“Two hours of bliss with a sunset ending”
Review of Trilogy Excursions

Trilogy Excursions
More attraction details
Owner description: Voted #1 Sea Activity on Maui! Snorkeling, Sailing, Whale watches, Dinner Sails, Private charters, and most notably their "Discover Lana'i" excursion. Trilogy Excursions is a family-owned and operated sailing company established in 1973 by the Coon Family! They operate on both Maui and Lana'i and lead the industry in environmental stewardship, setting safety standards, and Hawaiian hospitality. They are committed to sustainable tourism and undergo an extensive certification process every two years to remain a certified eco-tour operator. They depart out of Ma'alaea Harbor, Lahaina Harbor, Ka'anapali Beach, and Manele Harbor (Lana'i).
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I took this Sunset Cruise on the first day in from the mainland. I thought it may be a bad idea at first. My first water adventure in the islands a few years back left me seasick and not wanting to do any boating activities again. As this was with my family I had to do it again. Here are the notes I think that will help:
- What to wear -- you can wear nice clothes however know that you may get wet if you sit on the edges of the boat once you are out on the ocean with the sails unfurled and the boat going quite fast. Some people wore nice tops and shorts -- others like me wore my board shorts and a tank top. You will need to board the boat from the beach which means you are going to get wet on your legs and depending on the waves a little more. Bring a light jacket if you get cold easily and especially if you get wet. You can leave a small bag below deck to keep stuff dry.
- Pictures -- same rules apply for what to wear when it comes to getting wet. You could potentially get wet and the salt water is no friend to photo gear. Bring a camera and a ziplock bag. You will have plenty of time to take pictures of the sunset on the boat as the latter part of the cruise will slow down and/or stop to watch the sunset. There is some rocking so make sure to use the camera strap. Using your phone for pictures is fine -- same rules apply -- however hold tight to that phone.
- Sea sickness -- the captain on this trip basically told us -- you may get sea sick but here is the ultimate tip the captain gave that helped me (I am prone to get dizzy on the sea). Look at the horizon at all times. The boat may be rocking and focusing on the ship, the mast or any of the pieces that are not stationary will potentially cause your brain to also "rock out". If you focus on something solid (the sky, land around you) this will help. This was the first time I was able to enjoy myself.
- Food on this particular trip -- apps. The crew does apps and serves you drinks. The food to me was worth a meal. I was still slightly hungry afterwards but then again I did not eat alot while on board. I was afraid of giving back to the sea okay? The crew served drinks -- mai tais and some other alcoholic beverage that was good. I saw a good few drinks spilled on the boat. The crew was not worried about it as the splashing and spray of the sea took care of any refreshments that found the deck.

Would I do this again -- yep I would. Maybe not on the first day but I would do this again with my family. The boat starts off on the motor but once it gets deep enough the crew opens up the sails and the motor is shut off. Nice speed to cut through the water. I saw a few people get more than wet due to the waves hitting at the right time. The Jersey Shore person (think Snookie and JWoww dressed person) had a nice shirt on that got wet. I don't think her husband (or any other male for that part) minded. Don't forget to tip the crew --they were worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,454)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"crew members"
in 233 reviews

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This past week my wife and I took the Trilogy snorkel trip out to Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. I must say the Trilogy crew is first rate and the trip was very enjoyable. Our first stop at Molokini Crater delivered the bluest and clearest ocean water I have ever seen. Many swimming pools aren't this clear. This excursion offered SNUBA which, at the last minute, I signed on to do. My wife opted to snorkel. I have never done the SNUBA before and really enjoyed the first time experience. You are tethered by a 20 ft oxygen line to a tank that is attached to a floating device on the surface. Best of all - you do not need to be certified, only a 15 minute orientation. After the crater, we moved to the area known as Turtle Town. Turtles were not that active that day but my wife and I (now I'm snorkeling) patiently positioned ourselves near a large coral rock and within a few minutes a turtle appeared, swam around us, and disappeared into a coral cave. That was a highlight of a lifetime!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I want to start this out with saying that this would have been a solid 5 star review for them, right up until the Turtle Town snorkel trip. I will start with why they dropped down to a 2, so you don't think it was lack of turtle viewing, which many people seem to blame the companies for. It is strictly based on how they handled the shark that came into the area. We have a picture, as proof, as I am posting it with this review.

