“Our favorite 2 hours on Maui”

Hang Loose Surf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf and Stand-Up Paddle Lessons for guys and girls of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
Reviewed September 6, 2015 via mobile

I've never written a Tripadvisor review before but we had such a great time I felt compelled to rave about our fantastic surf lesson with Abner! I researched many places prior to making our reservation and I'm so glad we found Hang Loose Surf Club. The Lahaina breakwall has great conditions and is therefore very popular for lessons. We went early on a Sunday morning when the crowds were light. Abner was a wonderful instructor. We felt safe and well-informed after our introductory land lesson. Once in the water he worked with us individually and all three of us (mom with 2 teens) got up on our first run. We each had time for 5-6 runs. It was a blast! We were happy to go with a small locally owned company. Abner and his wife were such likeable people. The semiprivate lesson for the 3 of us was perfect and we loved the included certificates for the pizza and treats from Banyan Treats!

Reviewed August 23, 2015

My 3 children ages 15 - 23 and I did a private lesson with Abner. He was a great coach - very patient and helpful - and all of us got up the the board a number of times. This is a small shop - I believe its just Abner and his wife - and they were very friendly and accommodating. His wife got a bunch of great pictures of us up on the boards. We wanted to rent boards again during the week to try on our own, and even though the shop was going to be closed the afternoon we wanted to rent they made special arrangements to get boards to us, really going above and beyond. Shop is conveniently located right in downtown Lahaina, and the beach for lessons was just a couple minutes walk. Conditions were excellent - small waves that were big enough to surf but very much for beginners. I had originally been looking at one of the larger surf schools and they weren't available the day we wanted. I am so glad we ended up at Hang Loose instead, it was such a personal experience and I don't think we would have had that at larger school. We had a fantastic time and I wish Abner and Joanna all the best!

Reviewed August 22, 2015 via mobile

Abner and Joanna were the nicest people we've ever met. My husband and I have never surfed but Abner taught us well and we rode lots of waves. We met other couples that surfed elsewhere and didn't even get up on their boards! We had tons of fun, paid a very reasonable price and made the BEST memories. We can't wait to go back and surf with Hang Loose Surf Club!

Reviewed August 16, 2015

We had a private family lesson with our son who was 7 and some other friends. We had great coaching and so much fun. Abner, our instructor was excellent, super patient with our 7 year old and fun. We all got up on the first wave and now we are hooked. If you are looking for a great place with friendly instructors, reasonable rates and a great experience don't even think twice about going with Hang Loose. The shop is close to the beach and it was an easy walk with the boards to get going quickly. They supplied everything we needed and it was one of the best things we did while staying in Lahaina.

Reviewed August 13, 2015 via mobile

Our children (11 and 9) enjoyed a private lesson for 2 hours. The instruction with Kevin was thorough and the surfing was fun. Both children were able to get up on their boards and surf within minutes of entering the water. Pizza lunch at Prison Street Pizza and Banyan Tree shaved ice included-Yum! Great pictures and even better memories. Abner and Kevin were great! Highly recommend.