“Captain Steve & Crew Provided High-Class, Memorable Sunset Sail”
Review of Trilogy Excursions

Trilogy Excursions
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted #1 Sea Activity on Maui! Snorkeling, Sailing, Whale watches, Dinner Sails, Private charters, and most notably their "Discover Lana'i" excursion. Trilogy Excursions is a family-owned and operated sailing company established in 1973 by the Coon Family! They operate on both Maui and Lana'i and lead the industry in environmental stewardship, setting safety standards, and Hawaiian hospitality. They are committed to sustainable tourism and undergo an extensive certification process every two years to remain a certified eco-tour operator. They depart out of Ma'alaea Harbor, Lahaina Harbor, Ka'anapali Beach, and Manele Harbor (Lana'i).
Reviewed September 8, 2017

The sunset sail is one of our favorite things to do on Maui, especially as we near the end of our trip. It is a great way to reflect on our visit to the island and think about all the special family memories we have created during our stay. This was our first time on the Trilogy III, a spotlessly clean, gorgeous new sailboat, but it will definitely not be our last. We were welcomed by a very friendly crew member, Brittany, who checked us in and got us on board safely. The entire staff was wonderful. They got the food and drinks rolling shortly after departure. Food consisted of cold appetizers, like shrimp cocktail and spring rolls, as well as hot appetizers, such as Kahlua pork sliders and a Teriyaki-type chicken skewer. Dessert, which was served closer to the end of the sail, was chocolate-dipped strawberries and pineapple. Drinks were top-shelf and were delicious. Captain Steve did a great job preparing passengers for wind, etc., and keeping everyone safe. The whole crew was top-notch, beyond attentive, allowing you sit back and relax during the sail back into shore. They were even generous enough to offer us a group photo of the crew at the end of the trip. Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,757)
All reviews
in 223 reviews
"molokini trip"
in 73 reviews

Reviewed September 8, 2017 via mobile

I went on the sail to Lanai tour and it was the most amazing experience! The crew took great care of us, and we felt safe and adventurous the whole time. The snorkeling was the best I have experienced in all my trips to Hawaii. We saw beautiful fish, healthy coral, and all sorts of marine critters. We even saw a pod of spinner dolphins on the way out! While we were snorkeling, one of the crew was out in the water with us on a surfboard in case we needed help or guidance which I thought was a nice touch. We also went on the driven tour of the island which had interesting and surprising history and our tour guide, Moana, had an amazing spirit. The food was tasty, the views were killer, and Josh (Island Dream Productions) the photographer got incredible pictures of my mom and I. I'd highly recommend this tour, and get the extra photos!!! Well worth every penny. Every aspect of this trip was amazing and well planned. If you want the experience of a lifetime, go on a Trilogy tour.

1  Thank Tessa M
Reviewed September 7, 2017

Captain Turtle, Jedi Todd, Raquel and Tyler were all amazing, the staff had remembered our names by the end of the trip. On the way to Lanai Turtle stopped for us to see a pod of Spinner Dolphins. Once we got to Lanai my wife and I did the Snuba adventure and my wife was worried about going under water and Todd was very accommodating and helped coach her. After the Snuba we snorkeled and Raquel showed us a rare lizard fish. On the way back to Tyler was telling us about great local places that we need to check out, we ended stopping to get Poke on the way home and it was delicious.

We want to plan another trip out here for the Whales in January, we will make sure we get Turtle and his crew.

1  Thank Jeremy S
Reviewed September 7, 2017 via mobile

We went on the 6:30am charter, they left right on time which I love seeing as we had to get there so early. The crew was fantastic throughout the entire day making sure we had everything we needed. The food was good for both breakfast and lunch. One of the people I was with was celiac and they were very good about making sure she was taken care of the entire time, they provided great alternatives for her. The snorkeling was ok ,not the best I've ever done but ok. The nice part about it was the fact that it was just our boat in the water, there is nothing worse then having a tone of boats all unload to snorkel at once. The ride back to Maui was great we saw two different types of dolphins and had some great cocktails. I would defiantly recommend this trip it was the highlight of our trip so far. Again thanks to the staff you guys were great and made the trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 7, 2017 via mobile

I wish on the website it would say how many were expected on the boat. Had I known there were going to be so many people, I would have found something a little smaller. There were probably 30 - 40 people, which meant some people had to sit below deck, or on the benches in the back, which I imagine would be hard to eat off of. Snorkeling was so crowded by the boat I kept accidentally kicking people. One of the snorkeling sites had such a limited area you were allowed to explore, you couldn't really move around without running into everyone else.

The snorkel sites were okay, although I have been to way better ones for far less money.

On the website it states "Free wetsuit tops for everyone on board", but that is not true. They have UVB/UVA shirts for sale, but nothing for you to use for the day for free. That should really be taken down from the website, as I left mine at the hotel since one was going to be provided.

The crew were all very nice and the boat ride was fine. The food was fine too, but I wish they had regular sized cups for water. I had to get up to get my own drinks as booze and coffee were the only things brought out and multiple trips on an unsteady boat just for water was sort of irritating.

2  Thank A. J
TrilogyExcursions, Manager at Trilogy Excursions, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

Aloha A.J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We hear your concerns and are discussing each of your points and ways to better accommodate future guests on our 7 am Molokini tour. We would, however, like to address a couple of your concerns publicly. The boat for your tour is TRILOGY V, a 54' sloop rigged sailing catamaran that is Coast Guard rated to take up to 67 guests. Our standard for years was to book 50 guests on this tour and boat. The comfort of our guests is a priority and after re-examining the capacity/comfort we lowered the number of guests to 40. We would like to put this into perspective for those not familiar with tours on Maui. Other companies fill power catamarans with up to 150 guests and drop them to snorkel in Molokini. Given the nature of the crescent-shaped crater, all 150 guests are in a very concentrated area. Our 7 am tour is one of the first boats to Molokini meaning there are very few other companies at the same time. We are sorry that you were disappointed by the number of guests but feel very confident that our guest count of 40 has been very comfortable for many of the people who have come out with us.

We do have free wetsuit tops on our boats. There have been times in the warmer summer weather when the Captain or Crew have not outright offered wetsuit tops. We will remind everyone going forward to mention the wetsuit tops regardless of the time of year. If you did not feel comfortable asking a Crew member for one, we would love to hear more details in a private message. Yes, we do sell rash guards for sun protection, but they are different than the wetsuit tops available to use for free for warmth.

We would like to reiterate that we appreciate your feedback and will be discussing all points here at our next Captain's Meeting.

Mahalo Nui Loa,