“The best of the best”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Winchester, Virginia
“The best of the best”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I chose to spend our honeymoon at the Ho'oilo House. There is not a doubt in our minds that we chose the best place. We often talk about how much we want to go back, and we promised that it would happen sooner than later.
When you walk into the main room of the house you are immediately wrapped up in the beauty of the detailed woodwork, spectacular views, and peaceful atmosphere. Our room was absolutely amazing. We really felt comfortable at the Ho'oilo House, as if we actually lived there. We looked forward to the in-house breakfast spread: fresh muffins, juices, eggs, toast, coffee and tea, and the MOST WONDERFUL fruit we have ever had. We found the hosts to be very helpful for insider tips on restaurants and other things to get into on the island. The grounds were amazing, and the pool was just right for an afternoon dip.
You are a minutes drive to Lahaina (an adorable town on the water) and close to many of the beaches Maui has to offer. If you want a unique experience that will certainly stick with you, The Ho'oilo House is a great bet. It is truly a paradise within itself.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
California
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I originally won a 3 nights stay at the Ho'oilo House on eBay and I wasn't sure what this place was going to be like from just the pictures, but once we arrived I couldn't believe my eyes. The magnificent elevated location and view was out of this world. We had the Kohola Room which is the room that overlooks the ocean view and faces Lana'i. From the outside shower you have an open view of the Pacific Ocean. Dan & Amy (the house host and hostess) are fantastic people and Dan even took time out to play golf with me. My wife and I can't wait to revisit this paradise in Hawaii.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My wife & I stayed here on our honeymoon and the experience exceeded our expectations. It was our first time to Maui and we choose the Ho'oilo House over the other resorts in the area and were glad we did, it provided us with a quiet, relaxing & romantic getaway. The house and grounds are beautiful & very tranquil, and we enjoyed a quiet breakfast at the tables in the back with a great view of the ocean. The rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable, and we slept with all the windows open and heard nothing but wind rustling the palm trees. While we occasionally saw other couples at breakfast, for the most part we felt we had the place to ourselves, which was great. We wanted peace & quiet in romantic setting, and we got it. I would recommend Ho'oilo House to anyone who wants a relaxing, romantic place to stay in Maui.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I chose Ho'oilo House in Maui for our babymoon. We realized the rest of our lives would be full of huge hotels and tons of people :) Ho'oilo House is absolutely amazing. Amy and Dan the hosts/owners are wonderful. The House itself is a dream and views are breathtaking. It was hard to tear ourselves away from the house after a morning breakfast and swim in the pool. Fresh breakfast every morning, speciality teas, local coffee, fresh fruit and muffins and cereals to choose from. We even got take-out one night to eat on the patio and enjoy the sunset. Just as good as any fancy restaurant! Super comfy room and bed, with private patio and outside shower. Seriously, not one complaint. If you can get here - get here. It will be in our dreams for a long time. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This review is very late, but I thought it would be better for the review if I didn't write it immediately upon leaving - I wasn't overly thrilled with our experience. Even though many many months have passed, I could still write a laundry lists of things they just didn't quite hit the mark on.

First and foremost, I don't know if any other reviewers mentioned this, but this b&b is in a residential neighborhood. While the houses are not right on top of each other, they are quite a bit closer than what you might imagine based on the website photos. We stayed in a room at the back of the house (near the parking lot) and didn't find it easy to relax on the lanai as we often heard the motors of various lawn equipment. While Amy and Dan have absolutely no control over this, it really hinders being able to just take a nap or relax in peace on the lanai or inside with the windows open (unless you like those types of sounds).

Other reviewers are correct. Amy and Dan are extremely aloof. You have to go out of your way to strike up conversation with them, and you will most likely feel like they have something better to be doing while you are talking to them.

The rooms do not automatically come with keys. You have to ask for a key so you can lock your room. I asked twice. I never received a key. Luckily there is a safe to lock all your most valuable things in. Though, this 'no-key' issue was especially bothersome b/c we arrived sometime b/t 4:30 and 5:00 and nobody was even around to greet us. There was an envelope taped on the front door expressing regrets that they were not able to greet us in person and directions to our room. One would think that they would error on the side of caution and supply a key 'just in case'.

When we arrived back from dinner on the day of arrival, Dan was in the house and said NOTHING to us. One would think an owner would recognize a stranger walking around in the house - sure, it's safe to figure it's a guest that arrived late (which 4:30/5:00 is not late in my opinion), but a simple 'hello' would have made a world of difference. They also said nothing to us at breakfast the next morning. I finally couldn't take it anymore so I introduced myself.

Breakfast repeats itself - just like the website says. I guess I thought there would be more variety in fruits served or muffins/cereals available. You have to get to breakfast early if you want to get the delicious muffins; otherwise they may be gone.

Guest seating for breakfast is very much set up for couples. One of the things we always enjoy about staying at bed and breakfasts is sharing a large table and being able to chat with other guests while we eat. The seating arrangements are such that you really can't do that. If you want nothing but time with your spouse/significant other and care nothing about what other people are exploring, then you will love this set up. I like to interact with people; it is a great way to find out about things to explore on the island and sadly we missed this part of the experience.

The glass door from the bathroom to the outdoor shower (the only shower) was extremely dirty. Lots and lots of spider webs/eggs, water marks, etc. I did not like the outdoor shower - it was not a rain shower head - it was a stream of water being spit out of the statues' mouth. Try showering in a stream of water when the wind is blowing - it's not cool...it's COLD. It's also awkward b/c outdoor showers back up to each other, so you can hear other people talking while you are showering.....nothing romantic or private about that.

I guess I was just disappointed b/c I felt like we paid much more than we should have in exchange for the hospitality that was shown to us. We've stayed at another B&B on the big island and I guess I was just expecting to have a similar experience at Ho'oilo House that we had there. We stayed 6 nights at both B&Bs on two different trips, but I felt relaxed, rested, and already contemplating when I would return to the other and after 3 nights at Ho'oilo house, I was ready to go home.

Yes, comparing prices of Ho'oilo house to other hotels, it is probably the less expensive option, but if I wanted to feel like I was in a hotel, I would have stayed at a beach front hotel where at least I wouldn't have had to deal with traffic and parking.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MsTravlAlot
HooiloHouse, Owner at Ho'oilo House, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
As is always the case, we appreciate guests taking the time to post reviews on various sites.

It is obvious that this guest put thought and time into their review. It's unfortunate that their stay was not up to expectations. We truly strive for every guest to have a wonderfully memorable experience with us and are saddened when someone does not. We do hope this guest contacts us directly so that we can further discuss their stay.

Mahalo,
Amy & Dan
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

If you want peace and quiet, this is the place to go. The rooms are very spacious and quiet. The grounds make you feel like you're at home. I expected a little more from the breakfast but was satisfied. The tea was amazing though (and I'm not even a tea drinker!).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Our stay at the Ho'oilo House was part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebration. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - I don't think it could have been any better than what it was. The Ho'oilo House was the most romantic, beautiful, clean, unique and relaxing place we've ever visited. The continental breakfast with an Hawaiian flare was always extremely fresh and delicious. I particularly loved the fresh fruit salad and Hawaiian granola. We stayed in two of the rooms and they were both awesome. The outdoor showers are large, unusual and fun. We used our private lanai's every evening while enjoying a glass of wine - very relaxing and intimate. Amy, Dan and Uncle Hal are like family. The place was better than we had ever expected or even imagined. We absolutely loved the Ho'oilo House, plan to visit it again and will highly recommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome. Use the Ho'oilo House website to see photos of each of the rooms.