“Good view, reasonable price”
Review of Koa 156°

Koa 156°
Reserve with OpenTable
Koa 156° is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 278 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kaanapali Shores Pl.
Transit: Papalau Street (bus stop)
Description: Koa’s Seaside Grill is now Koa 156º. The outstanding oceanfront view is coupled with an eclectic and delightful new menu that offers fresh local seafood as well as the finest meats and creative vegetarian options, using Hawai’i’s unique ingredients to create dishes that are not only tasteful but also beautifully presented.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were set on grabbing dinner at Lahaina but we didn't have a set place to go. We figured we will just decide while walking around. We looked at a couple of other places, but Koa's was the only restaurant that we looked at whose menu had something we wanted.

We walked in and our table was on the ground floor, overlooking the sunset. That view makes the experience infinitely better. Since if we pretended that there was a wall without windows preventing us from seeing that view, this would be a three star place at best.

Our server was also the bartender, so that in itself is a red flag. I cannot complain about her, since I know she was attempting to do her best. It is more of a reflection on the management that the bartended had to serve at least 3 or maybe even four tables on top of her bartending duties at around 5:30 pm where plenty of diners are ordering drinks.

All items were reasonably priced and the portions were generous. We had the steamed clam for appetizers, and it adequate. The fiance had a burger, and it was cooked well and satisfactory. I had the seafood pesto pasta, and it had plenty of seafood. However, the sauce was a little heavy for my taste. I was hoping for a purer pesto sauce, but what I got was a pesto sauce overloaded with cream.

When I go back to Lahaina soon, I will probably skip Koa's in that the food is just adequate, and there are plenty other restaurants with the same view. I guess that is my point, it is good but it's not special enough for us to return.

Koasgrill, General Manager at Koa 156°, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Aloha, I would like to apologize for your less than stellar experience. All comments good and bad make us a better restaurant. As for the bartender waiting tables, we let them do this because their bar only has 8 seats. It does not offer the great views that you had mentioned, and we want them to make some money. Not an excuse, just letting you know our process.
Please come in and let us make sure you have a great experience.
Buff Weaver

Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The view from the top deck is OK. The food is tasty and a good sized portion. My husband had the fish tacos and raved about them. I had the pork tacos, and they were good. Too much for lunch, that didn't stop us!! The service was average. They first sat is in the blazing sun and I asked to be moved to shade.

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Walking on Front St we went here despite Trip Advisor reviews. Immediately seated on upper outdoor deck directly overlooking the ocean. Gorgeous, cool breeze, and the end of the sunset. Very beautiful and relaxing.

Waitress very prompt, nice and efficient. She only faulted in not checking back shortly after receiving our order to see if everything was ok. Cost her another drink order.

My husband and I split Crab Cakes and Cheeseburger with Sweet potato fries. Crab cakes had something crunchy in every bite that was disconcerting. I asked the waitress and she had to go check. Returned and said they were macadamia nut tiny pieces. The dish tasted all right but you don't expect to have a crunch and it spoiled it for me.

The cheeseburger came with about three pieces of bacon and was OK, just a little bit off the normal taste.

With tip and tax - Two beers, cheeseburger and Crab Cakes $48

Not an experience that would entice us back.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Food bad
Service painfully slow
Drinks nasty, dirty glasses with lipstick and other
Manager incompetent
Price way too high, we expect a premium price when dining oceanfront but this was ridiculous
View was great, atmosphere was poor, it smelled like I don't know what, it was dirty and the bathroom was disgusting.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

After golfing we came here for lunch to get some seafood. What a great choice. WHAT A GREAT VIEW OF LAHAINA HARBOR! We started by ordering draft beers: Longboard Lager, a nice blonde beer, and Lava Man, like a good IPA. Both hit the spot. Our server Mike was great. I ordered the Blackened Fish Sandwich (Mahi-Mahi) which was more that I could eat. My wife Phyllis got the Seared Ahi Wrap which was fantastic. Also more than she could eat. We talked to other tables and the Crab Cakes got an A+. So did the Steamed Clams, but the clam-eater wanted more on the plate. The French Dip looked great and the plain Mixed Green Salad was fantastic. The Burger and The Fish and Chips looked only average. (kids like them anyway, go figure) This place won't hurt the pocket book as much as others on this sea-front strip.