We got into the water, which was very choppy, and yes, there were awesome turtles to see and some unicorn fish. The water is murkier than Molokini, and that is fine, it is a different location. I started back towards the boat, thinking I was going to just watch some of the fish that were swimming near the boat. I was about 40 feet from the boat in the back, and out of the corner out my eye, I see a very large shark swimming very close to me and I see it is a tiger shark. It was very close and it swam down a little deeper and was making a turn under the boat to come back towards me. As it went by me, it was close enough I could see the details in the lines on its body. I was now at the ladder and there was an older couple on each step but the man moved telling me to get out of the water there was a shark in the water with me and a big one. Well, HELLOOO I saw it!

I get my stuff off, very shaken, and as I come up, I think Eric might be the bearded guys name, says give me your gear, I am shaken, and say, there is a big shark down there. He flippantly said, "its a reef shark, they are harmless". Well, don't under estimate your customers Trilogy people, I KNOW what a black tip reef shark looks like and they don't scare me. I was looking for and hoping to see another one at Molokini . I KNOW what I saw was a tiger shark, It was huge and it was striped. The reef sharks have vivid colored fins, whether they are white or black NOT tiger striped.

I see my daughter-in-law has her camera out and is looking at it, now a few people come to look, but the crew is telling people we are exaggerating. THIS should really get them a ONE star right there. There were people in the water with this thing still, and as of this review, Hawaii is having a problem with tiger sharks and even shut a beach down just for seeing one while we were there.

We go to where the captain is making plates below, and show him the picture and he glances at it and laughs, "yeah yeah that is a black tip reef shark, ladies."
OH really, if you really believe that, take a course on shark identification. Some of us know our sharks despite being a tourist on your boat.

So, he asks was it as big as us, we both say "yes" at the same time and he asks where we saw it last. I tell him under the boat, and he says again, "ladies it is a reef shark, they rarely hurt people."

Now, my daughter in law goes back down to use the restrooms and hears them laughing at us, saying we panicked. That is so unprofessional, so as she is telling me that, I hear a woman ask them if we saw a shark and Eric said we exaggerated and it was a tiny reef shark. REALLY? Then the silly teenage boy they have working the boat was telling people the same thing, so now other people are basically rolling there eyes at us.

Funny, I was swimming, here is the head, body, body body, wait more body? WTF this thing is HUGE... yep, tiny reef shark driving remote control tiger shark around to scare the hysterical women.

The bottom line here is, I think if a tiger was reported at turtle town, they may stop all the boats from dumping the hundreds of snorkelers out there for a day or two. Which is money to these boats.

Up to this point, they were delivering on taking you out and even fulfilling the cheesy tourist script to make people laugh. They served the food, they took you out, what more could you ask for, right? Well, how about taking it serious that there is a tiger shark under your boat with people in the water, instead of walking around the boat laughing at your customers.

27  Thank Travelnkitty
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our 4th trip on the Trilogy and we've enjoyed every one. This time we skipped the van tour of the island and relaxed on the beach all day. If its your first trip, I would recommend the van tour, you really get to learn a lot about the island. The crew was great (I know you're reading this because you said you check out the comments!) and the food was fantastic. The sail back was fabulous. Highly recommend to anyone going to Maui, in fact I've sent a few people and they've all thanked me. The only disappointing part of the trip was there were no 'giveaways' this time. I've been on this before and they've asked if anyone has sailed with them and they got free t-shirts. The last time we went we got a free trilogy book but nothing this time :( Oh well its still our perfect day trip.