“Nice little cafe overlooking the ocean”
Review of Castaway Cafe

Castaway Cafe
Ranked #50 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Boasting ocean front dining providing a selection of menus throughout the day and leading into dinner with spectacular views of the Maui Sunset, with a knowledgeable and "Ohana" (family) friendly staff that will complete your dining experience.
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Visited in early Dec. 2009. We ate lunch here since we were staying at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas. We sat outside in the front at the table closest to the ocean even though there wasn’t an umbrella (don’t recommend sitting here without sunscreen! Trust me.) This was my choice as there were many open tables to choose from. We both had a blackened mahi fish sandwich which was very good except for the roll which seemed to fall apart before we could finish the sandwich. The service was fine. We may have dined here again except that they were closed for three days of our five night stay at this resort. Very laid-back feel. Not a bad place to stop if you’re staying at the adjacent resort or strolling the beach walk which is right next to the restaurant. I would think a lot of the places at the other resorts are higher-priced and more annoying so I was glad to find this place at the resort where I stayed.

Reviewed December 26, 2009

My husband and I were in walking distance to this little cafe and visited it frequently during our stay. It is not fancy but the view is beautiful and the food is fresh and tasty and the service was excellent. The staff were very friendly and hospitable. I enjoyed the beachcomber sandwiches which were a nice light fresh meal in the hot weather, they were quite large though so I could never finish! My husband very much enjoyed the clam chowder. Very happy customers :)

Reviewed October 26, 2009

A local woman recommended this place to us for breakfast. NOT impressed. The food quality reminded me of truck stop restaurant. We ordered the Piholo (?) plate. The eggs, hashbrowns, AND bacon were terrible. The portugese sausage was okay, as were the pancakes.

The atmosphere isn't all that great. It's kind of old and tacky. I wished we had've just ate at our hotel.

If you decide to eat here, I recommend splitting a plate of anything because the portions are HUGE (and not tasty). At least if you aren't happy with it you won't have to spend too much money.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

I waited all year to go back to eat their great fish and chips. I was sadly disappointed. However, it's still a great place, off the beaten path to have lunch and to enjoy the view away from crowds.

Reviewed August 20, 2009

First of all this place is very hard to find at night and they give poor directions. So it took us 30 minutes to find the place with calling the place 2x to find out where it was. It was recommended by a local which is why we were persistent. This place is located behind the pool at the Kaanapali villas condos. There is a nice view of the ocean but you can't see anything after dark. I got the chicken cordon bleu which was a good idea with pineapple in it but had no taste at all. Others got the shrimp and mahi which was good but bland too. There is a good wine list and the price was reasonable. For 4 adults we ate for 130 dollars total with each having 1-2 drinks. This is good for Maui. Overall, I have a mixed opinion. There are better places to eat in Maui but if you are in the area, it couldn't hurt to try it. It would be better for a light dinner or just a quick bite to eat. And I hear they have better breakfast. However, they close at 9 which is early. I won't be going back just because there are such better places to eat in the area.

Been to Castaway Cafe? Share your experiences!