“Don't Miss It!”

Maui Spearfishing Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Be PROUD of the fish you catch and the skill you gain with Maui Spearfishing Academy! We only target big Game and Invasive species. We'll teach you how to dive and hunt in a sustainable a respectful way. Let us be the highlight of your trip. Just look at our reviews!
Reviewed July 28, 2013

What you'll learn on a first-time outing with Bobby Twitchell: techniques for holding your breath far, far longer than you thought possible (rhythmic breathing and visualization are key); how to identify tasty fish and those that must be avoided; how to get DEEP while conserving precious energy and oxygen; and of course how to shoot a speargun :-). I was able to reach 40+ feet with Bobby's instruction, deeper than the 25 feet that I had thought was respectable. You'll also learn how to descend from the surface in a "quiet" manner that avoids splashing and spooking the fish. Entry is from the beach or rocks, so no worries about boats/sea sickness. Bobby explains that while it's easy to spear any old reef fish, that approach leads to a reef depleted of the colorful creatures that draw us there in the first place. Thus his focus mostly on the roi, or grouper, a species that has wreaked havoc on native fish populations. Go with a pro: Bobby was born and raised on Maui and knows choice spots for freediving and fishing; he's reached almost 200 feet depth (!) with just mask and fins. His manner with clients was professional, polite and educational (he's a former school teacher).

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"excellent instruction"
"experience level"

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Out of everything we did in Maui this was the best. We learned a lot from Bobby about the freediving sport. We also visited some of the best diving spots away from the crowds and swam to a hidden lagoon by swimming under rocks. Pretty cool.
Our main target was the roi and blue strip snapper. Although there were hundreds of fish and 5 or 6 sea turtles around, even saw some lobsters
Will be looking forward to next trip

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I learned a bunch from Bobby and was able to get down to 45ft my first time free diving in the Ocean! I had a great time!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Spearfishing has always been on my "bucket list" and I can't imagine a much better person to learn and experience this sport through for my first time than Bobby Twitchell. His attention to details, his laid back demeanor, and his experience as a free diver, spear fisher, Maui native, and a Teacher is unparalleled. It was only my second time snorkeling and maybe my 5th time in the ocean, I have never considered myself to be a strong swimmer or diver so I was a bit nervous. Bobby had the uncanny ability to keep me calm and enjoy the trip throughout even far out in the open ocean. A truly great guy who really loves the sport and has a passion for teaching others. The training he has provided is invaluable, I feel at home in the ocean now and I know I have the core techniques to build upon for the rest of my life. I can't thank him enough. This was the best part of my trip.

Also:
I also saw about 10 turtles, a puffer fish, a sweet zebra striped eel, and many other cool creatures that I could not find even on the dive charter I went on later that week. The dive charter cost just as much if not more than this and was not nearly as thrilling. A great value for the price.

Remember to put sunscreen on the backs of your legs (=

See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2013

You won't be disappointed spending time spearfishing with Bobby! My boys (ages 16, 13) and I did a half day with Bobby (and Noah) and learned great tips about holding our breath, identifying fish, and using the spear gun. None of us had been spearfishing before and this was the best thing we could have done to learn the sport. Bobby is an excellent teacher and relates well to both kids and adults. Not only did we learn to how to spear fish but we learned breathing and diving techniques that we can build upon the next time we go.

Don't forget to take Bobby up on his recommendations for lunch after fishing --we went to his favorite sandwich place afterwards --be sure to order the Ahi Steak sandwich --amazing!