“Could not have been better!”
Review of Trilogy Excursions

Trilogy Excursions
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted #1 Sea Activity on Maui! Snorkeling, Sailing, Whale watches, Dinner Sails, Private charters, and most notably their "Discover Lana'i" excursion. Trilogy Excursions is a family-owned and operated sailing company established in 1973 by the Coon Family! They operate on both Maui and Lana'i and lead the industry in environmental stewardship, setting safety standards, and Hawaiian hospitality. They are committed to sustainable tourism and undergo an extensive certification process every two years to remain a certified eco-tour operator. They depart out of Ma'alaea Harbor, Lahaina Harbor, Ka'anapali Beach, and Manele Harbor (Lana'i).
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I went on the 'Discove Molokini' trip on Oct 15, 2013 with Captain Yoshi and his crew. It was an amazing day. The crew members were funny, friendly, informative, accommodating, and very attentive to all of our needs. They served us warm cinnamon rolls with fruit and our choice of beverage on the way to Molokini and a warm lunch after the two hr snorkeling excursion. They continually checked with us to see if there was anything we needed or if we had any questions. Capt Yoshi allowed those who wanted to experience driving the sail boat on the way back (which my husband enjoyed). We were not able to snorkel with the turtles because the conditions were not safe for us to do so, but the crew did stop at the site of the turtles and we were able to see many of them swimming around in that area. We even saw a blue marlin, which the crew said was a rare site on one of these trips. Because my Dad was an avid fisherman and loved the water, It warmed my heart to see Capt Yoshi always with a huge smile on his face as he drove the catamaran. This was one of the highlights of our Maui vacation and if we ever get a chance to return to Maui, we will certainly book another excursion with Trilogy.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,460)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"crew members"
in 233 reviews

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Let me start by saying I have a coworker who has taken Trilogy excursions numerous times. When telling me about his trips he said he got goosebumps just thinking about it. So now maybe you'll understand why I'd hoped for so much. First off we took the 10am discover Lanai trip. The 6am was booked and besides we were staying in Kihei and wanted t sleep in a little. At 10am we boarded a beautiful catamaran. The crew were all very attentive and friendly they joked with the guests and seemed genuinely friendly. The cinnamon rolls were tasty and the fresh fruit was great as well. Our trip started off very calm and there was very little wind. It felt great to sit on this beautiful boat in this beautiful ocean, and then the family with one very loud boy and a crying baby showed up. But I'll get to that a little later. The ride over to the island seemed to take forever. I think mostly because of the anticipation to get in the water and snorkel! Eventually though we reach the island and had the option to walk to the beach or be shuttled. We decided to shuttle because it was warm. Once we got to the beach there was a gentleman wetting down the blistering sand to get us out to the water. I thought that was pretty nice. And my husband appreciated seeing some topless girl sunbathing...and have a half conversation with one of the crew! Haha! It was somewhat odd but hey...no judgment! Haha! Anyway it was somewhat disappointing to see the chairs that were offered, white everyday cheap chairs, that sit you straight up. Who wants to sit like that on the beach? I just expected a little more. We took beach mats instead but we really ended up in the shade at two park benches. Then we got fitted for our snorkel gear. I have to say I was very pleased with my mask. My husband and I had rented some gear from Boss Frog for the week and they went over the same things to get a good fit on your mask. I had no problem with my mask but once in the water my husband noticed that his snorkel was leaking. However one of the crew on a surfboard just changed snorkels with him and then it was all good. We really appreciated that. The snorkeling was awesome. No question. We snorkeled out quite far and saw a lot of fish. Fish, fish everywhere. And it was so relaxing having so much area to cover for snorkeling! After snorkeling we rinsed off and walked back for the dinner. Er...lunch? Lunch/dinner was a green salad with a blue cheese vinagarette that was really good, a bread roll, peas, bbqd chicken, and a veggie with noodle stir fry. The food was good and they made sure to keep everyone full. I didn't feel rushed during dinner but after a long hot day in the sun and nearly two hours of snorkeling (we opted out of the van tour) we were ready to get home. The boat ride back was frustrating. There was a very large family with a small boy and a baby. My husband kept getting shoved by one of the teenage/early 20 something daughter on the way over so we weren't excited to sit by them on the way back. When we stared back to lahaina at first the ride was more enjoyable, they gave us ice cream and it was a bit choppy so the waves were fun, also we got complimentary alcoholic beverage but, then we stopped to take out the sail for the boat. This is when it got bad. It seemed like we were stopped for forty five minutes. The family with the kid is letting him running around, the family is yelling at one another and taking non stop photos. Seriously, we wanted nothing more than to be off the boat. I understand you could encounter people like that wherever you go but it was really hard to relax and have a good time with all the chaos this family was creating. Maybe I should have had that complimentary Mai tai! By the time we got back to harbor all the fun we did have seemed to be clouded by the rides over and back. In the end I felt like even though the crew was awesome and the snorkeling was great, I could have saved us $240 by just buying a ferry ticket, grabbing our own gear that was every bit as good as theirs, and popping the cooler with some snacks. Yeah I wouldn't have gotten to ride on their pretty boat but I'd also had the ability to get there and get back without the drama. I just honestly didn't feel like any of it was worth the $400 we spent. I don't think we will go again. Sorry. Like I said, I really wanted to love it.

