We stayed here for 4 nights in early February. It was a wonderful condomium and I would recommend it to anyone.
The best part is the view. Many condos advertise "beachfront" or "great view" but this place truly delivers. There was NOTHING between our balcony and the ocean, other than a few feet of lawn, a few black lava rocks, then sand and waves. I could throw a stone from our balcony and hit the water (and I can't throw very far). Every day (actually every hour) we could see multiple humpback whales swimming past. Sea turtles are everywhere although we couldn't see them very well from our balcony. The best place to see them seems to be standing at the top of the sea ladder. They would come within one foot of the base of the ladder and poke their head up, as if to say "hello!".
The condo itself was clean and recently updated. Appliances were very new and fancy. The bed was comfortable and we slept great. There is a room air conditioner in the bedroom but we never needed it. All rooms have ceiling fans to keep them cool. The bedroom is at the back of the unit (away from the ocean and very near the pool). I thought noise from the pool would be a problem but it was not because the pool closed at 9:00 (or maybe 10:00) and closing time was strictly enforced. The condo complex in general was very quiet. We never heard noise from other surrounding condos. The noise from the waves crashing on the shore was tremendously loud but for me, that was a plus.
The snorkeling in front of the condo was generally poor. We tried to snorkel close to shore, where the turtles were hanging out. The visibility close to shore was very poor due to sand turbulence. You cannot see more than one foot ahead of you. My husband almost bumped into some sea turtles because he could not see them until he was on top of them. When you are near shore, the waves constantly buffet you and threaten to push you into the rocks. Since this area is not in a protected bay, we were leary of swimming far from shore. Other beaches (our favorite was Napili Bay) have better visibility and snorkeling opportunities. The beach itself is very small. There is a small strip of sand, big enough for 4-6 people to set chairs, if they don't mind getting their feet wet by bigger waves and being close to strangers.
We were also disappointed that it is impossible to walk on the beach for any distance. We discovered that most of Hawaii's shoreline is made up of large rocks that jut far into the ocean. And you are unable to walk on the lawns or property abutting the ocean because most of the resorts have fencing that goes up to the water. Here in Michigan, we are accustomed to sandy shorelines that continues for miles and miles with no interruptions. There are sidewalks on the road that runs behind the resorts (away from the water) that most people used for long walks. But there is not much within walking distance anyways. There are no beachfront restaurants or bars less than a mile away.
As far as amenities, we enjoyed the use of the cooler and beach chairs. We were grateful for the provided beach towels. The kitchen was well supplied and clean. The balcony had a table, four chairs and two foot stools. The freezer had an ice maker and we made use of the Brita water pitcher. Plenty of pillows were provided and I appreciated the fleece throw for cooler times on the balcony.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kuleana Resort boasts a truly remarkable oceanfront location, on West Maui's pristine coastline, with a gorgeous panoramic view of the Pacific ocean and the nearby islands of Molokai and Lanai. We offer you a rare piece of vintage Hawaii with the convenience and comfort of today. For over 25 years, we have strived to make sure that our guests have the most unique Hawaiian vacation. The atmosphere of our resort is friendly, family-oriented, homey and fun. This rare gem sparkles with the beauty of the tropics that only years of aloha can provide ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your The Kuleana Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kuleana Hotel Lahaina
- The Kuleana Resort Maui/Lahaina