“Westin KOR”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fayetteville, NC
“Westin KOR”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Very Nice stay! 2wk owner - 6th floor ocean view was magnificent!. Snorkeling is as good as the Sheraton Black Rock - many turtles! Agree the sandy beach is limited due to the closeness of the coral, but this is great for kids snorkeling - not too far to swim!

Also agree the pool @ times is a little too cold - I think Westin mat be limiting the heater usage due to fuel costs!

The Resort restaurant is "OK" - lots of other otions in nearby Lahaina/Kapalua. Poolside service good.

Intoductory SCUBA available onsite as is PDAI certification - a plus.

Construction of similar KOR North units not a problem unless you face that way - request pool view and you'll be OK.

Used shuttle to/from Westin Maui/Sheraton Black Rock frequently - runs often and free. Also, safe for teens who don't drive to get to/from Whaler's village etc. Very safe.

Bob K.

11 Thank Bobk61

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 29, 2006

Maui is my favorite Hawaiian Island, and after a week there, I can say the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort is an ideal place for families. The pluses are beachfront with ocean views, a cool minimalist design, well appointed suites (all with kitchens, DVD/CD players, bose stereo, washer/dryer), luxurious bathrooms, great clientele (this is not party central), friendly non-obtrusive staff, a small but functional gym, a concierge who can refer you to restaurants and activities, and free shuttle service to the mall (Whaler's Village) for your teenagers. It's not uncommon to see 3 generations travelling together. There is a really nice poolside bar with TVs. People say the pool is chilly, but I didn't find that at all. If you'd like, you can rent you own poolside cabana. The studio suites are an enormous value compared to smaller, older hotel rooms in Kaanapali that don't have kitchens or washer/dryers.

Westin keeps this place IMMACULATE, as they should because they are successfully selling interval ownership units (timeshares) in this resort and its Phase II next door, which is 80% completed. We attended their timeshare presentation, which was professional and informative, without any hard-sell guilt trips. If you're in the market for an interval ownership, Westin is a great operator.

What's the downside? If you're not paying top dollar, you may only have a sliver of an ocean view, or be looking across the way into another building or into the parking lot, but that's only fair. Freebie upgrades to the best units went out with the 1990's. Currently, you're not within walking distance of shops and restaurants. The on-site general store and restaurant are okay in a pinch, but pricey. There are plans to add more shops and restaurants within walking distance, along with the Phase II Westin Villas and an adjacent condo project. Finally, traffic has become more of an issue in West Maui, but is bearable.

If you buy here or stay here, I strongly recommend getting out to see other parts of Maui. We toured the volcano in the afternoon and it was great (have breakfast at the Kula Lodge on the way up). Swimming with fish and seeing an occasional sea turtle is something I'll never get tired of (we snorkeled). If you can, spend a night or two in Hana (the hotel Hana-Maui is very romantic and has a nice spa). It's a scenic drive and it's really like visiting another island (have breakfast in the town of Paia and check out the stores on Baldwin Ave.). Stop along the way to check out some of the funky places on the road to Hana. Go to the 7 sacred pools at the state park and the other beaches in Hana, or go horseback riding. Another good excursion is Makena beach in Wailea or the Winery near Wailea; bring a book, a cooler, and have a picnic lunch--heaven. Enjoy your trip!

14 Thank UnbiasedReviewer
Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2006

We, too, read all the reviews and were a little nervous about what to expect. When we arrived, the place was just gorgeous. We loved the lobby, pool area, beach area, garage parking, etc. The staff were so so nice, very laid back, friendly and helpful! Our room, as we expected, faced the construction, but was also an "ocean view". We had read on the reviews that some ocean views were just barely that, but ours was such that we could have watched the sun set over the ocean had we stayed in our room at sunset! Beautiful! We could see mountains the other direction, which was a treat as well. The room was immaculate, felt like home with a big kitchen with granite countertops, the truly heavenly bed, tons of room, cozy robes, double-headed shower, etc. We were pleasantly surprised they gave us dish soap, dishwasher powder, Tide and Bounce, paper towels, etc.! As for the construction noise, it wasn't as bad as others have said, but it did start promptly at 7am. They were usually done and gone by 4pm though, and it wasn't bothersome to us at all. The pool was beautiful and yes, it was cool, but what a refreshing dip after sitting in that hot sun. We even played on the water slide (we're in our 30s). The beach was gorgeous and not crowded at all. There were many people snorkeling the reefs just 10 feet offshore behind the hotel. Overall, this place was great, we weren't bothered by a timeshare presentation, and it was clean and comfy. We will definitely return here again in the future... we can't wait to see the new part completed next year!

