“Highlight of our Vacation”

Hang Loose Surf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf and Stand-Up Paddle Lessons for guys and girls of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
Reviewed December 31, 2015

We had so much fun at our first lesson that we booked a second. Abner is an amazing teacher and we all got up on our first try. I cannot recommend Hang Loose Surf Club enough. Thank you for the wonderful experience...twice.

HangLooseSurfClub, Owner at Hang Loose Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2016

Thank you Zarah for surfing with me and taking the time to leave a review! I hope all my students in 2016 are just like your family. Take care you guys!

All reviews
in 82 reviews
"board"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed December 31, 2015 via mobile

I've had a couple of surf lessons over the years, but this one easily topped all of them. Abner and Joanna were very friendly and welcoming. Abner started out by asking about our levels and what we wanted to work on. I picked up a number of tricks that helped me with areas I've been struggling with. In talking with him, he sounds great whether you've never touched the water or have surfed a number of times before. I'll definitely be back next time I visiting the island.

Thanks Jeremy! I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for us. Good luck in your brewery business, I will be cheering for you guys!

Reviewed December 29, 2015

My son decided to do the last minute surfing lesson so I only had a private lesson option early in the morning and off the beach suf school, not like ones right on the beach. That's only my negative. My son's not that strong but had to carry 9 foot surf walking roughly 2 blocks crossing a busy street round trip.

Other than that, the lesson was great, he got up within 30 min and enjoyed several times more. The teacher was pushing the surfboard to aid my son when the waves hit. That's good and bad since he enjoyed the rides but when he tried on his own later on a different beach, it was much tougher obviously.

So it's a thing to do. Even if you get up on the board and feel like a million bucks, you will need to keep doing it other wise, it's just one of things to cross out on your bucket list.

Also it aint' cheap. $150 for 2 hours but about 30 to 40 min is dry lesson and waking back and forth. I still give 5 stars because the teacher was great, however, I would put my son to do like in a several day camp if he really wants to learn surfing and also right on the beach to maximize water time. I know this means the little guys offering surfing lesson may suffer but the price was not that much different at all...

HangLooseSurfClub, Owner at Hang Loose Surf Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2015

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to leave a review! My dream would be to have a check in desk at the beach but unfortunately it's against the law here in Maui. You're totally right about it being a little difficult doing it on his own after the first lesson, but like anything else-with practice and consistency, he will get better. So the more he surfs the better he will get. I have a basic surfing video on our YouTube channel at Hang Loose Surf Club to help him refresh his memory before the next time he surfs, or if he would like any tips please email me at HangLooseSurfClub@gmail.com and I will be happy to help.

Abner Nakihei Jr.
Owner/Surf instructor

Reviewed December 29, 2015 via mobile

Abner and Joanna have an wonderful little surf school, and I highly recommend it if you are looking do do surf lessons! Joanna is super-friendly and helpful. Abner is a fantastic teacher, and very patient and kind. We were in Maui with my sister's family, and her kids wanted to take a surf lesson. I decided to give it a try, too, but figured it would probably be a morning of constantly falling, hopefully with one successful run before the end. I was totally wrong - after a quick lesson on the beach we were out in the water and all managed to get up on our first try. The way Abner taught us to stand up was simple and effective. We all had such a good time, we ended up booking a second lesson! The second time out the water was a bit more crowded with surfers, but we had another great lesson and all got in some nice, long runs. Thank you, Abner and Joanna, for two fantastic, memorable experiences!

Thank you so much for leaving this awesome review! I really enjoyed surfing with you and Zarah and the kids! I will definitely show this review to Joanna because she never gets a review. Lol. Please come back and visit us again even if it's just to say hello!