“Mahalo”

Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Mahalo”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Though the hotel has only been a Montage for just over a month, the team is already demonstrating the very best qualities of that brand's reputation for genuine, warm, personal quality service. And the cool part is, they are really giving a 'Hawaii' version of Montage - from the lei greeting upon check in to a breakfast with the freshest pineapple and even bath products that are the same quality as those at all Montage hotels but that emphasize the famous scents associated with Hawaii.

I especially loved my experiences at Cane & Canoe restaurant. The service team is warm, professional and attentive (giving personalization to every meal order to reflect each diner's individual taste) and the food quality is five-star extraordinary. I was especially impressed with both the lamb and the tenderloin entrees and the ahi poke with avocado is precisely what one would expect from poke in Hawaii. The featuring of local beverages - Kona coffee and lager from Maui's brewery - are an especially satisfying and exceptional experience.

I loved meeting the cultural ambassador, Silla, and enjoyed shopping for local goods at their 'Mahana' market. The pool deck that is at the center of the resort is nothing short of magnificent, with its coves and grottos. And there is a great vibe at the Hana Ho bar each night at sunset. The adjacent Kapalua Bay beach is awesome for recreation and there are some awesome dining experiences just off property - Merriman's at the point and the Plantation are both great experiences. I loved both the tennis center and the Kapalua Golf Course, which the resort transportation was happy to get me to with ease. Also, the Spa Montage facility is second to none and the morning yoga class was one perfect way to wake up (and take in an outrageous view of the Pacific).

I recommend a catamaran voyage as part of any Maui visit, but most of all, I just loved relaxing in the outrageously spacious rooms (including full kitchen) and huge stone bathrooms and taking in the endless views of Molokai and Lanai. I cannot say enough about Montage Kapalua Bay, but I've already said plenty so I'll just stop right here and finish with a simple but sincere 'Mahalo.'

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view, so you really can't lose.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank sfdann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Orange County, California
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed a week in June after grand opening - fabulous rooms, great pool and views, and close access to an excellent beach (Kapalua bay). We have previously stayed at the Ritz Kapalua and the Kapalua golf villas. However, we will now only stay at the montage in the future. This hotel is a close neck and neck to the Four Seasons on the big island in Kona but is by far the best on Maui.

Room Tip: All rooms are huge.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank ronn c
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We always love staying at the Montage resorts and we were thrilled to learn about the property in Maui. My husband, Son and I just spent 6 nights at the hotel. Before we arrived the most amazing concierge contacted me to book our spa appointments, make tennis reservations, suggest Resturants etc. The concierge that I worked with name is Jeramia and really took great care of us durring our entire trip. The service at the hotel is so on point. From being greeted by name by one of the Managers Karima who was so great and took care of checking us in and making sure our room was to our liking. To the people at the spa, at the pool, in-room dining. Speaking of the room. The accomadations are wonderful for families because they are basically all suites I believe. 1, 2 and 3 bedroom. We stayed in a 3 bedroom 3 1/2 bath unit with a full kitchen and washer and dryer and really all the comforts of home. The lanai was huge and we spent a lot of time relaxing and just reading and enjoying the view from the balcony. The pool is fabulous and it is close to the beach path. There are also great paths for walking. I really can not say enough about this hotel and the amazing time we had. I was so sad to leave and I'm counting the days for our return.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have an ocean view but it's definitely worth splurging for the premium or ocea...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank DanaKCohen
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2014

For having been open less than 60 days, my mouth dropped when I experienced service levels that came close to rivaling the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua (next door) at the beginning of our stay. By the 4th day, I was convinced talent & facilities at Montage > Ritz. Each property has its pluses/minuses and I encourage everyone to visit both.

Montage Kapalua Bay is a highly interactive, open-air, oasis resort. Want to feed (or pet) giant coy at the lobby's entrance ponds? Talent provides fish food. Tropical flavored water stations are thoughtfully spread throughout the resort and available when needed. Cold eucalyptus infused towels to cool you down? Discreetly placed mini-fridges hold the trick. Want to climb on rocks or a waterfall? Head to the pool. Kids are present and all well behaved.

