“manager just doesn't care”
Review of Royal Lahaina Luau

and up
Maui Atlantis Submarine Adventure and Royal Lahaina Luau
Ranked #7 of 18 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Myths of Maui Luau The last rays of a spectacular sunset, beating drums and the call of the conch shell signal the start of Maui's most exciting and longest running Polynesian luau. You will enjoy a breathtaking celebration of traditional Hawaiian, Tahitian, Samoan and Maori dance and music as performers weave the legends of the South Pacific into a spellbinding performance you are sure to treasure for years to come.
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“manager just doesn't care”
Reviewed April 21, 2007

If you require handicapped parking or services this isn't the luau for you. It is overcrowded, there is very limited handicapped parking, and the communication with the manager is awful. When I asked for the presidents name and number or address to address the issues, the manager flatly refused to give me the information. He couldn't understand that he was not at all helpful after making handicapped people wait over an hour in line, without any assistance for them standing. Try the Old Lahaina Luau, much better service and preformances.

1 Thank MichiganHawaiibound

• Korean first
Olympia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“Ok - If you do make this Luau your choice-you should buy premier seating”
Reviewed April 20, 2007

I have never been to a Luau before so I have nothing to base this review on, other than what I felt and saw while I was there. Before choosing the luau I looked at this site and decided between this and the Old Lahaina Luau. I am on a budget and chose this one due to the price and fire dancer, which I thought my 8 year old daughter would enjoy. Based on a tripadvisors suggestion I paid the extra 15.00 per person for PREMIER SEATING. I think this was the only money really well spent the whole evening. For 15.00 a person we were able to arrive 1 1/2 hours early and were ushered into an air conditioned "bar" (although my daughter and other children were in the same place). We were served very good, and strong, mixed drinks. It was an open bar for 1 1/2 hours, so if you could definately drink your 15.00 up easily.

As we were sipping our drinks I noticed the LONG outside line of "normal people" curving around the parking lot. People looked hot and tired and I wanted to sneak them into the premier line and have them pay 15 to get the service we were getting.

We did not get fresh flower lei's, instead we got shell lei's which I saw at HIlo Hatties for 29 cents. They did have fresh flower lei's available, but, yup, you guessed it - they ranged from 10-20 dollars a piece.

There was also a photographer to take photos as you came in and he did a good job but for 20.00 a picture, I WOUL D hope so.

After a while our host came and got us and escorted us to our tables front and center of the stage. The chairs were hard plastic and the tables nothing more than long plastic folding tables. They must have crammed 375 people into the area. I didnt mind because we had the best seats but I couldnt believe how many people they herded into the area. I saw them serving drinks in clear plastic cups and I was told that I could have those or pay 12.00 for a refillable pineapple cup in which I could have the smoothie type drinks chi chi's - lava flow,etc) that I had been drinking in the premier room. I didnt mind at that time because I had enough to drink :).

It took about 40 minutes to get everyone in and seated. THen it was off to the buffet...we, of course, got to go first. The food was ok. It reminded me of a Chuck Wagon Buffet. Not real good, not real bad...just in the middle, definately forgettable food. The only thing I really liked was the pulled pork. THe rest was not very good and I didnt see anyone go back ffor seconds. My daughter did love the kids buffet of chicken nuggets, and macaroni and cheese.

The desserts were disgusting. Dried out chocolate and cocount cake and cocunut pudding with no flavor.

The entertainment was ok. I thought the dancers did a great job of dancing but I was somewhat shocked to see two young girls (9 or 10) come out and do a very sultry dance. I was actually embarrassed and felt it was inappropriate.

The dancers were beautiful and in excellent shape (contrary to what an earlier post said) this night. They all seemed talented. The Hawaiian love song was very beautiful and nicely done.

The fire dancers were great but it was a very short segment of the luau.

After the luau was over we were allowed to take pictures with the dancers, which my daughter really enjoyed. Some seemed happy to pose and others didnt.

All told, I would recommend another Luau. Again, this is the first luau I have been to but I have a feeling there are better ones out there.

If you do choose this one, at least do yourself a favor and pay 15.00 not to have to wait in lines, have great seats, and have an open bar of GOOD drinks for an hour and half.

ALOHA!

