“Best location in lahaina”

and 1 more site!
The Tiki Beach Hostel
Ranked #32 of 43 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
“Best location in lahaina”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed there for a week and was going to stay at another hostel up the road which was further out of the way and far more cramped. But tiki is awesome for location and facility. They have an outside shower which i used every chance i had. There were only 4 beds to the girls room so it wasnt over crowded. The back patio and garden were great after a day at the beach which is less than a 5 min walk. I had a day i wanted to stay outta the sun. I relaxed back there. Napped and hung out with chris. Chis is awesome. Hes social and kind. Loves to meet people, is a good time and easy friend to make. The house was kept up pretty clean. I hated the carpet they put in the bathroom. Kinda nasty with all the foot traffic... Kimo who ran the place was a cool guy too. I was a solo woman traveller. Never felt uneasy. But i did keep to myself more than the average person.
There is a church and school behind the property so be aware you hear little kids playing all day. Better than traffic which is what i hear at home.
One complaint! The office is in the garage which is attached to the ladies room. I was rudely woken at 6 am by kimos boss talking business on the phone who ignored my tapping on the window as a nice... Shut up! But otherwise awesome home n good people.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Lingardia

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The place is scary. It's a total bummer. I didn't feel safe. The actions and behavior of the staff and Manager made things even worse. It was creeepy. This was possibly the wierdest hostel I have ever stayed at - not a good wierd. I had planned to stay longer but I left as soon as I could. I was just glad to get away to someplace else where I would feel comfortable. If you are an alcoholic or a pot addict, it's the place for you.

4 Thank TravellerboyUSA
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stayed in hundreds of hostels all over the world and I can easily say Tiki Hale is by far my favorite hostel the world over.
It's clean, right on the beach, has a GREAT staff (Chris is an amazing host) that creates a very social atmosphere. I can't wait until my next visit.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I travelled to Maui myself and was honestly a bit nervous about being lonely on this romantic island. But it turned out to be one of the best trips I've ever done. I met some great people from around the world also solo traveling and staying at the Tiki Hale. The staff were super sweet. Rooms, bed and bathroom were clean and they have a cute backyard where we would all meet in the evenings to exchange stories about our day's adventure, play music and one evening BBQ. The hostel is in an ideal location with a beginner's surfing beach right behind it and plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was taken back by how wonderful the up keeping of the hotel is, when you think of a hostel you assume its going to be average but it was a beautiful house, sick location and the people Kimo,Andy and Chris were the best hosts you could ask for, I felt at home here, everyone shared and enjoyed themselves.I recommend this place to anyone and everyone xoxox jumpinjax

Lucerne, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed 8 nights on a family business trip. Came alone and it was perfect for me. Was able to access all of the places I needed to go. Tike Hale means "tike house" and there are many in the backyard. When I wanted to relax, the beach was a few steps away and the full kitchen was a wonderful thing to have available. Dorm style accommodations with 2 bunk beds in each of 2 rooms. Only 8 guests in the house. Back yard is very nice and they are adding a deck out back. Met people from Argentina, Alaska, Canada so the conversation was stimulating. At $49 a night, it was unbeatable in price and location for my needs. Would use it again in a similar situation.

Room Tip: As I am over 60, the lower bunk was a necessity.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

So you turn up to a bungalow in a private close with no signs by the road or on the property i asked a fella getting in his car in the close who said thats it someones tax dodge strange i thought
Anyhow i go in with a pre booked week ahead there on this side of the island the fella then knows nothing about my booking but says i can stay for the one night only if i pay up 49$ so i did he sat there infront of 2 travelling girls talking a load of rubbish trying to sweet talk them, the next night i had to pay another 49$ i tried to get my deposit back but he wasnt coughing up christmas is chocabloka here i had a cockroach crawl over me in bed which scared the life out of me
Fair doos it 50m from a flat beach which he said was good for surfing snorkling etcthats wrong its to shallow over the wide rocky beach and no waves over 2-3' all week i found out they own all three of the towns hostels which are very badly run i visited the othere two ones used my migrant workers and has cats dogs and pigs roaming the bungalow the last resort was that bad i would rather kip on the beach
Anyhow i moved out of tiki as i was told it was prebooked for the rest of the week i popped in late one evening to meet one of the girls five doorm beds were still free and again in the morning i wasnt a happy chappy they are fitting tiny cctv cameras in all the rooms the girls told me later that week which they didnt like the thought of being watched by the fella looking after it for the owners
Forget these local dirty 44-52$ per doorm bed hostels treat yourself to a 100$ room if theres 2 or more of you at makai inn or one of the other B&Bs as you will get your own kitchen bathroom and space.

• Stayed December 2013