“Its what you expect”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
San Diego, California
“Its what you expect”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I didn't really want to eat dinner here but my husband wanted a steak so we went. The food was good, its in a shopping center on the second floor (they have an elevator). Food was good, zero ambiance, looked a little tired and probably won't go back....

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Johanna C

Pennsylvania
“outback 'fail'”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife, daughter and son-in-law attempted to have dinner here on Valentine's Day, but did not have much success. I've had many dinners at Outback restaurants over the years, with consistently good food quality and service, but this visit was uniquely poor in each respect. We had a 6pm reservation, presented ourselves on the dot, and were asked to wait 10 minutes while our table was readied. When taken to a round table for six, we asked for a four person table. We waited in the lobby for another few minutes, then were taken to a booth in the main dining room. On the way, I counted 8 vacant four person tables. Drink orders were taken and delivered promptly. When ordering, I asked the server if the New England Clam Chowder was spicy/hot, was informed that it was not, and ordered a cup. Also ordered a wedge salad to accompany my New York Strip. My family ordered tortilla soup (du jour), but were told that they had run out (at 6:30pm!), but a new batch would be ready in 30 mins. They passed on the soup. My soup and the wedge salads (son-in law also ordered one to share with my daughter) arrived in a few minutes. 30 seconds later, our four entrees arrived.

Our four person tasting rated the clam chowder at between 7 and 8 on our spice meter scale. (a 9 puts a hole in your tongue, and a 10 removes it.) White pepper appeared to be the culprit. It completely overwhelmed the soup and rendered it inedible. I have had clam chowder hundreds of times in my life. Apart from Outback, I have never had spicy clam chowder - it is just not made that way.

Halfway through the salads, the server returned to check our status. I related my unhappiness with the soup, and the fact that my steak (and the other three entrees) had been cooling on the table for 10 minutes. She said she would have the manager come over.

Manager arrived in a few minutes, asked what was wrong, got the explanations, and apologized. She offered to remove the entrees while we finished the salads, and re-serve them after we were done. We accepted, finished the salads within 10 minutes, and waited for the entrees....30 more minutes. My medium-rare steak had a warm, red center (as it should), yet was as dry as a well done piece of meat. I had ordered the steak 'fire-grilled' (without spices), yet was served a steak that was as spicy hot as the soup - and just as inedible. Of the other three entrees, only one was prepared as requested. Never saw the waitress again; never saw the manager, either.
A runner brought the $150 bill - the full charge for all we had ordered. We were unhappy to pay it but opted to leave without further hassle. We won't return to this venue.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank TrueBob
Westchester County, New York
“Always great service and food you can count on!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Who hasn't eaten at the Outback? You always know the food will be good, the menu hardly varies so you can trust it.

The Outback in Lahaina is no exception to the rule. It is set in a strip mall (tiny parking spaces) and located upstairs, an elevator is available for those not able to climb the steps.

The decor in this Outback is much better than many of the others that seem to be a bit overcrowded with the whole Aussie theme. It's got a Hawaiian influence that makes it much nicer inside.

We have always had great service here. It could be because many of the residents rely so heavily on tips, but terrific service should be rewarded I think.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Christen G
Castle Pines, Colorado
“It's Outback, has to be good, and it is!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We know the Outback menu by heart, we eat in Outbacks all over the U.S. and have eaten at this one many times. We were seated promptly with call ahead seating, service was excellent, food was hot and very tasty, as it always is. We've never been disappointed at Outback.

• Visited January 2013
Maui, Hawaii
“get in, at Outback...”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

went for dinner with 2 friends who fancy this place. I'd been there for lunch with them before a few times, but was my first dinner there...was pretty busy for a Tuesday night...we got there around 7...bar was lively, taken into the dining room, we'd asked for a booth and were taken to one, more or less in the thick of it, so asked to pls be seated on the other side of the room, which was way quieter/private for actually being able to hold a conversation...

Jennifer was our order taker/server and was there promptly...told us about the special...the Victorian Filet w/a half grilled lobster and 3 shrimp...and yes she said it like that...29.99...
took a bottle of red, she said the Black Opal Cab was a good one so we ordered it up..I've had Black Opal before but not their Cab...well the Aussies know a thing or two about red wine so I wasn't really worried...hummm very tasty red, and at 23usd for the Bottle it tasted even better!

So the other gent ordered just the regular Victorian Filet, with baked and side salad, comes with the meal...his was 26.99...I went for the Alice Springs Chicken, which was a chicken breast split, grilled, topped with sauteed mushrooms and 2 cheeses, served with Aussie Fries, for which Jennifer graiously sub'd the garlic mash...I ordered up a Ceasar too..

all the salads arrived promplty...they serve what we call Squaw Bread with butter...it was quite good. We hadn't come close to finishing our salads when the mains arrived, via a food runner/server, not Jennifer...I have no problem with this style of service, but please, if you gonna do it that way, don't be asking 'who had the Alice Springs chicken'? You should know that! Also I didn't appreciate that the mains arrived before we were pau our salads/they were cleared off the table...

after we'd tucked into our mains abit, Kim, the Manager on duty came by to see if all was okay...well it was actually, the steaks were cooked perfectly med rare, and my chicken was done properly as well...

so we finished up, drank the rest of the wine and took the bill...108usd for the 3 of us..

1 salad
3 mains
1 bottle of red
bill of 108usd plus tip (my friends are generous and always tip 20%)...

the place was clean, I didn't go to use the restroom so not sure about that.
The service was more than satisfactory, the food way better than satisfactory, so all in all I'd give them a 4 out of 5...great value esp considering you're on Maui...

• Visited January 2013