“Best Place to Stay On Maui”
Review of Ho'oilo House

Ho'oilo House
Ranked #2 of 11 Lahaina B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 12, 2007

This place by far exceeded our expectations. We stayed here 3 nights out of our 9 days stay at Maui. I wish we had stayed more.

Location: It is only 5 minutes of driving distance from Lahaina and is located in an upscale and quiet neighborhood with unbelievably beautiful views of ocean in front and mountains in the back.

Room: The room and the whole house was beautifully designed with very classy furniture and decorated with unique and beautiful items. The outdoor shower was a very refreshing experience. Me and my wife both enjoyed it. They provide Aveda products which was just awsome.

Service: Dan and Amy were very warm and welcoming hosts. Dan went out of his way to make sure that our stay was pleasant. The restaurants and attractions he recommended were top notch. The breakfast was just perfect.

This place was the most beautiful place I have ever stayed in my 15 years of extensive travels.

Great job Dan and Amy!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gbpatel76

Reviewed December 15, 2006

We found this place through TripAdvisor, and it really is as gorgeous and peaceful as described in all the reviews. Very close to Lahaina yet worlds away up the hill in a quiet, upscale neighborhood.

The rooms are arranged in 2 groups of 3 on each side of the main house: Nalu facing the front, Akala Manu on the side, and Wailele facing the back. On the other side Kohola in front, Nalu, and Kipuka in the back, but its lanai is on the side. The photos on the website show an accurate view from each room -- although you can get the same fantastic view just by stepping outside your lanai onto the lawn and pulling over a chair. I loved walking around the yard in my bare feet – short, soft grass like on a golf course -- looking at the islands of Lana'i and Moloka'i in the distance, and listening to the water spilling gently from the basins arranged along the edge of the pool. Some evenings, the clouds descend low upon the contours of the West Maui mountains, viewed from behind the house, and in the misty stillness Nature holds her breath.

We stayed 3 nights in Akala Manu and, as it faces the side, found it to be very private – people tend to walk all over the front of the lawn but not around the sides. It also has a huge and very pretty bathroom with a textured stone floor and a copper tub and sink. The outdoor shower took a little getting used to – it is a sensuous yet rustic experience.

Dan was great – gave us excellent sightseeing tips and lent us an I-Pod docking station to use in the room. They were just working on Nalu’s new floor, so there were even fewer guests that weekend. We hardly saw anyone – even at breakfast or in the afternoon, there is plenty of space on the grounds and inside the main room to find a secluded spot and the guests seem to really respect one another’s privacy. The breakfast is healthy and simple. I loved the selections of herbal teas (coffee and hot water for the tea are available throughout the day) and the natural sodas and bottled water in the fridges outside the rooms.

My only recommendations for improvements would be to add screens to the lanai doors so you can leave the doors open at night to take advantage of the ideal mid-60’s temps. Our room had no other windows that we could open, and the mosquitoes were very bad as soon as the sun went down. The A/C and ceiling fan worked fine, but I would have enjoyed the open air in the evenings.

Such beautiful small places are a rare find. When we return to Maui we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GreenMermaid
Reviewed November 23, 2006

I was looking for a non main-stream place to stay in Maui. I found the Ho'oilo House online. This place is incredible. If you’re looking for tons of amenities like poolside service, fancy dinners, and ocean-front cabanas – this is not the place; however, if you are looking for a quiet getaway with incredible views of the Pacific Ocean, distinct rooms and a peaceful pool – this is it! The main area of the house is done in a Polynesian style with floor to ceiling windows that look out onto the pool, the ocean and the island of Lanai in the distance. Breathtaking. I spent 2 mornings at the pool completely by myself – except for the gardener who obviously works very hard on keeping the place looking incredible. At night I sat by the pool and watched the stars before going to bed – again, there was no one in sight. There are only 6 rooms at this place so there are not many other guests floating around the property. The rooms are also done in Polynesian style with outdoor showers. Really nice. Dan and Amy run the house and were very helpful on several occasions with dinner & sightseeing recommendations. The worst part about this place is that it is not very well marked on the street so arriving late at night after flying from the east coast was a bit of a challenge (poor me). The best part …. absolutely everything else.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank JimSTravel
Reviewed November 13, 2006

