“Great food, wonderful view”

Koa's Seaside Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Koa's Seaside Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kaanapali Shores Pl.
Transit: Papalau Street (bus stop)
Description: Koa’s Seaside Grill is soon going to be called Koa 156º. The outstanding oceanfront view is coupled with an eclectic and delightful new menu that offers fresh local seafood as well as the finest meats and creative vegetarian options, using Hawai’i’s unique ingredients to create dishes that are not only tasteful but also beautifully presented.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Everything was well prepared. The crab cakes are fantastic. First time was for lunch returned a few days later for dinner.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

we love Koa's. it's our new favorite in Lahaina Town. in the past two weeks, we have eaten here numerous times: for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
the staff is great and very accommodating. on the few occasions they did not fulfill a special request perfectly, not only did they replace the item - correctly - but they also discounted the bill.
the food is obviously cooked to order, so it does require a wait to be served. it is worth the wait. everything we have had has been absolutely delicious.
our servers have also been personable, attentive, and extremely pleasant.
i understand that Koa's is owned by the same people who are responsible for the incredibly popular Gazebo Restaurant. their experience shows.
everything has been well-considered: from a beautifully designed, thoughtfully spaced, comfortable first and second floor to nice bathrooms to plenty of umbrellas for cover on the second floor deck. the menu is likewise well-planned.
we are sure that Koa's will be a great success and we recommend it highly!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had several restaurants from which to choose the day we ate here; it is right in the heart of the tourist area. The menu looked good so we selected Koa's. Our waiter (who also seemed to be the bartender) had a "could care less" attitude. The views were wonderful but near sunset the sun is so low in the sky, they pull bamboo shades so it takes away much of the view. Our food was less than spectacular, I would call it average at best. I had fish and my husband had the prime rib special, both were not great. The house wine was disgusting, FYI. Why would a seemingly nice restaurant serve such a horrible house wine? With the food and beverage mediocre and the waiter poor, I have to give this an extremely average rating and I would recommend going elsewhere. We should have taken the suggestion to go to Kimo's, but we opted for the Koa's menu instead and sorry we did. Aloha!

Koasgrill, General Manager at Koa's Seaside Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Aloha, first let me apologize for your experience. We guarantee all of our product. I will gladly refund your check, or invite you back to let us make it up to you. Please let me know.
I thank you for the critique of our restaurant.
All comments good or bad will only make us get better.
Buff Weaver

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were set on grabbing dinner at Lahaina but we didn't have a set place to go. We figured we will just decide while walking around. We looked at a couple of other places, but Koa's was the only restaurant that we looked at whose menu had something we wanted.

We walked in and our table was on the ground floor, overlooking the sunset. That view makes the experience infinitely better. Since if we pretended that there was a wall without windows preventing us from seeing that view, this would be a three star place at best.

Our server was also the bartender, so that in itself is a red flag. I cannot complain about her, since I know she was attempting to do her best. It is more of a reflection on the management that the bartended had to serve at least 3 or maybe even four tables on top of her bartending duties at around 5:30 pm where plenty of diners are ordering drinks.

All items were reasonably priced and the portions were generous. We had the steamed clam for appetizers, and it adequate. The fiance had a burger, and it was cooked well and satisfactory. I had the seafood pesto pasta, and it had plenty of seafood. However, the sauce was a little heavy for my taste. I was hoping for a purer pesto sauce, but what I got was a pesto sauce overloaded with cream.

When I go back to Lahaina soon, I will probably skip Koa's in that the food is just adequate, and there are plenty other restaurants with the same view. I guess that is my point, it is good but it's not special enough for us to return.

Aloha, I would like to apologize for your less than stellar experience. All comments good and bad make us a better restaurant. As for the bartender waiting tables, we let them do this because their bar only has 8 seats. It does not offer the great views that you had mentioned, and we want them to make some money. Not an excuse, just letting you know our process.
Please come in and let us make sure you have a great experience.
Buff Weaver

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The view from the top deck is OK. The food is tasty and a good sized portion. My husband had the fish tacos and raved about them. I had the pork tacos, and they were good. Too much for lunch, that didn't stop us!! The service was average. They first sat is in the blazing sun and I asked to be moved to shade.