4  Thank Sara I
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Can't say enough about what a wonderful company Trilogy is. They are celebrating being in business this month for 40 years! And taking this tour with them shows exactly why they are still in business and so very popular. From beginning to end nothing but a class act! Our Captains, Brian,Seth and Casey and crew member Byron were outstanding! They made sure we were all comfortable, well fed, and their knowledge of Maui and the surrounding area and islands were impressive. From the coffee, juices, water and delicious cinnabuns served along with trays of a variety of fresh fruits we started out for a beautiful all day tour. And they thought of everything. Although we would be served a fantastic lunch later in the afternoon on Lanai, because our lunch would be a few hours away, before we got to Lanai we were served delicious wraps of chicken salad, turkey, tuna and vegitarian. Diet coke, and ginder ale as well. So we arrived into Lanai, quite content and excited for the fun day of beach activities that were made available to us. The beautiful sandy beach we were taken to was simply breath taking. Dolphins were right off shore showing off for us. They were there the whole time we were able to snorkel or snuba. Water was crisp, clean, and on a bright and sunny day, very refreshing! We were also taken on an island tour of Lanai city. While on the beach they provided us with tasty pineapple salsa and chips and juice and water. Our guide Mapuana did an excellent job of providing us with the history of this tiny town. Very knowledge-able and what a sweet lady! After our tour, she took us back to the Pavillion on the Beach that our Captains and crew member had set up for us to have our BBQ lunch. Delicious teriyaki chicken that has been marinated overnight, a mixed salad and dinner roll, peas, and some of the best noodles cooked right there in a huge wok for our pleasure. Iced tea and water also. And no paper plates, we ate with real silverware, and melanite dishware. The crew even changed into a formal aloha shirt outfit to serve all of us as we walked in. After our awesome lunch, we rested on the beautiful grassy area right there at the harbor, and got ready to head back to Maui. We were served chocolate sundays, and an array of alcohlic beverages. First round was on the crew. They brought us back to Lahaina Harbor safe and sound, very content with our fabulous tour, and very full from a day of great eating. Mahalo to the staff and management of Trilogy Tours for the exceptional service! Definitely a trip I would highly recommend. Worth every penny! A must do tour!

1  Thank Lila K
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Our group of 6 fully enjoyed our day with Capt Brian, Capt Casey and Thomas! The trip over and back to lana'i was smooth, I loved watching the crew interact with everyone and were also a wealth of knowledge! These guys love what they do and it shows! Trilogy is our first choice for excursions, they cover every detail so you can relax and enjoy your vacation. Thanks again guys!!