“Super Nice Instructors, Everyone Got Up”

Island Style Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: We are located at The Whaler's Village Shopping Center in Kaanapali. A booth on the boardwalk near the ocean. We are adjacent to Leilani's on the Beach Restaurant. Look for the booth that says "Maui Dive and Surf" and "Island Style Adventures"....we're the surf instructors in the yellow shirts! We are locally owned and take pride in offering a 5 star experience, we boast the smallest student:instructor ratio of 3:1 on the island. With service being our number one priority (actually second to safety), our personable staff that are Lifeguard and CPR certified, will ensure that you have the time of your life. Be careful though, you just might become one of the many returning guests that become "family" to us! Can't wait to have you join us for some serious fun in the sun!
Wichita, Kansas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Super Nice Instructors, Everyone Got Up”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

These guys are terrific. We had a group 6 (adults ranging in age from 50 to 36) two young adults and my 8 year old son. We had a brief lesson on land, complete with safety talk (you have to be careful on Kaanapali....lots of coral reef so NO DIVING INTO OCEAN), and before we knew it we were all paddling out to start. It is nice that you always have an instructor nearby...they have someone lining you up, 3 instructors getting you started on waves, and a terrific photographer. I didn't think we'd buy pictures, since we had grandma and aunt taking pics on the beach, but their pictures were awesome, and the price was very nice. We bought a CD and shared it amongst ourselves. Will definitely look them up the next time we are in town. Highly recommend for kids and other first-timers. I am a 36 year old stay at home mom, and I was able to get up the first time! So moms, just don't let dad take the kids to this attraction, get out there with them. They say that the moms are some of their best students because we are the best listeners. So glad I did it, got some awesome pictures of me surfing with my son. A must do.

Visited August 2013

Lombard IL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“BEST business”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I went to Island Style Adventures to rent a kayak to take a remembrance of my recently deceased mother out into the ocean. Kaanapali has-important significance for me, as my mother brought me there when I was a teenager. It was extremely windy and for my safety they refused my request, however Steve behind the counter understood how important this was and offered to take me out himself. Steve paddled the double kayak and was authentically supportive of my memorial, sharing his own experience with a parent's death. Because of the wind Rick also paddled out to ensure we returned safely. Steve even arranged for a photographer on the beach to photograph the event. If I could give Island Style a 10 I would. They are FANTASTIC.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Lou S
California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Paddle Boarding in Kaanapali”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I along with our daughter (14 yrs) and son (12 yrs) took paddle board lessons with our guide, Jay and Christian on Kaanapali Beach for 2 hrs. We had the best time, the intructions were great, very helpful in getting us up on our feet. Jay gave us insights about the area, we paddled around the black rock, and felt very much at home on the paddle board after only 45 minutes. The area was perfect for paddle boarding. I highly recommend this group for your lessons, Mahalo!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Jay O
Jeri D, Manager at Island Style Adventures, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
We are thrilled that you had a great time with us doing a SUP lesson! Please visit again....surfing next time :) Mahalo Nui Loa!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Riding waves at Kaanapali Point by the end of our first lesson”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had two teenagers (15 and 16) and two adults taking surfing lessons with Dave and Tyler . We had a quick lesson on land and hit the water. The instructors were a great help in the water catching a wave and didn't give too many instructions. Usually told you one thing you did wrong so you could work on that the next wave. At the end of the 2 hour lesson, all 4 of us were consistently catching waves to the beach with Dave and Tyler's help and a couple of us were riding a couple of waves without their help staring out. Overall it was one of the highlights on Maui.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank bigdog2525
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Surfing Kaanapali Beach, Maui HI”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have visited Kaanapali Beach in Maui four times over the last five years and each time we have stayed at the Kaanapali Alli and surfed with Island Style Adventure Surf School.

Our boys are 14 and 9 on this fourth trip and the 14 year old has been surfing with Island Style Adventure Surf School since our first trip when he was 9 and our 9 year old has been surfing each of the last two trips. The surf school offers two hour lessons. The first thirty minutes is spent teaching what to do once you get in the water. The next hour half is in the water and you will be amazed at how fast they get you up and on your board and surfing.

After a few of the class sessions, our boys have preferred to have semi-private and private lessons, where they do not have to go through the thirty minutes on the beach learning what to do and they get to go directly to the water and start surfing.

On this trip we have also discovered several of surf schools on Kaanapali beach. Island Style Adventure Surf School is the best priced, offers the longest lesson time at two hours and has great instructors.

The instructors are good working with the boys and also with adults. My wife and I have also both used Island Style Adventure Surf School for surf lessons.

We would highly recommend staying at the Kaanaplai Alli and surfing with Island Style Adventure Surf School.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Chris S
Jeri D, Owner at Island Style Adventures, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you Chris Spencer! Having you and your two sons allow us to be a part of your vacation time and time again is indeed a pleasure of ours. Don't forget to lube up in the sun :) Mahalo Nui Loa!