“Beautiful !”

Ho'oilo House
Ranked #2 of 11 Lahaina B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had an great time staying at the Ho'oilo house! The breakfast was fresh and a delicious start to the day (esp the granola), grounds are beautiful, the wood work is spectacular, and the outdoor showers are a great plus. Beautiful view of the ocean and mountains.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I really wanted to stay here because I love Hawaii and Bali style architecture. Perfect, right? Not so much.

The house and the setting is gorgeous. We could actually see whales breeching in the water. There were binoculars available to help you see them better too. Lahaina is definitely the area for whale watching. The common room is beautiful, breakfast was light but tasty and the bottled water was so nice to have available.

It would be a lovely place to hang out except the owners made it so unwelcoming. Our entire stay, they did not speak to us or acknowledge us at all. Another guest asked for hot cocoa instead of tea and was scoffed at as they said it was a "children's drink". We were in the same room and they still did not say 'hello'. Children are not allowed as guests here but their children were allowed to hang out. There is coffee and tea set out at all times but nowhere to dump the leaves and no fridge or ice for milk. It was expressly spelled out that we were not to enter the kitchen. Tried to relax and enjoy my breakfast but the owners proceeded to have a very loud and rude phone conversation and then a discussion of how rude the receiver was when they did not get their needs met. It feels like they could not afford to keep their luxury house so they rent out rooms to pay the bills. They try to ignore you so they do not have to be reminded that you are there, paying their bills. I won't be back but I am sure that is what they want.

The place is in a lot of disrepair and needs work. We stayed in two rooms: Akala Manu & Nalu. Akala Manu has no view but was larger and more private. The tub never drained, the shower sprays into the bathroom and the water was ice cold. The sink leaked constantly. The fan did not work well and there are no screens if you want to open the door to the lanai for air. Unlike another reviewer, I expect cockroaches in Hawaii and I love when the geckoes come in the room but we actually did not have any problems with pests. There is a break in the bushes so when people walk past, they see directly into the bedroom. No big deal, right? Except there are constant deliveries, guests coming and going and the neighbor walks "laps" back and forth.

Nalu is very pretty, facing the ocean but small. You'd think with that amazing view you'd want to keep the curtains open. But anyone on the lawn sees right in. We had kept the lanai door open because it was so hot but had to scramble early in the morning to close it when the sprinklers came on , practically on the bed. The next morning we were rudely awakened by the gardener mowing. If the owners had deemed to talk to us and tell us of the schedule, that would be different. Not so romantic. Please warn me if I need to wear pajamas at all times in my room. The shower here worked better but was too low. I'm 5'6" so most guys probably won't enjoy it. The tub was cool looking but after the cold showers, I didn't even try it. The pretty Chinese bed is too big for the room and one person has to sleep on the inside. There is no nightstand, just a flimsy table that only the person on the outside can reach anyway. If I lived here alone, this would be my room for the view but that's it.

Even with the view and all the pretty Balinese elements, this place is an overpriced joke. $300 a night for rude people and poor plumbing. Stay in a nice hotel with room service, privacy and people who at least understand it is their job to be nice to you. Heaven forbid you want to feel special on your honeymoon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Gator G
HooiloHouse, Owner at Ho'oilo House, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

It is challenging to write a response to this review. There are several details that are simply untrue. The combination of these un-truths and being called horrible people does make this review very personal and offensive. That said, it is unfortunate that these are the memories brought home by this couple. For that, we are sincerely apologetic.

While we are available for guests when needed, we do leave guests to enjoy the peace of Ho'oilo House. This is certainly not meant to offend or make unwelcome. All guests should feel welcomed and valued. We obviously failed with this couple and that is truly unfortunate.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Checked into the Nalu Room May 1. Was nice but being ten years old it is starting to look it, and the whole place in general could use a good cleaning. Breakfast was small and Amy never once said hello to us-not very welcoming-she doesn't even make eye contact with her guests. Only 6 rooms here-not hard to be nice! Nice views- but would not go back.

Room Tip: Nalu room you have to climb over the other person to get in and out of bed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Dlfarruggio

This review is almost entirely directed at me (Amy). For that I feel the need to offer a personal explanation (not excuse) for what this guest experienced at Ho'oilo House. Typically, we are available for guests when needed - but we do leave guests to enjoy the peace of Ho'oilo House. Recently, I have been dealing with a flare up of a newly diagnosed auto-immune disease. Every day this has left me dealing with varying degrees of pain, energy and exhaustion. There are stretches of time when I'm doing the minimum of my work (set up breakfast and answer emails) and Dan has been left to pick up the slack. It is unfortunate that I made this couple feel unwelcome. It is truly not my intent and I am sincerely sorry.

