“Best surf club on Maui!”

Hang Loose Surf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Surf and Stand-Up Paddle Lessons for guys and girls of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best surf club on Maui!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The folks at Hang Loose Surf Club are just what we were looking for in a surf experience! These local guys have a great location right in the heart of Lahina town, mere steps from the surf spot that they grew up surfing themselves.
We had so much fun in our lesson, that we went back another day and rented surf boards. All the people in the shop were welcoming and encouraging, and our instructor even gave us more surf tips as we were standing around the shop- so friendly!
Bottom line, Hang Loose Surf Club is an awesome Hawaiian-owned small business, and they made it so fun and easy to support them! This is the only surf school we will attend on Maui, and we can't wait to go back. Thanks, Bula, Abner, Kalena, Sarah, and everyone at Hang Loose Surf Club, you guys are da bomb!!

1 Thank LaraRaine

Bellevue, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“We love the folks at Hang Loose!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My eleven-year-old twins had the best experience ever with Hang Loose! They had their first lesson on Christmas Day with Bulla, got up on their feet right away, and loved it so much we returned for a second lesson the following week. Abner, his wife, Bulla and Kalena were so kind, funny, and had just the right approach with the kids. The photos on the CD that Abner's wife prepared for us were awesome and captured the kids' delighted expressions perfectly. We can't wait to go back and spend more time on the waves with them!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank karenolas
HangLooseSurfClub, Owner at Hang Loose Surf Club, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for the great review! We hope to see you and the twins back soon! Aloha!
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lots of fun, friendly, locals knowledge to success!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was our first time trying paddle boarding. They go over all the basics of what to do out there and how. They are very friendly, patient, and helpful to help you get to where you are comfortable out there on your own. Family owned by local natives who share their knowledge of the land, sea, animals, other shops and restaurants around. Convenient location right in downtown Lahaina, 2 minute walk to the beach with beautiful views. Definitely would recommend to others and plan to come back here next time in Maui!

1 Thank April M
HangLooseSurfClub, Owner at Hang Loose Surf Club, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Mahalo for the awesome review! See you guys next year! Maybe surf lessons. Aloha!
Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great, Fun, Wonderful Experience!”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I live/work in Lahaina, and I sell activities (such as surf lessons!) I called up Hang Loose Surf Club so I could become more familiar with them, and possibly learn the art of surfing as well! I brought my roommate with me; he had some experience surfing, but not a lot. Both my roommate and I agree that, in terms of surfing and "extreme sports" lessons, these guys were the BEST we have experienced. They're local; they've been surfing most/all of their lives; they're extremely chill, and like to have fun. They take the complexity out of surfing, and keep it simple.

I'm not much of a swimmer, I'm tall/goony/un-coordinated, and I caught my first wave within the first 30-45 minutes of the lesson. It was fun. I HIGHLY recommend these guys, as they are the best I have encountered.

You start out on the beach (wonderful idea) before going into the water (On the beach, they show you the techniques, and different things you're able to do) This allows you to learn the motion before being in the water.

They were also willing to help me assist with my GoPro, and they also offer a photographer! She will go out and take pictures of your surf lesson/surfing/wipe-outs, etc. and will load them all onto a disk available for purchase.

Go with these guys. Trust me! I sell all of the surfing companies, and these are the first guys I call up

1 Thank T9241SXmichaelk
Thank you for the awesome review! We had a great time also surfing with you guys! Maybe we can see some of the footage from your gopro! Mahalo and Aloha! See you soon!
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great SUP lesson”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had a great time on the low-key stand-up paddleboard lesson. Was supposed to be a group lesson but at 8am I was the only one signed up, so it was "prvate." Mistake - the waterTotal success.

1 Thank SeattleVeggie
HangLooseSurfClub, Owner at Hang Loose Surf Club, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your great review! Hope to see you again next year! Mahalo from the Abner Nakihei (owner).