“Yuck! Should have read the reviews first! Zombies in control.”
Review of Nachos Grande

Nachos Grande
Ranked #161 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

In a hurry so we stopped in for some take away, oh how I should have stayed away!

Had to enter the place through the loud bar next door with my eleven year old. Not kid friendly. Greeted by a teenage, stone faced, zombie who I don't remember talking, perhaps grunts.

While waiting we were asked to fill out a survey about the food and service by the teen zombie. Since I hadnt even seen the food, I declined. Weird. Food came relatively fast from an elder zombie, as there was only one couple in the place at dinner time. Bad sign.

Upon getting back to open the box, I discovered 2 greasy, rock hard, miniature tacos, in a half filled container, with a few spoonfuls of awful beens and OK rice. I felt cheated and the food was quite bad.

I think they couldn't talk, or smile, as they were reading their reviews. I should have first too!

Or maybe they have eaten more than one meal there. Turns you into a zombie! Yikes!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Upon leaving with our order, a older gentlemen came from the attached establishment and said "gratuities would be appreciated." We turned around wondering if they were speaking to us, and the young man from behind the counter came out and challenged us at the door. This is a fast food establishment. We ordered take out. Tips are not the norm in this situation. They were extremely rude and agressive. Upon arriving to our condo, they shorted us one meal so we were out $10. I guess they got their tip but they lost our service in the future. However, there is a much better authentic Mexican place south from them called Ohana Tacos. Thanks to Nachos Grande and thier rude staff we discovered this place. Stay clear of Nachos Grande as thier food is really awful. It's in a good location this is how they get their business. We didnt know better but thanks to thier poor service and extrememly bad attidues, we discovered a great place with food that tastes like it should.

1  Thank Canuckgardener
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I'm a local person who has lived on island for the last 10 years. I remember going to Nachos when I first moved to Honokowai and the food was amazing along with the wait staff, very cozy and personable. I recently went back to Nachos after several years of living on and dining in other Maui areas and I was horrified. The employee on call was sitting at the bar with his back to patrons and as my friend and I walked in he called out "Howzit". We said all was good and decided on the margarita and happy hour menu of tacos @ $2.00/ea. We informed the employee of our choice as he sat with his back to us watching tv. He came back with the food, no napkins, no silverware and sat back down to watch tv. My friend and I ate our meal, which we thought was worth the 2 bucks but definitely not anything special (food was premade and sitting in containers spooned out to order, bland and cold) . We asked for the check and it came back twice as much as the happy hour menu stated. Of course we approached the employee who shot back "You said you wanted the plate lunch!" which we never eluded to, we specifically asked for the ala carte bar menu. He got belligerent & angry so my friend & I paid the exorbitant bill and left. Feeling very used by this employee and wanting to contact the manager or person in charge so that other patrons would not have to go through the same experience, I got in touch with the owner. After explaining the horrible service and food experience, she was also belligerent and obviously had been drinking,
so I swiftly ended the conversation and will never recommend this restaurant to friends, neighbors, or even my worst enemies. Please be careful if you do decide to patronize this establishment HORRIBLE

2  Thank C G
Reviewed February 20, 2013

In my few years of reviewing restaurants on Tripadvisor, this is the first time I've handed out a one bubble rating. I thought Canadians made bad Mexican food, but it seems Hawaiians do an even worse job. Usually I research my restaurants pretty carefully but this place was next to a grocery store we were shopping at so, what the heck, we decided to give it a try. Boy was that a mistake. The place was not clean. The "chips" were old, stale and tasteless. The salsa watery and tasteless. My margarita was watered down and not at all good. The burrito was marginally okay but not warm. Most of it wasn't consumed. Very disappointing. If there ever was a predictable restaurant failure, it's this place.

1  Thank drfumblefinger
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had dinner here the other night. Should have left when I saw the bathroom. We had dinner and went to pay, the cook stopped making a burrito, took our money then licked his fingers and went back to preparing the burrito. Totally gross.

1  Thank signgirl05