“Good snorkel spots” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaanapali Ocean Adventures

Kaanapali Ocean Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: ECO-FRIENDLY! Our purpose built snorkeling and tours boat 'Sanity' is fast, dry and comfortable. We offer both half and full day trips with equipment fully supplied. On our tours you can expect to see marine life as pristine as it has been for thousands of years. We also offer extreme fun with our Jetboat 'Insane'. Be prepared to get wet with 360 spins, dead-stops, sharp turns and a whole lot more! For those of you who might be concerned that this will disturb the native marine life, there's no need to worry - our jet boat is environmentally friendly too. It is powered by water and has a flat bottom with no propellers, shafts, rudders or anything else that could harm marine life in any way. 48 hours’ notice is required for cancellations, otherwise a fee will be charged to your credit card for no shows
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Toledo, Ohio
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Good snorkel spots”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Overall a good enough trip. We got to snorkel near the Five Sisters on our daylong trip round the back of Lanai, something I've never done. The trip leaves from near the Westin via a zodiac ride from the beach to the boat. The boat was not all the way full so there was plenty of space much of which is shaded. The boat had two ladders for easy in and out of the water. There was ample food and soft drinks.
This is a new company and the crew is still developing. The captain needs to hone his people skills a bit. Do things like turn the music down when addressing a group. Also tips on how to best snorkel an area seemed to be given as an afterthought and after some of us were already in the water.

Visited February 2014

Huntington Beach, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Ideal small group whale watching”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Dan and Patrick did a great job on this very enlightening whale watch. Informative, educational and very enjoyable. Best of all no screaming children running all over the boat as in many of the other Lahaina Whale watches. Their inflatable boat is set up so everyone can see perfectly. We even were able to listen to the numerous whales who came in close for a "Maui Mugging". Don't leave Lahaina without taking a trip with Kaanapali Ocean Adventures.

Visited January 2014
Port Townsend, Washington
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Trip around lania great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Wonderful snorkel trip, nice boat, good food. Crew and captain a bit slow to explain snorkeling options Too much smoking, chumming of fish. Ugh. Never looked for the dolphins.

Visited February 2014
Duncan, BC
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Excellent Day in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

The day we picked was rough and so we had a long boat ride to find clear and calmer waters. Dan was very particular about finding us the perfect clear spot with lots of fish. On the way there we did whale watching which was great. He always stopped so we could watch the whale show. Dan gave us lots of information about the area and showed us the interesting sights around Lanii island. Dan's daughter gave me help with my mask as it was leaking because my hair was caught in it, she was nice and helpful. My daughter and I were always out the longest but Dan did not rush us at all. As we started late we did not get back till four o'clock so we still had a full day.
All in all this was a very good trip. The snorkelling was excellent and my daughter even saw a white tipped reef shark. Dan's helper showed her where it was. We did see a huge variety of fish and beautiful coral reefs. I used my own equipment so cannot comment on that. I would highly recommend this trip.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank chilkoDuncan
Hudson, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Full day snorkel trip around Lana'i”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We had a great day on the Lanai snorkel trip. We debated for a long time about whether to do the full day or the half day. We ended up on the full day and felt grateful that was what we ended up with. We ended up booking after advice from Lori at Tom Barefoot's tours. She was great to chat with and get perspective from. The trip around the entire island was very scenic and the snorkel spots were very pristine, isolated, and just plain amazing. We saw lots of great fishes and the underwater topography contained lots of arches, caves, and interesting corals to see.

We chose this boat over the rafting adventure around Lana'i due to the available bathroom and based on the thought that the raft could end up feeling like a long rough ride. We were very happy that we ended up on this boat, because we were very comfortable the entire time. The trip was really laid back. The service was very much help yourself sort of style. That worked okay for us. I could see if you were a beginner snorkeller though that this might not be the best boat for you. You might prefer a little more hand holding and guidance with the snorkelling. Maybe Captain Dan and crew would be more helpful if needed, but we got the impression with the "if you want a floaty they are up here" comment that most beginners who are tentative in the water would probably prefer a little extra guidance and supervision. Since we were comfortable in the water, that didn't really put us off any. I loved that at each snorkel spot, they didn't really restrict where we could go. I would certainly be sure to ask for advice on where might be best to go based on your skills. I also loved that there was no call back to the boat at any spot. Pretty much you stayed out as long as you wanted, and it just seemed pretty natural for most people to come back around the same time. This is very awesome compared to the restrictiveness on some Molokini snorkel tours.

We wished we brought our own gear. The snorkel fins were short and I would've preferred a bit more option there. The masks and snorkels were good, but waiting for the gear to get distributed seemed a bit unorganized. The food was good after being in the water. All the non-alcoholic beverages you wanted throughout the day. Make your own sandwiches and chips for lunch. I would've loved a cookie to end it off, but didn't see any available.

All in all the scenery and location sells itself. Captain Dan was super laid back and I really liked that. He wasn't all up in your business and pretty much let you just roam and make the boat your own while aboard. It is an expensive tour, but what tour in Maui isn't? It was a full day adventure, and felt worth the price. I also enjoyed that it didn't require us to get out of bed at a ridiculous hour of the day, like a Molokini tour we had taken in the past. We were early enough to get all day free parking at the beach, which was nice because we got to hang out a bit longer in the Ka'anapali Beach area.

I would recommend this tour to anyone who enjoys snorkeling, a cool boat trip, and being out for a full day of fun. I hope if you take the tour, you enjoy yourself as much as we did!

Visited December 2013