Tripadvisor
Lahaina
Review Highlights
Snorkel/Snuba Maui

I have done a few trips with Trilogy and they are by far one of the best if not the best. The crews... read more

Reviewed yesterday
W4890MVmicheleh
via mobile
Fantasitc!

This was by far the best snorkel trip we have ever done in Hawaii and we have done many! The staff... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Kim D
Chicago, Illinois

Recommended experiences in and around Maui
from $31.74
from $104.12
from $78.23
from $45.22
7,692 results
All reviews cinnamon rolls captain turtle discover lanai van tour kaanapali snorkel day trip fish salad bbq chicken ice cream sundae wraps chips and salsa sunset cruise whale watching lanai tour juice crew members
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Another great snorkel trip with Trilogy. The crew was great - Captain Mike and his team were professional, fun and knowledgeable. Food on board is always yummy and you get both breakfast and lunch. Highly recommend for families or couples.

Reviewed January 21, 2020

Trust in all the 5-star reviews! Fantastic!

We did the Deluxe Sunset Sail that leaves from Kaanapali Beach and had the best time. January is whale season, so we essentially were whale watching as well. We saw probably a dozen or so, including a mom and baby duo less than five minutes in!

The crew is phenomenal - funny, friendly, and on top of service, making constant rounds so no one ever needs anything for more than a minute or two.

We were HIGHLY impressed with the value of this sail. When you look at the menu online, for the price it seems that you probably get your choice of *one* of the appetizers listed, but in fact it's two full rounds of ALL of them (3-4 per round), plus dessert, PLUS the open bar. The quality of the food is actually very good and it's presented nicely, served on plates to each couple/group, not buffet style as is more common on dinner cruises. It didn't apply to us, but there were alternatives for people with specific dietary needs.

Everything about this sail was just perfect, truly. The seating arrangements, the fun way they board (note: you definitely get a little wet, you're boarding right on shore), the music played, the crew, and the whales of course! When researching companies I repeatedly came across people saying every company is good and you can't go wrong. Maybe that's true, but I honestly can't imagine anyone being better than Trilogy!

Reviewed January 21, 2020

After seeing that a LOT of tours were offered to Molokini Crater, I chose to go with Trilogy because a former student of mine recommended their tour as a "must-do" on Maui, but also because of their overwhelmingly good reviews.

I -really- wanted to take a snorkeling cruise during my time in Hawaii, but I am prone to motion sickness. That being said, I took dramamine while driving from our lodging in Kihei to the harbor from where the tour departed. I hoped it would help me, but as I'll describe later, it didn't.

Note that you have to arrive at the dock by 6:45 a.m. - it's important to allow extra time to find parking, as a LOT of other tours set sail around 7 and the parking area is packed. Also note that Diamond Parking Service, a private company that manages the harbor parking lot, should be reported to the Better Business Bureau for bad business practices. I paid for my parking spot via their website and STILL returned to my rental car to find a ticket on it from the lot attendant, even though my online parking payment was still in effect. Don't be afraid to challenge them - they are bullies - but if you can show proof of payment, you will not be charged if you did actually pay.

We set sail on Trilogy's newest catamaran with our crew: Captain Katie, Kaeo, Eleni, and Dave P. Everyone was no-nonsense, cheerful, and did an excellent job of looking out for those who were having difficulties on the tour (including me!).

After a safety briefing, delicious-looking cinnamon buns were brought up on deck. However, I already was feeling ill in my stomach – the channel between Maui and Molokini is a windy place, and part of why this tour involves an early morning departure is to avoid the afternoon winds. However, it was too much for me, and while most people were enjoying the cinnamon buns and coffee, I was in the (very clean and stylish, mind you) bathroom, throwing up.

Apparently the sailing conditions were quite good and so our boat was able to sail around the back side of the crater for a peek at that area, renowned for wonderful scuba dives. We arrived at the front side of Molokini with the advice that we should get ourselves into the water ASAP since we’d have a limited time to snorkel. We were given instructions about fitting the snorkel mask. I appreciated that the crew made coral-safe sunblock available early in the tour and advised us to put it on well before reaching Molokini so it wouldn’t just wash off.

I highly recommend buying a waterproof pouch for one’s phone for use on this tour! My partner was able to take all sorts of cool videos and photos during our various snorkeling excursions in Hawaii, and the Molokini trip was no exception.

