“Great Setting But Pricey”

Pacific'O Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pacific'O Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 275 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Shaw Street
Description: Ocean front dining. Romantic views of the Maui Sunset mixed with the ocean breeze makes for a memorable dining experience. Featuring Fresh Local Organic food from Maui. The Chef is always creating so if it's your first time dining or your tenth delightful surprises await you.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I give this a better-than-average rating because of a couple of good things, but there were also some average aspects that you don't expect in top tier restaurants. Above all, it is hard to find a better setting than this - dining on an outdoor patio, right on the beach, with an entertaining sunset every night. Pacific'O is a few blocks south of the old part of Lahaina. Parking in Lahaini is never easy, but there is a (for pay) parking garage which serves this restarant and other establishments. I strongly recommend reservations.

We were seated promptly, and our friendly waiter took our drink orders before too long. The service from start to finish was not speedy, but was better than average. Since there were 8 of us we did not expect (nor need) especially fast service.

Everything on the menu sounded good, usually a good sign. I began with a salad topped with roasted local onions and goat cheese - a good start. My main course was mahi mahi on tagliatelle (a fettuccini-like pasta) with mushrooms. The fish was better than average, but the pasta with mushrooms really made the dish. I tried a bite or two of the chocolate decadence dessert ordered by someone at our table, and it was delicious.

There is a nightly luau at the proprty next door, and there is foot traffic from that, so you shoould ask for seating on the north, or Lahaina, side of the patio. The performers warmed up for the show on the beach out from the restaurant, providing some added entertainment as a bonus.

Overall, a better than average experience, but it was prrobably the most expensive dinner we had during the week, and I did not feel like the value was there. No doubt, part of what we paid for was the location and atmosphere but, for this price, the food and service should be exceptional.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Pacific'o was our dining choice for our after wedding meal 2 weeks ago, and it was nothing like I expected it to be! We had many restaurants to choose from for this all important meal and ultimately decided on Pacific'o because of reviews on here & local recommendations. We had reservations of coarse so were seated promptly, and the location is definitely a perk! It is right on the water and I'm sure has amazing sunset views (we arrived after sunset). Where our disappointment began was with the waiter, he lacked any personality and seemed almost annoyed that we were a large party, even though there were only 8 of us. He did not take our drink orders for over 30 minutes and when he finally did it took another 15 to get them, then he finally took our meal orders. If it were not for the amazing bus boys we would have been without water & bread the entire time we waited for our meal. The food was hit & miss, some loved their meal some didn't, numerous plates were semi cold. We were all in such a great mood from the wedding that the food wasn't that big of a deal. The service however dampened all of our moods. We were hoping to enjoy drinks and celebrate, which was impossible since we were only able to order 1 or 2 drinks in 3 hours. At the end of the night the waiter finally came back to ask about dessert, we said we would like a piece of cake since we didn't have one at the wedding, we wanted to do the traditional feed each other the cake moment. He suggested the chocolate decadence, which sounded pretty basic on the menu "chocolate cake...". When we got it it was not a cake by any means, it was a thin piece of solid chocolate, tasted like a huge truffle! I love chocolate but this was not was we expected, nor wanted. We assumed he must have brought us the wrong dessert, nope. When my new husband explained it wasn't what we expected the waiter seemed very annoyed & didn't offer to exchange it for us or take it off the bill. I wasn't going to freak out about the $12 dessert, it wasn't about the money, it was about his lack of service period. It was shocking, I hate to write bad reviews, in fact this is the only bad review I have after spending 8 days in Maui. I think if we would have had a different server we could have had a different experience. There is just no other word besides disappointed that describes how our night ended. But we all left still fairly cheerful because it's hard to be anything but relaxed in beautiful Maui!

1  Thank Nicole H
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We really enjoyed Pacific'O which was about a 10-15 minute drive from our hotel (Hyatt in Kaanapali). It is right on the beach, a beautiful setting. Make your reservations for approx. 30 minutes before sunset for spectacular views! We didn't know before going, but this restaurant is 'farm to table' which we really enjoy and appreciate. No complaints, except we unfortunately are not fish eaters, and most of the menus in all Hawaii focus on this 'pacific cuisine.' I had a fresh and healthy salad the night we dined here.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

On a previous vacation to Maui we had eaten lunch at Pacific’O and found this to a beautiful restaurant with great food, so this time we wanted to try it again. Our table had a wonderful view and a nice sea breeze. Mahi Mahi was the fish of the day, so my wife ordered the Tempura Fish & Chips and I had the Fresh Fish Sandwich. My sandwich was very good with the fish grilled the way I like it. My wife’s fish was supposed to be tempura deep fried, but it came out pale in color and way under cooked and raw in areas. Our server apologized, sent it back, and said there would be no charge for her lunch, but by the time she received the do-over she basically had lost her appetite. Pacific’O is still a beautiful restaurant with a great view, too bad my wife’s lunch wasn’t as memorable as before.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Went for dinner on a Wednesday night, fortunately the place was not very busy but we had reservations anyway. We were attracted to the 'farm/ocean-to-table' aspect of the restaurant but were a bit hesitant to try it due to some poor TripAdvisor reviews. We tried it anyway and could not have been happier! I feel sorry for the people who seemed to have a bad experience, but frankly it is difficult to imagine given our experience. Great ambiance, welcoming hostess, attentive server (John), and other staff looking after you all evening. We had the ceviche to start, made with ahi and ono. Delicious. Then we both had the Kona Winds with Hebi (Shortbill Swordfish). It was outstanding. Cooked perfectly, with the freshest possible ingredients, nicely presented, and best of all, delicious! The only letdown was that the homemade chocolate ice cream turned out to have been substituted for something with bananas that was good but not great. The sunset was as good as you'd expect for West Maui, and the restaurant is well situated on the Lahaina waterfront to take full advantage. We don't eat at a lot of 'top end' restaurants, but this place was worth every penny. And it actually wasn't terrible, around $150 for two with drinks, sharing an appetizer, and sharing dessert. I'd recommend this place to anyone.