We stayed in the Kohala suite for 4 day/3nights early November. It was such a relaxing experience. The Kohala probably has the most excellent ocean view, however, each of the rooms offer their own benefits. I would request the Kohala again but would gladly go with another room if it wasn't available.
You only need to visit the website for the guest house to get an idea of how lovely it is. Seeing it in person is even better.
The decor is exquisite. There is a lovely pool for the guests to enjoy. There's only 6 rooms, so other than breakfast time the house is really peaceful.
The highlight of our suite has to be the outdoor shower. You will absolutely love it! You're showering with an obstructed view of the ocean.
Breakfast is super. Lots of coffee, tea, juice, fresh baked breads, fresh fruit, cereal, granola and hard boiled eggs. It's a nice time to mingle with the hosts and other guests.
The rooms are stocked with towels for the pool, and great aveda products.
There are refrigerators between the rooms, stocked with waters and natural sodas. This is a nice touch.
The owners are replacing suite carpeting with bamboo flooring. This will greatly improve the look of the rooms.
We wouldn't choose to stay anywhere else on Maui after our stay at Ho'oilo.
Lastly, check out the comment books in the rooms--they offer great tips on the best places to visit and dine. Even better, ask Dan. He recommended Hailemaile General Store to us. We'll never make another trip to Maui without stopping here for lunch or dinner. Check out it's website--you'll get the idea. Aloha.

Stayed: November 2006
4  Thank deelar
Reviewed September 25, 2006

We stayed at the Ho'oilo House for 3 nights in the Wailele and Nalu rooms in mid September. After reading all of the other reviews on this site, I actually planned our vacation around room availability here. My husband and I were not disappointed. It's just incredible. So peaceful and romantic and beautiful! Although it was fully occupied, we seldom ran into other couples except for at breakfast, and there are enough tables and chairs around the pool or inside to have privacy. Dan and Amy live in the house immediately next door to the B & B. I really loved the Hawaiian music that played in the common areas- very soothing-and you could turn it on in your room if you wanted. The views could not be beat. One wonderful surprise was the night sky- on a clear Maui night the stars are amazing. Sitting on your private lanai, gazing at the stars with swaying palm trees nearby...well you get the picture. The outdoor shower is another treat! The breakfast is simple, filling and delicious. Dan was a huge help and answered all of my tourist questions patiently; we didn't get to meet Amy except through her delicious homemade breads and muffins. The pool is great if you take the time to use it. The rooms were very clean and the decor was beautiful. While the Nalu room has the ocean view, it is much smaller than the Wailele room and I actually preferred the Wailele as it seemed a bit more private. Also in the Nalu room there is no privacy in the bathroom (no door to the bathroom OR toilet) so that might bother some people. Try to arrive before dark as it does get VERY dark on the mountainside and you will probably drive right by the driveway (immediately following a "private, do not enter " driveway). If you are looking for peace and quiet or romance in Maui, you MUST stay at this house!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MannMom
Reviewed September 14, 2006

We just returned from Maui a few days ago, and the better half of our vacation was spent at Ho'oilo House, in the Honu room. Everything was very well designed, well thought out, looked great, and felt extrememly comfortable. The outdoor shower was truely the most refreshing experience. One morning when I turned the outdoor shower faucet I awakened a sleeping geko lizard, who was blocking the spout! Yes, all of Maui is full of critters, but none will ever bother you on your stay.

I can't imagine anything more romantic, relaxing, comfortable, private, refreshing, and breathtaking... a perfect place for honeymooners.

Book ahead, they only have 6 rooms, I think.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris_and_Linda
Reviewed September 9, 2006

We just returned from the Hooilo House in Lahaina, where we had an amazing experience. We stayed in the Kipuka Suite, one of the larger suites, which was sumptuously furnished--the bed was beautiful and SO comfortable (even the throw pillows were soft!!!). Amazing marble bathrooms and awesome outdoor shower--probably the most refreshing shower I've ever had! Great Aveda products too--be sure to take advantage of the complimentary Swamp Juice insect repellant--it's the only bug repellant I've ever used that works!

The grounds have beautiful views of the ocean, and perfect for watching the sun set (the sun rises over the West Maui Mountains, so you can't see it as well). The last time I was in Maui, I stayed in the Four Seasons, and the Hooilo House felt just as if not more luxurious. It's a better bargain too since it includes a really delicious breakfast (fresh baked muffins every day, tropical fruit salad, tropical granola and cornflakes, hard boiled eggs, coffee, tea, three different kinds of milk, and juices) and complimentary bottled water and soda. While the Hooilo House has a great, romantic feel of getting away from it all, just at the bottom of the hill is the beach as well as the freeway, which is just minutes away from Lahaina (great town to shop and eat--make sure to visit the Aloha Mixed Plate and have the shoyu chicken--you can have dinner for under $4!), and about 20 minutes from Maalaea Harbor (the departure point for snorkeling and sailing).

The Hooilo House also provides swim towels in the room, and you can borrow movies from Dan and Amy (who are both very nice and friendly). When we come back to Maui (and we will!), I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JKSL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
#4 of 11 in Lahaina
Maui Guest House
Maui Guest House
#3 of 11 in Lahaina

Been to Ho'oilo House? Share your experiences!