Tripadvisor
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Recommended experiences in and around Maui
from $31.74
from $79.95
from $78.23
from $37.50
More Info
All reviews bring water lots of water great hike hiking shoes wind turbines challenging hike running shoes start early gets hot hot sunny day views are amazing volcanic rock take your time the north end both sides tunnel windmill
Selected filters
Reviewed December 11, 2019

Nice drive around the north end of Maui. Stopped for coconut candy and banana bread and visited with “Julia” and mongoose friends. One lane highway created some excitement!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

I wish I had finished this trail but that day last summer was hot and I made the mistake to start after 10 am. Anyhow I was able to see great views as I was climbing up. I could see from the distance Molokini.

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed June 14, 2019 via mobile

This hike is challenging but rewarding with many vistas as you climb up towards the top where the wind turbines are. You start at the side of the main Hwy 30. The trail head and parking is just before you get to the tunnel if you are heading from Lahaina towards Maalea (where the charter boats are). After you pass Ukumehame park on the right, look for the parking lot on the left.

If you miss it, you will have to go through the tunnel and turn around at the view point. Coming the other way, after you go through the tunnel, it’s a few turns until you get to the parking area on your right.

At the start, you follow a wide, old road before heading left into the trail that is basically uphill. The area is dry, desolate and full of lava rocks, large and small. Be careful as many of them are loose on the trail.

We hiked in our running shoes but next time, I will bring proper hiking boots as it would be easy to twist an ankle.

As others have said, bring lots of water, a hat and cover up. It’s really exposed and dry. It will take about 2 hours to climb up.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank ccriderYVR
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

If you can find the parking area. You're all set to get a workout and get sun baked. We obviously went in May and it was pretty darn hot and limited shade to take a break. I've never been to Mars, but if it wasn't for the scenery, it sure felt like it.

Bring water, wear good hiking shoes or boots, sunblock and a hat.

We did the 2.5 mile up yo the turbines and had our lunch under the heat lamp. But the cool breeze gave us some relief.

Enjoy.

PS- the parking is before the tunnel on the inland side of the freeway, coming from Lahaina towards the airport. It's obvious, if you're looking for it. We weren't, we followed Google maps and it had us all over the place.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank gordfox
Reviewed March 19, 2019 via mobile

I am an avid hiker and this is a great hike. It is a moderate hike. The views are awesome. Parking is hard to find because it’s not marked, so here are the directions: from Lahaina go towards the only tunnel..right before the tunnel and after the camping beach there is a parking area on the left. Have fun and wear sunscreen and take plenty of water

Date of experience: March 2019