is always the highlight of my trip and this time was no exception. This was the best activity I did while in Maui. I would recommend anyone who has interest in giving surfing a try while on Maui consider MSG.

Hillsboro, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A MUST DO!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've been to Hawaii a few times, and always leave saying " I need to try surfing!" this trip I made it happen. After researching a few companies, I found Maui Surfer Girls and am so glad we booked a lesson with them. My husband, 13 yr.old nephew and I all had a 2 hour lesson with Dustin and it was the best experience! We met Dustin, Jedi and Luna the surfer dog right off the highway about 8 miles south of Lahaina and after about 30 minutes of a land lesson, we were paddling out, ready to get our surf on. The small class size allowed us to receive individual attention and we were all able to stand up and catch our perfect wave. Highly recommend for all ages! Thanks Maui Surfer Girls for a experience we will never forget!

Visited October 2012
Toronto, Ontario
“AMAZING EXPERIENCE!”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I booked a surfing lesson with Maui Surfer Girls when I arrived in Maui and I'm so glad I took the plunge (literally!). Dustin was accommodating while we tried to find a time that worked and she was an amazing instructor. After a lesson on the sand, she took me out and paddled with me every step of the way. It was great to learn from someone that has been surfing her entire life.
As someone else noted, Maui Surfer Girls isn't just for kids - I'm in my 30's and can't wait to give Dustin a call next time I'm in Maui.

Best surfing school in Maui!!

dallas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“surf lesson”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

the waves were not cooperating that day so they let us stay longer to catch a few more. love luna the surf dog.