As for Ho'oilo House starting to show its age, this review has prompted us to look for ways of improving.

We thank this guest for their review.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

It has taken me many months to finally decide to write this review as I believe ones initial feelings towards a situation are always stronger than their feelings over time and I did not want to overly express my husband and I’s negative feelings towards Ho’oilo House as we did enjoy half of our stay there. However, I think reviewing places is very important as we wished we had read reviews from this website before we booked our honeymoon at Ho’oilo House.

Last October (2012) we arrived from our just married high (or exhaustion) as we stayed up all night post wedding and flew out first thing in the morning bound for Maui, we were very excited. Although we had some trouble finding Ho’oilo House in the dark we were able to call Dan and he instructed us on where they were. Although we did find it strange to arrive at a place without any staff there to greet us/give us a key to our room, we were still awe-struck. We truly had landed in paradise. Walking into Ho’oilo House at night with the pool all lit up really is a site to be seen and I’m sure anyone reading this that has stayed there as well can agree. We had booked the first 5 days of our 10 day trip in the Honu room, which we loved. There was one little gecko in our room the night we arrived, but we quickly caught it and set it free outside. The bed, bathroom, tub, and shower were all beautiful. Ho’oilo House even finds a way to make the toilets beautiful by putting flowers in the water after each cleaning. Showering outside at night under the stars was amazing. The terrace/yard area off the room was gorgeous as well with a partial ocean view. The only thing about the Honu room was there were small white ants crawling all over the bathroom sink, but it did not bother us. Even though the breakfast was small we still enjoyed it, everything was very fresh and we were full from it each day. Dan was very nice and helpful with providing info on beaches to visit/areas to go. He even gave us beach chairs and a cooler to borrow when we went to the beach. I do not think we had one conversation with Amy although we did see her a few times. The cleaning staff was very nice as well.

After our 5th night there we had to switch rooms to the Nalu room as the Honu room had already been booked for the 2nd half of our stay. Although we loved the Honu room, we were excited to try one of the other rooms as they are all different. The first night in the new room as I was walking to the bathroom a giant cockroach ran across the floor. I screamed and froze and the cockroach froze too as if to be just as startled as I was. Now I know we were in Maui and cockroaches are seen on all the islands, but when you are paying a decent amount of money to stay at a nice place they are the last creatures I want to see running around my living space while in paradise. I've stayed in New York City which the sidewalks literally crawl with them at night and still never saw one running around my hotel room (thankfully). Needless to say my husband and I caught and killed the cockroach and left it under a cup to show Dan in the morning as it was late. We were both so creeped out though that we kept the lights on all night and I don’t think my husband slept at all. The next morning we called Dan into the room to show him the cockroach. He didn't seem to be too phased by it (I’m sure when you live on the islands you get use to such things, but still). We wanted to leave, however Dan was not at first very willing to refund our last couple nights at Ho’oilo House and there was no way we were paying for roachville while we were also paying to stay somewhere else. He offered to first spray the room and if we saw another cockroach then he would refund our remaining couple nights and send us a free 3 night’s stay coupon (which he never did, but we wouldn't have used it anyway). So we went out for the day around town, came back to a stinky room, but we were like we’ll deal. My husband and I were lying on the bed watching the gorgeous sunset over Lanai when all of a sudden something fell from the ceiling fan and landed on my leg. It was small, brown, and soft. We both looked up and there was at least 2 geckos sitting on top of the ceiling fan. Clearly one had gone to the bathroom, which was what landed on my leg. Now there are geckos all over this property and I do not have a problem with them, but once they start crapping on me, I’m done. At that point it really was the icing on the cake. My husband and I could not get out of there fast enough. We called Dan and said we wanted to leave ASAP and wanted a refund for the remaining nights. At least Dan was apologetic and nice enough to offer suggestions on where else to stay on Maui and one of the places he suggested was Makena Beach and Golf resort, which we ended up going to and it was AMAZING. They even gave us an upgraded ocean view room for the same price as a non-ocean view and let me tell you nothing compares to hearing the waves from your room (but I’ll save that review for their review page). It was also nice to stay on the other side of the island that is greener and less desert like.

