“It's an option”

Ranked #29 of 278 Restaurants in Lahaina
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This place is a good option for breakfast and lunch if staying in the Kapalua area. This place offers take out options and also a more economical option without the need to drive far. They also have a market where they sell groceries and some toiletries and souvenirs. It is a viable option for a regular meal nothing over the top.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Food very average would not return. Had deli sandwiches and fries greasy and soggy fries. Was recommended in Lonely Planet

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Chocolate cake is a must try... There is also a surprising amount of other groceries available if you are staying nearby and just need a quick pickup of something you forgot to get a a bigger grocer.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were hungry after snorkeling Kapalua Bay and hiking the Coastal Trail. And one of our Maui traditions is lunch at the Honolua Store. We like the sweet atmosphere, eating on the wrap-around porch with locals and tourists together in a historic plantation store, with views of the golf course and the picturesque little church.

You do need to know what to order here, though. They have things like hot dogs and premade slices of pizza that look pretty much like gas station fare. But they also have hot deli type foods that look good, though we haven't tried them.

We have had good luck with the fish, usually mahimahi. My husband likes the fish and chips, but I think the fries are marginal, clearly prefrozen curly fries, not very crispy. The fish is very good, though, and he likes the fries. He also likes the grilled fish sandwich and I do too.

However… I happen to know the best, super-secret off-menu item to order. (wink) I first had it as a chalkboard special, but they will make it for you any time if you ask. It is furikake coated mahi mahi with stir fried fresh upcountry vegtables, so delicious with some of their local garlic chili water splashed on! The veggies are Maui onion, sweet bell peppers and summer squash. It comes with rice too, you have the choice of white, brown or fried. Since I prefer to reserve my carb consumption for Roselani’s, Ululani’s and Maui Potato Chips, I ask for no rice and they throw in more of the yummy vegetables. Score!

So, check the chalkboard for specials. You might also ask them if there are any other unlisted specials, or just ask for the furikake fish and stir fried veggies. It takes a while for the food, but we go over to the store, browse around and pick up a few items, and also order very good iced tea (black or green) from the coffee bar. I think you will be served with aloha if you are not in a rush and you enjoy Honolua Store for the nice Maui tradition that it is.

1  Thank Teri S
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Attempted to eat here, but after waiting 24 minutes for our food to be prepared (2 sandwiches) we gave up & left. I might add that those who ordered behind us (about 6 others) ordered & were served. No explanation, no acknowledgment, just bad service & pushes 'aloha time' to a whole level. Wont be back.