The crater was breathtaking. As expected, our boat was not the only one there – but it didn’t feel “crowded” to me. I think perhaps there were 30 of us on the boat, but there was plenty of room to spread out. The water was exceptionally clear and we saw lots of species of fish, but to be honest, we enjoyed snorkeling more in other areas – namely, Napili Bay, where we had a wonderful solo encounter with a turtle.

There wasn’t much time for snorkeling – maybe 45 minutes – and as another reviewer mentioned, it did feel a bit like a race against the clock. For this reason, I also would not recommend purchasing the SNUBA option – it appeared to be a lot of money spent for little reward. Once we were back aboard, chips and salsa were given out. Incredibly, going into the water at Molokini cured my seasickness, but it returned immediately once we started sailing again, so while most people snacked, my head was hanging off the side of the boat.

Thankfully the crew noticed how badly I was doing, and I want to give a HUGE shout-out to Captain Katie, who advised me to sit all the way in the back near her to avoid a bumpy ride. I also had been drinking ginger ale but she said that sugar actually exacerbates seasickness and that water is better. Going below deck is also not advised. As much as I hated throwing up over the side of the boat, publicly, I didn’t want to make myself feel worse by using the toilet instead.

At some point a chicken lunch was served – but I could not bring myself to eat!

Our next stop was “Turtle Town” – upon arrival, a pod of spinner dolphins were hanging out in the water. Other tours, including kayakers, were in the water near them. We were encouraged to head into the water quickly if we hoped to see the dolphins close-up. They swam away, despite Eleni trying to herd our snorkeling group toward them.

We only saw one lonely turtle in Turtle Town, and sadly, snorkelers from another tour, who clearly hadn’t been instructed about keeping a respectful distance, were swimming directly after it, crowding it, etc. During our time snorkeling in that area, I think the highlight for me was seeing the weird lava formations in the ocean. Supposedly there are caves in that area and we saw scuba divers exploring the entrances to those.

Once we were called back to the boat, “adult beverages” and ice cream were served. I didn’t partake since I still was reeling with nausea, but the other guests seemed to enjoy it. There was very little wind, but Captain Katie shut off the engines, the crew raised the sails, and we tried to sail back to the harbor (but we were creeping very slowly).

Although I was nauseous for probably 80% of this tour (the other 20% was when I was in the water and feeling fine), I still had a wonderful experience and felt like I was in such good hands with the Trilogy crew. If I can get some stronger motion sickness medication in the future for another trip to Maui, I certainly would take another snorkeling tour with them! Mahalo, Trilogy!

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed January 19, 2020 via mobile

This NYE coastal cruise was okay but not worth the $250 per person at least for us. The primary reason was the deceptive pitch. We arrived at the boat right at 10 pm to check in just as the email stated. However, the email did not say they would start boarding sooner. Therefore by the time we checked in all the tables were taken. So we had to sit on a padded bench which meant we had no place to sit food, etc. They don't tell you that on the website. Also, the food is pitched on the website as if a superb chef prepares it on board. Also not the case. The food quality was okay at best. Drinks were okay but the stewards really needed to learn how to make them right for that price. Bottom line, not us and never again. We like the NYE cruises but will go with the cheaper one next time. At least then we will know what we are not getting with it. Buyer beware.

Date of experience: January 2020
TrilogyExcursions, Manager at Trilogy Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Aloha and mahalo for sharing your feedback with us. On behalf of the crew and corporate team, I'd like to offer our sincerest apologies for your less than stellar experience with us. As a proud family-owned company, we hope to deliver an exceptional experience to each and every guest, and we apologize if we missed the mark on your trip. While careful consideration is given to our choice of chef- prepared, plated appetizers and beverages served on board, we always welcome constructive feedback to ensure our tour offerings continue to meet the high standards of our Trilogy guests. Although seating is first-come first serve on many of our trips, it appears that our Captain was able to accommodate earlier boarding on this particular trip. We would love connect to gain additional insight from you on how we can further improve this specialty trip. We invite you to reach out to our management team directly at (808) 874-5649 so we can learn more from your experience. Mahalo!

Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

We did 2 trips with Trilogy - a day trip and an evening cruise.
The attention to detail, comfort and enjoyment was beyond compare. Great crews!!! They go above and beyond for you. We will definitely sail with them again

1  Thank ausivet