“It was ok...not a do-over next time I go”
Review of Royal Lahaina Luau

Royal Lahaina Luau
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Myths of Maui Luau Dinner and a Show
Ranked #9 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Myths of Maui Luau The last rays of a spectacular sunset, beating drums and the call of the conch shell signal the start of Maui's most exciting and longest running Polynesian luau. You will enjoy a breathtaking celebration of traditional Hawaiian, Tahitian, Samoan and Maori dance and music as performers weave the legends of the South Pacific into a spellbinding performance you are sure to treasure for years to come.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've always loved luau's, even though it's a touristy thing to do. I love tasting Hawaiian food and hearing the music and watching the dancing. I was less impressed this time than when I went to the same luau 5 years ago. It was New Years Eve, albeit, so it was packed! We waited an hour + to get up and eat. My young kids were famished by the time our table went through the buffet. The food was mediocre. Corn wasn't fresh...it was from a can. The meat was ok...not great but what you might expect from a buffet. To get a drink, I waited 30 minutes in line. Not enough drink stations to serve 500 people (2 lines only). The drinks were very weak, so when they say open bar it was hardly worth the wait. The show was fun, but typical luau. If you've never been to one, it might be worth a try but don't have high expectations for the food/drinks. I've been to Hawaii 7 times and attended a luau every time. This is probably my last...and this one in particular is definitely my last.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)
All reviews
"plenty of food"
in 49 reviews
"buffet style"

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The show was fine. Food was ok and service was good. There was lots of time to visit at your table and no shortage of food at the buffet line. Pretty decent family event.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had gone to our first ever Luau at the Royal Lahaina Luau back in 2005 and enjoyed it tremendously. So when we took our family of three and all four of our parents to Maui again for Christmas, the Royal Lahaina Luau was on the top of our list and we booked it through the "Ohana Fun Hawaii" agency.

We got there around 4:30pm and waited for what seemed like a very long time, but eventually we got in. Instead of pictures with hula dancers (like at other luaus and from when we first came here in 2005), they'd take your group picture at the entrance. Fair enough, we weren't interested in buying the picture anyway. We all got a shell lei even though our child came in for free, she got a lei as well and were led to our table. It is a large open area and even though we were seated in almost the farthest back corner from the stage, we could still see it just fine. We were right up close to the sunset stage though so that was a good trade off.

They did open up the face painting and bracelet making for the kids so our daughter enjoyed getting a Ti leaf bracelet made while we waited for the show to start. Their typical free drinks of Blue Hawaiian and Mai Tais were as we remembered them - watered down and not that good. But the POG juice was good.

As the introductions and singing began, we could feel light showers being blown by the wind from the clouds up in the mountains. They were on again off again and very light which was fine. When they started opening up the buffet lines, the clouds were above us and it lightly showered. I questioned if they had some back up plan to move ppl inside, because surely they do this often enough to know that rain can dampen the mood. Their back up plan was to pass out rain ponchos, which was better than nothing. It didn't rain hard, but enough such that you didn't want to have your camera exposed to it.

We were part of the last 2 tables to get called up to the buffet. My husband and inlaws went down one buffet line and my parents, my daughter and I went down an adjacent line. My inlaws' line, was running low on vegetables and in some cases, were just plain out of food for some dishes. My line was okay so we passed on some food to them.

When we were told to go to the buffet line, the luau manager told us that usually they wait for 30mins after the last table has gotten their food to start the show so that everyone had a chance to eat. But tonight, they were going to move it up to 15 mins. We got back to our table and probably about 5 mins later, just as my parents sat down and got ready to eat, they turned off the lights and only had the stage lights on. So that left our table and the other table who joined us at the buffet eating in the dark. Hard to enjoy your food when you can't see it. The food was good though. The pork and chicken were moist and seasoned just right.

The show was good as we remembered it, although in the past, they had a sunset dance, where a single hula dancer was on the sunset stage, dancing with the sunset as the background. They didn't have that this time as the sun had set while people were getting their food.

Also, the rest rooms INSIDE the luau area only had 2 stalls in the women's room. If it was busy, you'd have to go out of the gates to another restroom.

So, pros: free watered down drinks, shell leis, face painting and bracelet making for the kids, beautiful view of the sunset, very good show, food was good (if your buffet line doesn't run out)
If you're staying nearby, just walk and save on the parking fee.

Cons: if you're going during rainy season, it won't be enjoyable; buffet gets picked over if you're near last to go, so split up and go down different buffet lines.

We only went to the luau to give our parents the experience since 3 of the 4 had ever gone to one before. This will be our last luau.

1  Thank nsyvenky
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Sometimes reading these reviews will put some negative thoughts in your head but I always have to remember that everyone has different levels of expectations. My wife and I and our 2 girls, ages 6 and 8, have very simple expectations-we want friendly service, decent food and a good show and that's what The Royal Lahaina Luau gave us. It's wasn't crowded, the setting was beautiful ( yes it's on levelled gravel but right on e ocean and under the stars), the show was fun and the there is booze in the drinks. Overall a great time for the family!

1  Thank Wicksie33