Bottom line, this place is gorgeous, but if you don’t like bugs, geckos, or cockroaches, this is NOT the place for you. Also, who knows, if we had stayed in the Honu room the whole time we may have never seen/known about the cockroaches. It’s one of those things though; once you see it you can’t forget it. I am also a firm believer that if you stay somewhere long enough you will see its imperfections. I hope this review helps anyone looking into this place as we wish we had read some of the reviews on this website before booking Ho’oilo house because others had commented on the cockroaches as well. We still remember the good time we had there before changing rooms. However, sadly we would not return to Ho’oilo House.

Room Tip: Honu is a great room. Spacious, and has a partial ocean view/lovely yard area. Full ocean view rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank hjumper8
HooiloHouse, Owner at Ho'oilo House, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

As always, we truly appreciate our guests taking the time to write a review...this is no exception, thank you.

We were happy this couple was able to enjoy the first half of their stay with us and experience a bit of what so many people rave about. The remainder of their visit was an unfortunate experience and for that they have our sincere apologies. Every once in awhile someone has a bug encounter in their room...this is certainly something we try to avoid and for the most part we are very successful. It's truly unfortunate when this happens - it's not specific to any room, it's not specific to any time of year, it's just an unfortunate and rare situation that we try to avoid. (Geckos on the other hand are a part of our Hawaii life, guests will see them around the property when staying with us.)

While we certainly wish this sort of thing would never happen, and we wish it had not happened for these guests, we try to do everything we can to make it right. We understand that we will not have the pleasure of these guests again, and that is truly regrettable.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I hate to review this place because it is so gorgeous and so reasonable that the result will only be higher prices in the future. There are only six rooms in this house (per the owner it was a built as a spec house) and with six unique bedrooms and the design of the house is exquisite. The showers are outdoors (with privacy) and one feels if they have the house to themselves. The proprietor is quite generous with his time and seems well versed at discussing most any topic and is quite charming. The rooms are lovely and well appointed, save the bed in our room, which was quite tall (but elegant and comfy) but required some work getting in and out. I have a friend back in the mainland whose son is getting married this year, and I recommended he consider coming here for his honeymoon. It is QUITE romantic, even for someone who has been married for 30 years ... you cannot go wrong. My only recommendation would be to get a room facing the ocean ... the view is worth the extra money. It has a small but elegant pool and excellent breakfast. If you prefer big resort hotels or have children, this is probably not the place for you. Also, the Inn is up on the hill, above Lahaina, so it is not within walking distance of the town or the beach ... a rental car is a necessity. That said, if you enjoy your privacy, tranquility and a secluded getaway ... go for it.

Room Tip: They are all nice, but I strongly recommend getting a room facing the ocean or to the side garden, I...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the lovely review!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I got married in Maui and we stayed here for our elopement and honeymoon.
I can only say great things about this place. If you are trying to get away from annoying touristy people please stay here! This place truly makes you feel like your at home because since there are only so many rooms, you barely see other people around. There is also no kids allowed! The outdoor shower was my one of my favorite things about our room as well as the outdoor patio. We stayed in the room Nalu, which I highly reccommend because it has an awesome ocean view. The owners were very personable and accomadating. The location is very close to front street in Lahaina where all the restaurants and shops are. Overall a very postivie experience!

Room Tip: Nalu! Great ocean views, great layout and close to the pool.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We both work for hotels so we wanted to stay someplace that would offer us a little more privacy for our honeymoon being that we were traveling over Spring Break. This is a lovely property with an amazing pool and incredible view. We stayed in the Nalu room for three nights which had a wonderful ocean view, great outdoor shower, and a deep soaking tub. I will warn anyone who may be “shy” that there is no door on the toilet area so if that is a concern for you, this would not be the room for you. For the other nights we stayed in the Wailele which did have a separate toilet closet, a very comfortable bed, nice antique tub, and wonderful outdoor shower with a mountain view. While we didn’t have ideal weather, they views from the property were amazing and the few days we could enjoy the pool were fantastic. We hardly saw any of the other couples. Breakfast was great with a different freshly baked bread and muffin choice daily. There was fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee, teas, and juices to pick from. There was never a shortage of options. We appreciated Dan’s insight on several great places to eat and appreciated the helpfulness. Our standards are high due to our profession and I would not only visit again but would tell anyone considering a trip to look into booking here as well.

Room Tip: Again, be sure to ask if the room has a door on the water closet if you are shy around your partner.
2  Thank SmRubin

Thank you for the great review. We truly appreciate your 'industry' eyes and are so pleased that we were able to impress you! We look forward to your return!

Amy & Dan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
#3 of 11 in Lahaina
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Ho'oilo House? Share your experiences!