“disappointing”
Review of Lahaina Grill

Lahaina Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Lahaina Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 274 Restaurants in Lahaina
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Description: Open nightly from 5pm. Voted Best Maui Restaurant for 25 years in a row (1994-2018)! Featuring innovative, New American cuisine, Lahaina Grill uses techniques and flavors from around the world, all perfectly blended with the freshest ingredients cultivatedby Maui's local farms, dairies and surrounding waters.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I notice a lot of reviewers call the Lahaina Grill one of the best restaurants in Maui. Let me tell you, this is not saying much. A food mecca, Maui is not. That said, my husband and I went to the Lahaina Grill for our anniversary, and were underwhelmed. Here is a breakdown of our experience- Our waiter was friendly, but a bit high pressure. Sort of like a car salesman. The drinks started out weak- in both flavor and strength. And, the tables are so close together, you have to put effort into not listening to other diners conversations. My appetizer of seafood stuffed chilie was average, and didn't fit the rest of the menu. My husbands Ahi appetizer was very good. The bread is very good. The butternut squash soup I got was delicious, as was the creamed spinach (honestly, that was amazing). My filet was overcooked- seriously, dry and grey around the edges, and the Berenaise sauce was oddly flavorless. The mashed potatoes, and vegetables that came with the filet were very average, and after a quick taste, I didn't even eat them. My husband got the $85 steak, described as the best quality steak in the world. Again, good, but, just good, not amazing.
Lastly, the bathroom was in a shocking state. Old, run down, not very clean, with an old rusted soap container between two sinks that looked like it was purchased from Walmart, like years ago. Not what I expect when I spend $400 on dinner.
Would I go back? No.
Recommend? No.
We also ate at The Banyan Tree, which was at our hotel The Ritz Carlton. That meal was also about $350, but, really amazing. The wine tasting meal was worth every penny. For a special meal, that would be my choice. :)

1  Thank Mercedes L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,146)

Reviewed December 7, 2012

If you want to have wonderful food in a beautiful room, this is still the place to go. Been going for years and it has not slipped at all. Great service, fantastic food and a lovely ambiance. Wagyu beef ravioli, veal chop and apple tart were all fantastic. Great wine list, even for wines by the glass. Turley Zinfandel I had was perfect. The bartender taking care of me was wonderful - didn't get her name unfortunately. Yes, it's pricey. You're on Maui so splurge some more! The best night of my trip!

1  Thank FoodWineandGuinness
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had a fantastic meal here. Veal Osso Buca was wonderful as was my husbands filet. The triple berry pie is a must have. One small issue, we ordered the cake walk appetizer, which they never brought, but the waiter treated us to dessert. Very impressive wine list as well .

1  Thank Ruth C
Reviewed December 7, 2012

After several mediocre, high priced, hotel meals in Maui, we were told of Lahaina Grill. With high expectations,we drove the 40 minutes from Wailea for what turned out to be a meal of impeccable service and well prepared food, though still pricey.

1  Thank Linda F
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Was treated to Lahaina Grill from my sister and BIL for our 25th anniversary. When we made the reservation, she acted like she knew me! It was great from there on out. They took our picture to post on their Facebook page and gave us a card as well. It was a nice touch. Food was awesome. We had a wonderful appetizer called the Cake Walk. We both then had seafood entrees that were wonderful, very nicely plated and just right amount in serving. For dessert, we had a sampler. Wow - as a dessert lover, this was the best. Would definitely recommend, pricey but well worth it. Allow enough time to find parking, DT Lahaina can be a real challenge for parking. Enjoy!

1  Thank Jan4645

Been to Lahaina Grill? Share your experiences!