18 Thank atfred
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Upon arriving at the Westin Kaanapali Villas, we were given a "studio" room. On my reservation from my travel company it specifically states "deluxe ocean view suite." The Villas view was that their studio is indeed considered a suite. After many phone calls between my travel agent and the front desk, we were moved 24 hours later into a 1 bedroom suite. After the inital mishap, our stay was supurb. I was very concerned after reading the reviews on this site, but was surprised at how well I liked the resort after getting the correct room. Yes, the pool was cold...but refreshing after laying in the hot Maui sun. Yes, there is construction going on...thankfully building additional rooms, a spa, a new kid's club, and kid's pool. The construction noise was a non-issue if you are used to living in ANY size of a city. We hope to go back and possibly even purchase a timeshare @ this resort, which by the way...we were not even approached about while staying there. I understand that this is usually not the case and that everyone is "invited" to the timeshare sales pitch, however we were not (not that it bothers me any, we'll just go next time to see what is offered!) Concerning comments about the staff, most of the staff we encountered were very friendly and tried to be helpful. There were a couple of front desk attendants that were a little less than friendly and not so helpful, but overall, it was fine. The kid's club is FANTASTIC! We had a hard time convincing our five year old to come with us rather than go there. All in all, I had a great trip and can't wait to return and hopefully get the correct room on the first try!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san francisco, ca
Reviewed June 17, 2006

Wonderful resort! As you frist step into the lobby, you are breathless as you look out onto the clear blue ocean. Helpful and friendly staff. We stayed in a one bedroom villa, which had 2 queen beds in 1 bedroom and a pull out couch in the living room. Large Kitchen with a full sized refridgerator. There was an electric oven and stove top with a microwave. Also included in the kitchen was a toaster, a blender and coffee maker. The pool was divided by a small waterfall - one side about a foot deep and the other side ranging from 2.5 feet to 4 feet. There are also 2 hot tubs. The general store sold everything from sundaries, gifts, beach toys, coffee, and even take and bake dinners. The "heavenly beds" were very comfortable. We stayed on the side facing the construction. However, we hardly heard the noise because the glass doors were so thick. However, the construction did start about 7am. There aren't that many spaces to park underground and they tell you to park outside, but if you do happen to get a spot underground, the elevators from the lot to your room can be very convenient. However, walking through the beautiful lobby and pool to get to your room isn't so bad either. The accommodations were very clean and comfortable and the biggest decision we had to make each day was...beach or pool?

5 Thank OandO
los angeles
Reviewed June 14, 2006

We were worried about staying here with the earlier reviews that were so negative. We decided to try the property and we took my mom as well. My mom stayed in the lovely studio with an ocean view and my husband and I were upgraded to a 1 bedroom ocean view villa. It is the most beautiful spacious comfortable property we have ever stayed in. The heavenly shower and the jacuzzi tub are awesome everyday and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. We were also there on business so having the high speed internet in the room was excellent and their service provider is superb. There is a full kitchen (dishwasher, disposal, fridge, stove, and microwave) with granite counter tops. We are going to be building our own home in Maui in 3 years and I have asked the property who did their tile work it is so spectacular. The grounds are beautiful and very manageable and the shuttle to the other Kaanapali Starwood resorts is a nice change when you do not want to drive. There is LOTS of parking and always available. The service was great and checkin and checkout was very fast. There was a true feeling of Aloha at this property!

4 Thank luv2travel1stclass
St. Charles
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I just completed a one week stay with my husband, 13 year old son, 11 year old daughter and my mother. We are owners at the Sheraton Vistana Villages in Florida and switched out to this one. We stayed in a two bedroom ocean view lockoff in building 3, 6th floor. Our villa faced the park, parking lot and had a partial view of the ocean. I'll address two recurrent issues in postings:
THE VIEW: Contrary to the many irritated reveiwers on the site, I did not have any problems with my view and enjoyed spending time on the balcony in the evening.
CONSTRUCTION: I was not on the construction side. Therefore I would not have been able to tell construction was going on had I not seen the crane when driving up to the property.
I think both of these issues are VERY overblown unless you are on the construction side.

POSITIVES:
* Wonderful rooms typical of the Westin. Spacious, minimalist Westin decor, Westin beds.
* Beautiful!!! ocean view from the pool, lobby and restaurant area
* Easy access to the beach
* Shuttle to other Starwood hotels and to shopping in Whaler's Village
* Responsive concierges helped with activites and dining options.
* Clean towels quickly provided.
NEGATIVES:
* Yes, the pool is COLD. I can't understand why when it was 88 degrees. My kids only went in a few of the days.
* Food at the restaurant was terrible!!!!!! The breakfast buffet was the worst.
* Check out is at 10:00am. They have a late stay lounge (which is nice) with lockers and a shower room which was DISGUSTING by the time we wanted to use it at 4:00pm. Wet towels all over the floor. No washcloths. No soap/shampoo. ICK!

HANDICAPPED ISSUES
* Housekeeping had a shower chair for my mom to use in the shower.
* Villas are close to the pool / restaruant area which helped since my mom is partially handicapped and can't walk long distances
* Westin's wheelchair is old and rickety. Order one in ADVANCE from a vendor - the places they referred us to were booked up

OTHER
* BUY FOOD AND COOK IN THE VILLAS!!! Most of our dining out dinners were so-so yet cost $300 for the five of us. There are nice grills on property
* Rent and reserve a shaded cabana IN ADVANCE for your check out day. That gives you a place to hang out once you leave your villa.
* Go to dinner at the Heile Meili General Store. PHENOMINAL.

Overall I enjoyed my week but probably won't go back to Maui. Too many other new places to see and nothing there I couldn't get elsewhere.

Enjoy your stay!

10 Thank BlessedandLoved
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!