“Very good, but not top-notch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lahaina Grill

Lahaina Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Lahaina Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 262 Restaurants in Lahaina
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Description: Open nightly from 5pm. Voted Best Maui Restaurant for 24 years in a row (1994-2017)! Featuring innovative, New American cuisine, Lahaina Grill uses techniques and flavors from around the world, all perfectly blended with the freshest ingredients cultivatedby Maui's local farms, dairies and surrounding waters.
Seattle, Washington
“Very good, but not top-notch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Family dinner. Seated promptly per reservation. Restaurant not full. Plenty of good service, though water refills came with ice when I'd requested no ice.

I've never had a server introduce him/herself and hand out a business card. Strange.

Server was helpful with suggestions, knew the dishes well, and practically insisted that dishes we wanted to share be served already split. It looked better, but that was not too important. Their version of insalata caprese looked great, but since it was a small "tower" of slabs (not slices) of tomato and bufala mozzarella, it was a bother to eat it. What's worse is that there was less surface area of the tomatoes & cheese to take up the dressing. I would not want this again.

The waygu beef ravioli were great - wished I'd had more. Scallops were nicely done but not outstanding overall. We had a veggie side - cauliflower. I love a little curry on my veggies, but didn't want curried cauliflower. Guess another side would have fit better, but who knew that it would be so spiced?

We had white wine - and as is often the case - it's served much too soon for it to have been chilled properly. We had it in the ice bucket for a good part of the meal before we wanted to drink it.

One of the servers wanted to clear plates before ALL of us had finished. I had to stop him. I've never had this issue in the best restaurants - though otherwise the service was fine.

Dessert - "road to Hana" - was a nice chocolate mousse by another name. Spun sugar "comb" a nice touch.

To be fair, others in our group enjoyed their meals very much.

• Korean first
Minden, Nevada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I notice a lot of reviewers call the Lahaina Grill one of the best restaurants in Maui. Let me tell you, this is not saying much. A food mecca, Maui is not. That said, my husband and I went to the Lahaina Grill for our anniversary, and were underwhelmed. Here is a breakdown of our experience- Our waiter was friendly, but a bit high pressure. Sort of like a car salesman. The drinks started out weak- in both flavor and strength. And, the tables are so close together, you have to put effort into not listening to other diners conversations. My appetizer of seafood stuffed chilie was average, and didn't fit the rest of the menu. My husbands Ahi appetizer was very good. The bread is very good. The butternut squash soup I got was delicious, as was the creamed spinach (honestly, that was amazing). My filet was overcooked- seriously, dry and grey around the edges, and the Berenaise sauce was oddly flavorless. The mashed potatoes, and vegetables that came with the filet were very average, and after a quick taste, I didn't even eat them. My husband got the $85 steak, described as the best quality steak in the world. Again, good, but, just good, not amazing.
Lastly, the bathroom was in a shocking state. Old, run down, not very clean, with an old rusted soap container between two sinks that looked like it was purchased from Walmart, like years ago. Not what I expect when I spend $400 on dinner.
Would I go back? No.
Recommend? No.
We also ate at The Banyan Tree, which was at our hotel The Ritz Carlton. That meal was also about $350, but, really amazing. The wine tasting meal was worth every penny. For a special meal, that would be my choice. :)

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mercedes L
Tampa, FL
“Still one of the best restaurants on Maui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

If you want to have wonderful food in a beautiful room, this is still the place to go. Been going for years and it has not slipped at all. Great service, fantastic food and a lovely ambiance. Wagyu beef ravioli, veal chop and apple tart were all fantastic. Great wine list, even for wines by the glass. Turley Zinfandel I had was perfect. The bartender taking care of me was wonderful - didn't get her name unfortunately. Yes, it's pricey. You're on Maui so splurge some more! The best night of my trip!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank FoodWineandGuinness
Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Terrific Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had a fantastic meal here. Veal Osso Buca was wonderful as was my husbands filet. The triple berry pie is a must have. One small issue, we ordered the cake walk appetizer, which they never brought, but the waiter treated us to dessert. Very impressive wine list as well .

1 Thank Ruth C
Los Gatos, California
“One of the best meals in Maui”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

After several mediocre, high priced, hotel meals in Maui, we were told of Lahaina Grill. With high expectations,we drove the 40 minutes from Wailea for what turned out to be a meal of impeccable service and well prepared food, though still pricey.

1 Thank Linda F