2 Thank olystacy
Oklahoma City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Do not attend this luau”
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We were in West Maui from 3/17 thru 3/24/07,staying at The Westin Resort and Spa. There were 4 adults and my 18 year old twin niece and nephew. I insisted we must attend the Royal Lahina Luau at The Lahina Shores Resort, after reading what they had to offer from their web site. I so bad, wish now we would have attended the Old Lahina Luau down on Front street instead. The only other Luau I have attended was back in 1968 at the Royal Hawaiian Resort in Oahu and Don Ho was there for our entertainment. It only accommadated 200 people max. We sat at round tables covered with white linen. This is where I had my first true authentic Mai Tai, made with an array of real slices of fruit, 2 kinds of Rum, served in an ornamental hurricane type glass. The drinks at the Royal Lahina Luau are served in clear plastic glasses. They served very weak melted watered down Mai Tai's and melted watered down Blue Hawaiians. Children even complained of their soda pop drinks tasting like melted water.
When my husband and I were at the kiosk out front to make our payment, my B-I-L asked after seeing all the people in line if maybe this luau was over booked, and the not so friendly girl stated, "oh no, we are expecting 450 tonight but we accomodate for 700". Had we known this was going to be such a commercialized type of luau we would not have attended. This luau was a joke. They don't tell you in their advertising that to get on their property you have to wait in a very, very long line of cars to pay $4.00 to use their parking lot. I know, $4.00, big deal. I can afford a trip to Maui and I complain of a $4.00 parking fee. Well, I think instead of charging $85.00 for the luau, then make it 90.00 so you won't have to sit in line with 100 plus cars in front of you with one little man taking your money to park..
I feel sorry for the guests staying there at their property, because they too also, have to wait in the same long slow line,.
You are seated at long tables that are covered in a plastic type vinyl. A heavy sprinkle hit about 45 minutes before we sat down and all fold out chairs were wet as was the table tops. I had on a rather very nice dress and asked for a towel to wipe our chairs down, but to no avail, so we shuffled in our purses for kleenex.
In regards to the food. .I thought I was in a time warp and was back here in OKC eating at a restaurant that has a Hereford Cow standing out front.. Their web site tells you they have Mahi-Mahi, they did not. The small pieces of strip steak were like leather. The pork was not sliced. They must run it thru a shredder and it sits in a big heap in a big metal pan almost floating in some type of water base. It had absolutely no flavor. I didn't try the turkey leg but my sister said hers was very dry. The chicken thighs were okay, but a little too pink for me. Endive salad was okay, but the macaroni salad and long noodle salad tasted just like what I buy in the deli here.
And how in the world you can mess up choclate cake is beyond me. It was very dry and the icing had a sour taste.
Guess I am spoiled by the luau I attended in Oahu. The females who performed there were gorgeous women. These performers were of the age of 10 and not over 18. In fact, several of the girls and boys, we had seen perform the day before inside the Cannery Mall there on Front Street.
We were so displeased that we left before the Samoan Fire Dance so I cannot coment on it. The highlight of any of the entertainment was when a young girl around 18 performed the "Hawaiian Love Song". She was outstanding.
We plan on returning to Maui this next year and am hoping I can talk my husband into trying the other Luau on Front Street like we should have done to begin with.

4 Thank ChelleLee
southern California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fun for kids if your on a budget.”
Reviewed February 21, 2007

This was our kids first luau and they loved it. And for $49.95 for each adult and each kid with a paying adult is free at Boss Frogs dive shop. For the money it was worth it. It wasn't the best food but kids are picky anyways. And we had fun watching our daughter learn the hula onstage. Drinks are watered down, but you can order something different. Some of the performers aren't even Hawaiin, but our kids didn't mind.

2 Thank dragonfly78
Twin Cities, MN
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed December 6, 2006

My husband and I spent a week in Maui for our honeymoon. Each day, we went out and took advantage of the many activites that Maui has to offer. The only time I felt like we truly wasted our money was when we went to this luau. Like other travelers, we were told to show up more than a half hour before anyone was allowed in. We didn't know this at the time; we were told if you show up earlier, you get better seating. This is not the case. They tell you where you're going to sit. I thought that the drinks tasted like they were made with the cheapest alcohol available, and they were watered down. Behind stage, I could see large trays holding 15 drinks or more just sitting, melting, waiting to be brought out. The setting is definitely not intimate as one might hope. There were literally hundreds of people packed into one space, seated at plastic tables with metal chairs. We waited in line for food for a very long time, and it was definitely not worth waiting for. Since we paid more to go to this event than we did for dinner at any restaurant we visited, I expected it to be really good. It was maybe average. People were free to get seconds if they wished, but I had no desire to since I didn't even eat my first plate. I am not a picky eater either. As for the show, it wasn't too bad. The host of the evening tried to get the guests excited, but reminded us of a Las Vegas Elvis, very cheesy and fakey. The dancers were not what I pictured as far as their appearance goes, but they were pretty good dancers. Some of the dancing was very authentic and I enjoyed that. Part of the show involved Hollywood's take on Hawaii, and that wasn't all that great. There were quite a few families at this event. I would not recommmed this for teenagers. We sat next to a family with two teens, and they couldn't wait to leave. They thought it was all so lame. Younger children may have had a different experience. To sum it up, I will definitely not recommend this luau to any of my family or friends simply because I felt like a stupid tourist the whole time I was sitting there; like I was suckered into this expensive event where the food wasn't good, and the drinks were worse.

18 Thank Happy_In_Maui