“Multiple trips with them...still one of my favorite Maui activities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scotch Mist Sailing Charters

Scotch Mist Sailing Charters
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Multiple trips with them...still one of my favorite Maui activities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

There are a bazillion boating/sailing options on Maui - the Scotch Mist is one of the very best, in my opinion.

The crew is small, very nice, and incredibly interesting...and the sailboat itself is a perfect size. If I remember correctly, their maximum passenger capacity is 16/17 people - and we've sailed at times with about 12 without feeling crowded. For their pricing, you get an incredible tour of the waters off Maui, as well as as much beer/wine/champagne as you can drink. Keep in mind that it's not the fanciest labels of beverages out there, but you're not paying any extra for it. One of the best values for your time/money. The crew takes good care of you as well.

My hubby was able to help raise the sail on a couple of our trips - always a cool memory, especially if sailing is new to you!!

Best time to sail with these guys? Whale season. November thru April there is NO better way to get up close and personal with the humpbacks. No engine noise - flying through the water - the humpbacks aren't as threatened by the sailboats compared to larger, noisy boats (and we've taken a few of those as well on different trips). Last year we were told to "hang on tight", as we had a competition pod of male humpbacks headed right for us. Incredible!!!

As far as family friendly goes - they do have seating in the back for younger kiddos. We have 3 kids, who on our last trip were 7, 5, and 3 - we haven't brought them on this sailboat yet because I think they'd freak out (and I love this sailboat so much I didn't want to ruin my enjoyment!). There are no true side walls on the front (just some roping and metal railings to hold) - and when you're truly sailing at times, you're tipped over to the side. When they're older (and not so scaredy-cat-ish), we'll definitely bring them out.

We, along with many family and friends, have now sailed with the Scotch Mist many times and it has become a 'Must-Do' when we're back on Maui.

Visited April 2014

Bartlett, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

What an amazing experience! We did a sunset sail in July 2014 and it was really one of the highlights of our trip. The captain and his crew were friendly, knowledgeable and made sure everyone was having a great time. It was a fun, casual evening watching an amazing sunset in the waters off Lahania. We really couldn't have asked for more! Would definitely recommend this to anyone traveling to the area.

Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Misled & Dissatisfied”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

One of the reservationists told us to get together at least 6 people, and she would make it so that we could have the boat to ourselves, since we were celebrating a special occasion. She said in the event we could only get 4 people together, I could just buy a couple extra tickets to make up the difference, as 6 tickets would ensure that we would get the boat to ourselves. We thought that was a great deal, and we even saw reviews online that said similar things.

Well, that ended up being a lie. We hustled and got together a group of 8 only to find out when we checked in on the day of the cruise that 2 more random people would be joining us. And, our group had absolutely nothing in common with the 2 add ons, and they were not at all the type of people we would ever want to share tight quarters with on a sailboat. If we had known that the Scotch Mist would do that to us from the get go, we wouldn't have booked the charter trip on that date in the first place, or we would have just waited to schedule a private charter.

The captain tried to make up for the extremely poor handling of this situation by providing us with extra alcohol on the trip. The staff kept making a big deal about how they don't normally serve champagne, but they were going to give us complimentary champagne. Yeah. That's the least they could have done in my mind.

I'll give the Scotch Mist crew 1 star for effort in trying to make it up to us with alcohol, but overall, the trip and experience was ruined for me as soon as I found out that I had been lied to and there was basically no effort made to make things right other than to try and get us liquored up. They should have just told the 2 add ons that the sail was already booked, and they could go on a later cruise. That would have been the right and respectable thing to do. Instead, they pushed the 2 add ons onto our reservation. Really bad business and handling of this situation, Scotch Mist.

1 Thank Gigi M
St. Louis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Had a Wonderful Time!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

We had a great time sailing with Gene and the crew last night. We took the champagne sunset dinner cruise for 2 hours and it was very beautiful and relaxing. We got very lucky that only our family of 6 was signed up for the cruise so it was effectively our own private charter. I highly recommend this trip. Compared to many other attractions on Maui, it is a very good deal.

Fountain Hills, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Cancelled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We booked on Thursday for a Sunday morning snorkel sail. We checked our e-mail late Saturday evening to it was cancelled. Had to scramble to find an alternative. At that point we were not very happy. We did get lucky and our alternative turned out great.