“Great food, great service, great drinks, nice ambience”
Review of I O Restaurant - CLOSED

I O Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Shaw Street
Description: I'O (pronounced ee-oh), is Maui's original "farm to fork" restaurant serving Hawaiian regional cuisine in a contemporary beachfront setting. Acclaimed chef and partner James McDonald combines organic produce from the restaurant's very own I'o Farm with meat from upcountry ranches and fresh local fish. I'o is Maui's only DiRona Award recipient, and has achieved many accolades for innovative and sustainable cuisine. For wine aficionados there is an extensive and varied wine list, which has earned Wine Spectators' "Award of Excellence" consecutively for over a decade. I'o is one of Maui's true eclectic culinary gems!
San Diego, CA
“Great food, great service, great drinks, nice ambience”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

You can hear the waves rolling up to the beach from here. We ate on a weekday night, not too many patrons, but we got to sit outside. The food was excellent, portions not too big. I think each of us had seafood, of course. I ordered a couple of drinks at the bar. Very exotic and interesting and tasty. Total bill was about $130 with tip for two of us. The only downside to this bar is that there is a luau next door that you can hear. Music can be nice, but it can get loud and a few times during the night, all those patrons walked past, fairly loudly. Nothing to be done about that, it was over in a couple of minutes. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
“Sister Restaurant to Pacific"O”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

After a fabuous meal at Pacific"O we were informed that I'O had the same owner/chef. This is also a farm to table restaurant and the food the same lucsious quality as Pacific'O. The outdoor terrace was romantic and we heard the yukilali music from the luau next door. Our server, Steve, was great. We wll be back there in 2014!. You must eat here!

Visited October 2013
Lenexa, Kansas
“Unbelievable Flavors, Impeccable Service!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have to admit, after reading alot of the negative reviews here, I was a tad nervous. After comparing I'Oand Pacific 'O, I decided on the former, for our anniversary dinner. The hostess sat us at a table with a great view of the ocean ; our waiter, Steve, was very prompt in getting our orders for drinks, and very friendly and helpful in answering our questions. We started with an order of Curry Cream of Asparagus Soup, which was just ok for me, but surprisingly, my husband loved it - he hates Indian food, so I didn't expect that. The sourdough bread was wonderful spread with pesto, rather than butter. For our entrees, I ordered the Royalty risotto and mahimahi with pesto, and my husband ordered Tiger by the Tail. My dinner's presentation was a little blah, as I got a fairly large bowl of risotto and the mahi filet which had squiggles of the pesto around it. My husband's selection, however, was outstanding! The prawns were large, the asparagus tiny, and the whole thing tasted FABULOUS! We shared bites, and although he doesn't like fish, the mahi may have converted him! The flavors of both our dishes were perfect, and since I didn't eat all of my risotto, had room for the Raw Key Lime Pie, which was another surprise - the accompanying pineapple salsa was a perfect foil to the creamy pie filling and macadamia nut crust. To sum it up, I would happily return to I'O anytime!

• Visited October 2013
Superior, Colorado
“Better than its sister”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

So, one night we went to Pacific'o then the next night we went to I'o its sister across the hallway. Liked I'o much more. More creative, not as crowded. Better seating and outstanding bar tender. Creative and good menu and on the water just like Pacfic'o. More modern decor.

• Visited September 2013
Rocklin, California
“Great meal at a hidden gem”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I have been to Maui 6-7 times over the past 14 years, and had never gone far enough south on Front Street in Lahaina to see this small shopping / dining center - I suspect we're not alone in this, as it's pretty far down from the main "downtown" area.

It's worth the trip. We went with friends this past Friday (10/3) and had a great experience. Some highlights:
- Great service: Jenna was our waitress, and was helpful and attentive throughout. Good pacing on the meal, and good recommendations.
- Very good food, which really represents the "farm to table" approach. Every dish clearly is inspired by and made with local ingredients.
- All 4 entrees were fantastic: 2 of us had the "Rainbow Catch" with the daily catch (mahi mahi); 1 had the veal porterhouse (it was huge); 1 had the I'O Trio. Lots of sharing among us, you'll find yourself doing the same.
- Terrific view, if you're sitting outside as we were. I'd suggest asking for it if you make a reservation.
- While pricey by "mainland" standards, it actually wasn't bad in comparison with other comparable restaurants on Maui.
- The only negative - it was very distracting outside, as this is located right next to a small luau ("Feast at Lele"), which has a lot of music and dancing that you can hear but not really see or participate in. Without the luau next door, the atmosphere would be good, but this really took away from it in my opinion.

• Visited October 2013