“Great sunset and food !”

Mala - Ocean Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Mala - Ocean Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 278 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kapunakea
Description: In 2004 Mark and Judy opened Mala Ocean Tavern, along with their daughters, Ariana and Michelle, a small oceanside tavern serving Mediterranean and Pacific Rim, with some Latino flavored dishes. With their partner Shep Gordon, Mala Wailea was created for the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort, which opened in 2008 and sold in 2016.
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic dinner here. Our table was right in the water and we saw a few turtles. The kids menu is more than sufficient and has a really nice little pizza that our son enjoyed. I had the tuna bruschetta app as my meal and it was awesome. My husband had the whole fish which was huge and quite an experience. You need a reservation here! They had no empty tables for most of the night. The same folks own the pizza place next door (Honu fish and seafood), but we could not get a reservation there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This small place with funky looking decor is a bit north of central Lahaina near a boat dock. There is plenty of free parking up and down the street. I would suggest reservations although we were very lucky to get one of the last tables before it was completely full on a Wednesday evening. The front area tales have the best view, overlooking the water but we could see some ocean from our side table.

The first thing to arrive at your table is a large bowl of what you would guess to be guacamole with chips – but it is actually mashed edamame with spices – what a great flavor surprise! The whole menu is filled with unique flavors. I honestly would have liked to try a bite (or maybe two) of everything on the menu. I felt we were the judges on the Iron Chef TV show and each food proved it was something special.

Since we had missed lunch we immediately ordered the crispy calamari appetiser and a couple of Mai Tais – the service fast and efficient, the drinks delicious and the calamari had a unique but very tasty flavor.

I decided I wanted to have the Brussels sprouts side dish (and yes it was worth it). Based on the price I assumed (correctly) that it was a generous portion. I started with the Beet and Goat Cheese Salad (first on the list I figured should be the most popular as they all looked good) – off to a perfect start. Then I had the Ahi Burger from the “Tavern” menu section assuming it would be smaller and I could eat a lot of my Brussels sprouts. The burger was great – very good spices and a nice complementary sauce. I still brought half of the burger and half the sprouts back to eat the next day.

My husband had the soup of the day which was a creamy something or other with bacon bits – all I remember is how he oohed and aahed over it. He then had to try the “Adult Mac and Cheese” since it sounded so unique: Mushroom Cream, Mozzarella, Pecorino and Maytag Bleu. The flavors were amazing! The mushrooms really added to it.

The desserts looked very good at nearby tables, but sadly we had eaten more than our limit. This is one place we will definitely put on our list for our next visit to Maui!

1  Thank TravelLover2345
Reviewed June 20, 2013

but I wish we hadve ate there too. drinks were great, and the atmosphere was probably one fo the top 3 spots ive been in during my life. during the mid afternoon waiting on our luaui to start next door we were wasting time and the shady deck on the rocks of the coast had sea turtles and boats out for veiwing pleasure and staff were very nice.

1  Thank jason w
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Amazing food, fresh fish, great cocktails, and incredible view...
Nothing more we could ask for.
Ahi tuna entree was devine!
Be back again!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a friend for both the food and the view and frankly, we were really disappointed in both. The view was nothing spectacular and the food was over priced and mediocre. My husband had the ahi tuna (their specialty) and said it wasn't as good as what he could get here in California. I had a stir fry dish that was drowned in way too much sauce and our son had fried fish that tasted like fish sticks straight out of Safeway's freezer section. After the sun set, roaches fell out of the trees (we were eating on the deck) and were scurrying all over the table, which did not improve our mood. We drove a long way to get there and were sorry we did - wasted our whole evening. Our advice would be to avoid this restaurant.

1  Thank Laura N