“Delicious fish, beautiful surroundings”
Review of Gerard's

Gerard's
Reserve with OpenTable
Gerard's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 272 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wainee
Transit: Bus stop behind Wharf shopping center (3 blocks away)
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I enjoyed dinner at Gerard's my first night in Maui. It is expensive, but the food is really good. I had the baby spinach and scallop salad, plus the fish special, which was opakapaka in a champagne butter sauce with crab. Delectable. The scallops and the fish were both perfectly cooked. The wine list is extensive. As a single traveler, I had to select wine from half bottles (splits) and they were a tad overpriced. I'd have preferred to select from a small number of wines by the glass. I'd definitely go back.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We arrived a few minutes early and were seated promptly. The server introduced himself in a friendly, though less formal way than I would expect for fine dining. This a little less formal attitude was a great vibe for vacation dining. The server proved to be very knowledgeable and gave us great service even when the restaurant became packed shortly after we arrived. We shared the tuna and escargot appetizers, both excellent with the escargot having enough garlic that you could taste it. I had a local fish that was the catch of the day that was described as similar to snapper - it was a little larger filet than a regular Florida Red snapper and was delicious, I would have it again. I forgot my wife's entrée but she remembers it was her best meal on the vacation. We had a small desert that we shared. If we would have dined here earlier during our vacation we would have returned. Reservations are probably required. Dress is island informal although we dressed a little nicer as did many of the other patrons.

1  Thank luvsfishin
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I cannot understand the negative reviews. The relaxed atmosphere wonderfully complemented the excellent food and exemplary service. A culinary treat. We ate outdoors in a garden setting, where there was more than ample space between tables. We were hardly aware of the other diners.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I had wanted to go to Gerard's for years because of its high ratings, nice setting, and central Lahaina location. We finally visited on our most recent trip to Maui. It was so disappointing. The food, presentation, and service were incredibly tired. Not one dish was better than I can cook at home. The pate was ordinary. The dumplings were awful. The shrimp pasta appetizer was flavorless.

We really wanted to like Gerard's but it was our worst meal of the week. Hali'imaile General Store, Gannon's, Pacific O', Honu, Mala, and Roy's are all better options for foodies. We actually went to another restaurant after our dinner at Gerard's to try to end the night on a high note. When we chatted with the owner of that restaurant about our experience, they confirmed that Gerard's is not a top tier Maui restaurant any more.

So sad.

2  Thank KonaNimmer
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening out at this wonderful restaurant!!! The service was wonderful, food perfect, and desert absolutely incredible!!

I would LOVE A desert and coffee only visit!

Our waiter was well seasoned and very good at what he does, lucky us!!! WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN!!!