I have ridiculously high expectations. I worked for Starwood hospitality ops for 4 years and developed an eye for lapses and imperfections. Also a Starwood Residences Owner and lived in a 5-star property for 3 years. Stayed at the Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve 3 months after opening and its service/facilities were still disjointed. Montage Kapalua is already functioning as a well-oiled machine and I finally concede tearing down the (former) Kapalua Bay Hotel 8 years ago was the right choice.

Breakfast at the restaurant under the lobby (Cane & Canoe) was off the charts (foodie here). I've been staying next door since an early age and never got to experience local Hawaiian dishes. Cane & Canoe serves Loco Moco (Google it) and Molokai Potato Pancakes. And dishes are priced at half the cost of the $40 international buffet up the road. Happy Hour at the pool bar (from 3-5P) made $14 drinks and $18 nachos affordable.

Never ever want to have to tell a guest "no" (least that's what I learned Day 1). Montage Talent went out of their way to fulfill requests meant purposely to throw them off (bad habit). Asked for a "magical fruity frozen cocktail surprise" and the bartender delivered a slam-dunk concoction. I was in the mood for coconut shrimp (nowhere on the menu), and Talent immediately radioed the kitchen asking if it had necessary ingredients. Out came 8 jumbo fried shrimp breaded with freshly-shaved coconut. Knocked the socks of Costco's frozen coconut shrimp!

New pool facilities had numerous waterfalls, rock climbing opportunities, bubble-massage beds, a couple well-hidden makeout spots (think: Playboy Mansion Grotto), and at least 2 hot tubs. Like its neighbor, complimentary sunscreen (SPF 50ish) is available upon request.

Aspect that most resonated was the cohesive/warm/family-type energy the new facilities and Talent so generously gave off. Honestly don't remember the last hotel I stayed in where EVERYONE practiced the "10 and 5" rule. Montage's Talent were almost excited about (having to) acknowledge me 10 feet away. At 5 feet away, it was full-fledged eye contact and friendly focus. This practice was consistent across all Talent types (Housekeeping, Pool Attendants, F&B, etc.).

Montage Kapalua Bay is situated between two beautiful beaches. One to the left can get cozy with beachcombers. Walk 8 minutes to the right and descend to Oneloa Beach, which sort of rivals a Great Barrier Reef beach.

If you're considering staying on the east side of the island, don't. Drive from Kahalui Airport to Wailea takes 20 minutes and lacks in scenery. Four Seasons, Grand Wailea and Kea Lani are dated properties with little character. Lastly, rent a convertible!

Room Tip: There's no bad Suite location. Even the janitor's closet suffices.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
16 Thank Demetrius_John
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed nearby and visited the pool bar. We were searching for a great Mai Tai. This bar, tended by Sharaya and Kaiha. They made us feel like the regulars at Cheers. We came back 5 of the 8 days we were in Maui. Also, it was easy top two in Mai Tais (the 1944 version is the way to go) on Maui.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank William B
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We just returned from an incredible honeymoon at the Montage Kapalua Bay. We could not be happier with the entire staff and our overall experience. Their service and attention to detail are impeccable. The property is incredible with a fabulous pool, beach access, snorkeling, paddle boarding and kayaking. Their Cane & Canoe restaurant has excellent food, we had our most memorable meals there viewing the ocean and sunset. We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our honeymoon and will definitely be back for future visits. We will continue our loyalty to the Montage Kapalua Bay and Montage hotels for many years to come.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank K. Y
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Montage has always been known for their stunning 5 star resorts, but their new Maui property has really set the bar high. The views (from every suite) are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, coupled with the most luxurious accommodations and super friendly staff - this hotel is second to none! We highly recommend it to anyone who wants to relax and be pampered in the most beautiful of settings. A travelers dream come true!

Room Tip: Every room is a gorgeous room and super lux! You definitely can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Courtenay H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Montage Kapalua Bay? Share your experiences!